Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Tznius buttondown shirts for larger than B-cup

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:46 am
Is there such a thing? Are there particular features you've found help? I was a b-cup before I ever got pregnant and the only buttondown that ever fit properly (I.e. didn't pull to expose my bra but didn't hang like a sack) had two adjacent buttons where you'd normally find one right above and right below the bustline. I haven't seen such a thing since and was thinking to try to sew one, but I'm also significantly bigger now and not sure if it's even worth trying until I'm done nursing. Tips appreciated even if if you don't think it'll work for larger than a C- I guess I'll be down there again eventually and I'd love to wear a non-knit top again someday.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 8:23 am
I am a D/DD and always have been. Luckily uniform shirts are similar in cut to garbage bags so I didnt have a problem with those but outside of school I never wear button down shirts because they dont close.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 9:11 am
With a sweater, vest or dress on top.
If you can find one with princess seams that's cut well, it would look good. But those are hard to find.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:21 am
You can buy special tape to keep the shirt from pulling open between buttons.

You can buy a larger size and have it tailored to fit you better.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:36 am
amother wrote:
Is there such a thing? Are there particular features you've found help? I was a b-cup before I ever got pregnant and the only buttondown that ever fit properly (I.e. didn't pull to expose my bra but didn't hang like a sack) had two adjacent buttons where you'd normally find one right above and right below the bustline. I haven't seen such a thing since and was thinking to try to sew one, but I'm also significantly bigger now and not sure if it's even worth trying until I'm done nursing. Tips appreciated even if if you don't think it'll work for larger than a C- I guess I'll be down there again eventually and I'd love to wear a non-knit top again someday.

do u wear them with sweaters or alone?

the skinnyshirt gives the look of a button down but isnt actually..

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:55 am
Now that I think about it, that shirt that fit well in high school may have princess seams. I'll have to see if I still have it to check- it must have had either those or darts because it definitely didn't look like a man's shirt.

I can't for the life of me find a style that is comfortable to wear in hot weather, is tznius, but doesn't look like a garbage bag. I was hoping to find an opaque quilting cotton and sew a buttondown- I have instructions in a book of how to make the pattern.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:08 pm
I am much larger than a b cup. Button down shirts dont fit me. period. They are either too tight in the chest or too big in the body. when I want that look, I always put a sweater over it.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:14 pm
My guess is that you're extremely slender, so that shirts that fit your bust don't fit your waist. I'd suggest Loft, which fit my larger bust quite well, but they would likely be too baggy for you.

Or you can sew in an extra button on the placket.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:39 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
My guess is that you're extremely slender, so that shirts that fit your bust don't fit your waist. I'd suggest Loft, which fit my larger bust quite well, but they would likely be too baggy for you.

Or you can sew in an extra button on the placket.

Slender possibly, though definitely not extremely so with a 23 BMI. Extra buttons (one extra per spot that would normally have one within the bust curve) are in my plans. I'm thinking now, would a wider-than-usual placket help?

What styles do you like from Loft? I'm looking at their site and it's hard to gauge based on how the shirts fit their models.

juggling

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:45 pm
How about sewing snaps in to a store-bought top, between the buttons?

Also, sometimes you can find woven tops that don't have buttons. They usually are a pullover style with a more open neckline. You'd probably need a shell, but I find that works okay even in the summer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics