Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Has anyone done a keratin or similar hair treatment?

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 6:40 pm
I am looking for a way to get my hair to look beautiful, glossy, silky smooth - but I don't want to spend time styling it after every shower. Is there any treatment anyone can recommend that can make it look nice with minimal effort?

Also, my hairline has been receding since I started covering my hair a few years ago and was wondering if anyone has any advice for how to deal with that?

(post title edited for clarity and specificity)

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 6:43 pm
I recently switched to Pantene shampoo and conditioner and my hair has really improved.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:27 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I recently switched to Pantene shampoo and conditioner and my hair has really improved.

I find that switching shampoos always help for a short period of time, but then my hair gets used to it.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:29 pm
I did the keratin treatment many times and love it. It's worth every penny. I would give you different advice based on what your hair is like.
Is your hair thick? Very very curly? Which area is the hardest to manage?

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 10:03 pm
amother wrote:
I did the keratin treatment many times and love it. It's worth every penny. I would give you different advice based on what your hair is like.

Don't mean to take over your thread OP but I have been thinking about have a keratin treatment too.
My hair is frizzy, thick and course. Using a flat iron just gives me course, brittle straight hair. If I have my hair professionally blown I do get better results.
I've always wondered if a keratin treatment will leave my hair course and brittle or if it adds silkiness.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
Don't mean to take over your thread OP but I have been thinking about have a keratin treatment too.
My hair is frizzy, thick and course. Using a flat iron just gives me course, brittle straight hair. If I have my hair professionally blown I do get better results.
I've always wondered if a keratin treatment will leave my hair course and brittle or if it adds silkiness.

If I were you I would totally do the keratin. Don't wash your hair for the full three days or even more if you can. Your hair will be pretty flat for the first two weeks after washing but after that it starts to get a fullness and natural wave back then it will just be silkier, straighter and smoother for a few months. I also have coarse, frizzy, curly hair which takes 45 minutes to do, and for ~4 months after getting keratin I really don't have to blow my hair. It has a soft wave. If I have an event I'll blow my hair for 5 minutes and it looks perfect.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 10:45 pm
Ditto - not the OP - sorry - may I ask you Peach what you would recommend for me? I have thinnish slightly wavy long hair, with short ish hair in random places like on the sides and by my neck. in general not a lot of hair, it falls out a lot. I think just at least having it sleek will be an improvement. is keratin for me?

TY

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 10:48 pm
amother wrote:

My hair is actually not hard to manage at all. It looks fine, but I want it to look nice, not just passable. It is medium thick, wavy and a bit frizzy. It would take me maybe 15 or 20 minutes to style it, but I feel lazy about that kind of thing, and if I could get a treatment done to make it smooth and non-frizzy without any upkeep, I would do it.

I want a glamorous sheet of long hair, but I don't know if keratin can do that? Also, my hair falls out a lot especially when I try to grow it out.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:15 pm
amother wrote:
Ditto - not the OP - sorry - may I ask you Peach what you would recommend for me? I have thinnish slightly wavy long hair, with short ish hair in random places like on the sides and by my neck. in general not a lot of hair, it falls out a lot. I think just at least having it sleek will be an improvement. is keratin for me?

TY

Hm! You might not like it. It makes your hair much flatter especially for the first month or so. And often the women doing the treatment miss some baby hairs. Your hair would probably look stick thin and very very flat and the baby hairs would be the first to start acting up.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:30 pm
amother wrote:
Hm! You might not like it. It makes your hair much flatter especially for the first month or so. And often the women doing the treatment miss some baby hairs. Your hair would probably look stick thin and very very flat and the baby hairs would be the first to start acting up.

thanks

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:
My hair is actually not hard to manage at all. It looks fine, but I want it to look nice, not just passable. It is medium thick, wavy and a bit frizzy. It would take me maybe 15 or 20 minutes to style it, but I feel lazy about that kind of thing, and if I could get a treatment done to make it smooth and non-frizzy without any upkeep, I would do it.

I want a glamorous sheet of long hair, but I don't know if keratin can do that? Also, my hair falls out a lot especially when I try to grow it out.

So it definitely makes your hair silky, smooth, and straighter. Maybe if I were you I'd keep the treatment in for full two days. If you keep it in three days you'll prob have to deal with flat hair for at least a month. This way it could be an experiment, since the results won't last longer than 4-6 months tops.
FYI you may still need to blow your hair for two minutes in the morning.
I think it's worth a shot!

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:50 pm
PSA:
You need to use special keratin shampoo&conditioner for the next few months after the treatment and they are EXPENSIVE. Ranges from $18-30 a bottle. Count that into the price.

Also, the week after you wash the treatment out your hair will be super super flat.

champion

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 3:41 am
I did it a couple years ago.
It will make your hair nice and shiny but it won't be straight unless you blow it right after the shower.
And you have to use special shampoo.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 4:32 am
FYI if you cover your hair - which OP, at least, mentioned she does - you need to leave your hair down and straight for the complete two or three days. No ponytails etc. Not sure how you would manage that. (I did the treatments when I was single.)

champion

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 4:35 am
I did the treatment married. Having it covered did not effect the treatment.
I did it in the evening. lousely tied my hair up and drove home. then I left it down the rest of the evening.
The next morning I covered as usual.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
FYI if you cover your hair - which OP, at least, mentioned she does - you need to leave your hair down and straight for the complete two or three days. No ponytails etc. Not sure how you would manage that. (I did the treatments when I was single.)

It's true that that's the rule but I actually put it in a loose pony and it's totally fine. When I get home I take it down.

ariellabella

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:44 am
If you do it, watch out for formalin/formaldehyde. Make sure your formula has an alternative straightener/smoother.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:58 am
ariellabella wrote:
If you do it, watch out for formalin/formaldehyde. Make sure your formula has an alternative straightener/smoother.

The ones at home are nowhere near as good as the ones in the salon...but you can definitely ask the salon to see the bottle. They give you a mask the entire time anyway. (Although my doctor still doesn't let me do it when I'm pregnant).

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
So it definitely makes your hair silky, smooth, and straighter. Maybe if I were you I'd keep the treatment in for full two days. If you keep it in three days you'll prob have to deal with flat hair for at least a month. This way it could be an experiment, since the results won't last longer than 4-6 months tops.
FYI you may still need to blow your hair for two minutes in the morning.
I think it's worth a shot!

Ok I just scheduled it! Thanks for your help. Wish me luck Smile

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
Ok I just scheduled it! Thanks for your help. Wish me luck Smile

Best of luck!! Check in a few weeks to let us know how you like it! This is a good thread for people who are considering it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics