Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How can I get free socks?

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 8:41 pm
Sorry for strange title. Basically we live on a tight budget, DH works two jobs and I also work, but tuition, camp, cars and mortgage add up. We generally don't have cleaning help, and try to use paper goods sparingly. We get most of our clothes hand me down or buy from used clothes stores, but there are some things that are difficult to get hand me down, one of them being socks! We have gotten barely used socks as hand me downs from people we knew, but that's pretty rare.
Another big expense is diapers and wipes, does anyone have any good tricks for getting diapers at a cheap price? (Cheaper than amazon)?
Thanks!!

Stars

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 8:43 pm
I buy diapers at my local family dollar. A case of 60 for $12. Target has them pretty cheap too.
No advice on the socks though, just hugs. Hope things look up for you soon.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 8:47 pm
What size socks do you need? And where do you live? Maybe I can help out.

justmarried:)

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 9:12 pm
you can pm me if you feel comfortable

Pooh

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 9:24 pm
Yes. Post size, I actually have some

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 9:30 pm
Would love to help!

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:01 pm
Thank you so much for your replies! I don't Ch"V mean to take from any of you, or ask someone else to spend money on me! I more was looking for "tricks" kind of things like places that give away free samples, or companies that manufacture too many or wrong sizes and give them away.
Sorry for not being clear!!

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:17 pm
I understand what you were asking but don't know of any of those. But would love to buy you some or give you if I have what you need.

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:18 pm
We buy socks at walmart for about 50 cents a pair. U can get a whole package of about 12 pairs for 6 or 7 dollars. Hanes brand or Gilad or something like that.

greenfire

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:18 pm
there are companies that claim to give out free samples of things ... but there is a lot of red tape and requirements like answering a million questions & such

lucky14

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:23 pm
I'd email all of the sock companies and ask them if I were you, but it doesn't seem like something they'd do. Many companies will give you coupons if you email and ask them, so I'd email the sock companies and ask for coupons.
As for diapers- I get mine at target. Target very often has deals on huggies, pampers and luvs diapers where you get a gift card back with a purchase of X number of boxes (it varies each week and I don't think there is one this week). Buy the diapers, keep the gift card- use the gift card the next time you're buying more diapers.
ex: buy two $25 boxes get a $10 gift card (end up spending $50 and getting a $10 gift card)
next time you buy diapers wait for another deal where you get back at least a $10 gift card
so you'd buy 2 $25 boxes, use your gift card, get a gift card back (end up spending $40 and getting a $10 gift card)

We use huggies and pampers and there are often coupons in the paper and online for those brands (or write to the companies and ask for some). Target brand diapers are cheaper I believe, but they don't offer the gift card deals for those very often (a few times a year they have like a spend $125 get a $20 or $25 gift card deal, but then you have to spend a lot at once which if you're really tight budgeting can be hard- though know that for those deals you total BEFORE coupons has to be $125, so if you pair those with coupons you can do pretty well).

long post, sorry Smile hope it helps you or someone else out.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:57 pm
Contact Jewish Family Services. They will know of any places that can help you out.

LisaS

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 7:29 am
Is it possible that there are people in your community who would be happy to give away used socks, except they think that others wouldn't want them? I have both received and given away socks so I know it's pretty common in Israel. I'd ask a friend to post on your community forum, "Posting for a friend: seeking used socks in good condition for ages 4 and 6...". She doesn't have to say who/what/why.

Reusing is the new recycling.

SplitPea

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 7:40 am
Another option is coupon stacking.

When I get a kohls 40% off coupon (about once a year) I stock up on things like socks and underwear.

When children's place has their $1/pair sale and you use a 20% off coupon on top of that it's really good as well.

I have learned that socks are the thing to spend a TAD more on (I.e. we don't get Circo/target socks) because the really cheap ones just don't last.

If you want to go really cheap though you can search from China on eBay or alibaba

PAMOM

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 9:01 am
CVS ( and other drug stores) often have socks and great coupons if you sign up for a free frequent shopper card. TJMaxx has good markdowns on socks. Kohls is a good suggestion.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 9:10 am
Thanks everyone!!

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 9:16 am
Speaking of socks on a very tight budget, which of the cheap companies are comfortable and stretchy?

We used to buy the GAP toddler socks for cheap on sale, but I don't know if the older kids' version is as stretchy. My son has difficulty with some of the stiffer brands we've tried.

Ilovemaryland

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 11:45 am
I second ebay
Once I got 100% english wool socks in a very upscale store in NYC for 18 dollars

A few winters ago I needed that but wasnt going to ny so I tried ebay
I got socks from china for 1$ a pair and im still wearing them

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:16 pm
Socks are difficult. I have a friend who works with the homeless, and she is always trying to find socks for people. There is a sock company that donates regularly. Otherwise, she goes to thrift and dollar stores.

If I were you, I'd try ebay and stores like Marshalls. Good luck.

mille

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:44 pm
For diapers, look online for deal websites that can help you find deals where you stack coupons with store sales to get a really great price. If you have an Aldi near you, the diapers there are really cheap also.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics