Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is there a way to make this work?

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:01 am
I'm a single mother of two elementary school age kids. My take-home pay after taxes and medical insurance deductions is about $3,300/month. I live in a large frum community in NY (threrefore high cost of living). I am curious if anyone sees a way to make this work, or if it makes sense with that income that I need rely on my parents to help make ends meet.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:06 am
I am in similar situation like you. Income about same with 4 kids in similar community. I am struggling to pay bills. I cannot rely on parents for regular support and no child support from their father to speak of. I just signed up for child health plus. And I get other such help. But still very tight.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:10 am
Well it certainly is very little money. The good news is, it includes health insurance. The really high expenses are tuition and housing. How much is left after that?

Cmon be nice

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:12 am
Depends on your rent mainly. Also are you eligible for food stamps? That would help

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
I'm a single mother of two elementary school age kids. My take-home pay after taxes and medical insurance deductions is about $3,300/month. I live in a large frum community in NY (threrefore high cost of living). I am curious if anyone sees a way to make this work, or if it makes sense with that income that I need rely on my parents to help make ends meet.

others will do the cheshbon for you - but I think you mean, Do Ineed to rely on an additional source of funds to make ends meet? You never get to 'need to rely on your parents'. Its great if your parents can be your additional source of funds, if you find your self needing funds.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:59 am
I don't see the only two options as being A- making ends meet or B - relying on parents to supplement.
If your parents generously offer, that is between the two of you.

However, there are other possibilities, as others have offered: check out additional benefits, invest in career growth, reduce expenditures.

Good luck. Being a single Mom in a tough financial situation really sucks.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 1:05 pm
Thanks for your responses. I definitely don't think I am entitled to just rely on my parents if I feel like it. Right now the status quo is that my parents generously fill in to make ends meet so I phrased it based on that.

I should have been more clear what I was asking. My question is really that I do not make ends meet on my salary alone and I was curious whether people's reaction would be more in the category of: "How come you can't make ends meet with $3,200 a month? Sounds like enough to me" or more in the category of: "It would be really difficult for someone in your situation to make ends meet on that salary. It makes sense that you need another source of income."

I don't qualify for food stamps. Income guidelines for that obviously do not take into account the cost of frum living or the cost of housing in frum areas.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
others will do the cheshbon for you - but I think you mean, Do Ineed to rely on an additional source of funds to make ends meet? You never get to 'need to rely on your parents'. Its great if your parents can be your additional source of funds, if you find your self needing funds.

Yes, this is what I meant.

cnc

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 1:12 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for your responses. I definitely don't think I am entitled to just rely on my parents if I feel like it. Right now the status quo is that my parents generously fill in to make ends meet so I phrased it based on that.

I should have been more clear what I was asking. My question is really that I do not make ends meet on my salary alone and I was curious whether people's reaction would be more in the category of: "How come you can't make ends meet with $3,200 a month? Sounds like enough to me" or more in the category of: "It would be really difficult for someone in your situation to make ends meet on that salary. It makes sense that you need another source of income."

I don't qualify for food stamps. Income guidelines for that obviously do not take into account the cost of frum living or the cost of housing in frum areas.

It really depends on you rent and tuition - but living in NY it's very likely that you won't make ends meet.
tuition for two children and rent can easily exceed $3200.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 1:15 pm
Can u make time to do something on the side Like take a course or some direct selling, etc?
Hugs ur way cuz I know what it's like to not have enough time or money. Hope things get better

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 1:23 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Well it certainly is very little money. The good news is, it includes health insurance. The really high expenses are tuition and housing. How much is left after that?

I am left with less than $1,000/month after rent and tuition.

cnc

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
I am left with less than $1,000/month after rent and tuition.

It may be possible but you would be very tight.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 4:06 pm
It also helps if you are growing in your career. If you can expect consistent growth and pay raises you will see asking for outside help as temporary and not long term. It totally changes your mindset.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 5:35 pm
I agree with previous posts that it is possible but tight. I think it can be done without relying on parents but one would probably need to take advantage of other sources of assistance, such as school scholarships and clothing chessed stores or whatever they call them.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 7:10 pm
op I am same bracket as you. I have a little under 1000 left after tuition rent babysitting and insurance. I am in brooklyn. we get no help from parents. I live simply, no car or cleaning help and we manage. no debt.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
op I am same bracket as you. I have a little under 1000 left after tuition rent babysitting and insurance. I am in brooklyn. we get no help from parents. I live simply, no car or cleaning help and we manage. no debt.

You cover utilities, groceries, other household supplies/needs, and clothing for under $1000? Would you mind sharing how many children you have and their ages?

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 7:29 pm
amother wrote:
You cover utilities, groceries, other household supplies/needs, and clothing for under $1000? Would you mind sharing how many children you have and their ages?
I have 2 adults and 2 children and that sounds about right.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:10 pm
amother wrote:

I have a 4, 2 and five month old. I live in an apt building so as far as utilities I am only paying stove gas and electric.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:
Can u make time to do something on the side Like take a course or some direct selling, etc?
Hugs ur way cuz I know what it's like to not have enough time or money. Hope things get better

Thanks. Right now I am pretty maxed out between my job and taking care if my children by myself. I am very fortunate and grateful that my parents are willing and able to help out financially so that I don't have to take on more than I can handle and so I can be there for my kids. When my kids get a bit older I will definitely consider taking steps like you suggest.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics