Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why why why so much pressure ????
Previous  1  2  3  4

ora_43

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 1:12 pm
Squishy wrote:
While the parents may not have been able to help, they didn't denigrate the schools. They supported education because they saw it as the means to prosperity. My mother, who also was the daughter of immigrants, and father both received awards for perfect attendance. School was a top priority. They were expected to do listen to their teachers. Parent attitude is everything.
[...]

I wish frum Jewish children in town had the rate of college education that current immigrants have now.

You're talking about a completely different issue. Pressure on kids to pursue higher education has nothing to do with what people are upset about.

Pressure on kids to be in school for long hours, pressure on elementary-school age kids to do hours of homework a night, pressure on parents to be involved in their kids' homework - all of those things are WORTHLESS. Seriously, there are studies about this. Barring unusual circumstances, these are not things that help. They have nothing to do with going to college later in life. OP isn't complaining about actual parenting, she's annoyed specifically at the unnecessary things.

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 1:24 pm
ora_43 wrote:
You're talking about a completely different issue. Pressure on kids to pursue higher education has nothing to do with what people are upset about.

Pressure on kids to be in school for long hours, pressure on elementary-school age kids to do hours of homework a night, pressure on parents to be involved in their kids' homework - all of those things are WORTHLESS. Seriously, there are studies about this. Barring unusual circumstances, these are not things that help. They have nothing to do with going to college later in life. OP isn't complaining about actual parenting, she's annoyed specifically at the unnecessary things.

I am talking about basic literacy.

Grad school would be great, but being able to write a simple declarative sentence is what I want for the children who graduate elementary school.

ITA that there are studies that say homework in the early elementary schools are useless, but starting in upper elementary school it is beneficial. These studies probably don't apply when the children are not receiving enough classroom instruction.

It would be interesting to see a study if it is so useless when children have less than half the educational classroom hours mandated by the state.

We are graduating students who cannot make themselves understood, nor can they fill out business forms properly. I have a bunch of "clients" who call me constantly to draft emails or review letters. It is because they are products of our educational system.

BTW when do you think children should get educated? There simply is not enough time allocated in the schools.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 1:35 pm
Squishy wrote:
I am talking about basic literacy.

Grad school would be great, but being able to write a simple declarative sentence is what I want for the children who graduate elementary school.

ITA that there are studies that say homework in the early elementary schools are useless, but starting in upper elementary school it is beneficial. These studies probably don't apply when the children are not receiving enough classroom instruction.

It would be interesting to see a study if it is so useless when children have less than half the educational classroom hours mandated by the state.

We are graduating students who cannot make themselves understood, nor can they fill out business forms properly. I have a bunch of "clients" who call me constantly to draft emails or review letters. It is because they are products of our educational system.

BTW when do you think children should get educated? There simply is not enough time allocated in the schools.

Im the amother whos dd has a tremendous amount of homework. There is something basically flawed about your argument. My sons, 8&9 have secular studies 2 hrs a day 4 days a week. They have 4 math problems a night and one reading comprehension worksheet or spelling review. My daughter has 3 1/2 hrs of English a day 4 days a week and she has insane homework. They all love reading and my daughter would have so much more time to read extracurricular science, history, geography if she didnt have so much stupid homework.
And to all those mothers who dont help their kids with homework, di they quiz themselves on spelling, vocabulary, chumash, etc?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 1:46 pm
And ftr, my experience is that parents who want to educate their kids wil, and parents who dont wont.
Parents who.want educated kids dont need to sit them down at the table with 30 percentage problems. They go shopping and have the kid figure out how much 33% of 49.99 is plus tax and then how much change do you get from a fifty. Or something like that.
My daughter gas so much homework forced on her that she develops an antipathy to learning new things.

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
Im the amother whos dd has a tremendous amount of homework. There is something basically flawed about your argument. My sons, 8&9 have secular studies 2 hrs a day 4 days a week. They have 4 math problems a night and one reading comprehension worksheet or spelling review. My daughter has 3 1/2 hrs of English a day 4 days a week and she has insane homework. They all love reading and my daughter would have so much more time to read extracurricular science, history, geography if she didnt have so much stupid homework.
And to all those mothers who dont help their kids with homework, di they quiz themselves on spelling, vocabulary, chumash, etc?

The ones that love to read will have an advantage obviously. You don't say your daughter's age. I agree that the HS girls are given insane amounts of HW and largely memorization. Is her 3.5 hrs homework all secular?

My daughter is up all hours of the night with homework. ITA much of it is nonsense. She ends up having to get up early in the a.m. for her secular studies.

I am assuming your sons have HW 3 only 3 nights a week. How long does it take them?

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
And ftr, my experience is that parents who want to educate their kids wil, and parents who dont wont.
Parents who.want educated kids dont need to sit them down at the table with 30 percentage problems. They go shopping and have the kid figure out how much 33% of 49.99 is plus tax and then how much change do you get from a fifty. Or something like that.
My daughter gas so much homework forced on her that she develops an antipathy to learning new things.

This is true, but when most of the adults can't do 33% of $49.99 without their calculators, how is this going to happen? No one educated them properly.

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 2:21 pm
amother wrote:

NYS mandates 18.5 instructional hours per week for your son, and he is only getting 8 per week!

BTW there is also usually a recess in those two hours.

What makes anyone think this is adequate?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 3:02 pm
Thank you ora_43 and chocolate for your posts on this thread.

homework has destroyed my kids innate love of learning . That's the sad truth. Thank you for understanding this.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 3:23 pm
Squishy wrote:
While the parents may not have been able to help, they didn't denigrate the schools. They supported education because they saw it as the means to prosperity. My mother, who also was the daughter of immigrants, and father both received awards for perfect attendance. School was a top priority. They were expected to do listen to their teachers. Parent attitude is everything.

Let's look at immigrant children now. The Hispanic parents, also with large families, in overcrowded conditions support the education of their children. 66% said education is their number one concern.

There is something called immigrant optimism which accounts for the higher achievement of immigrants versus native born. These parents are fighting for better education.

I wish frum Jewish children in town had the rate of college education that current immigrants have now.

As a child of immigrants my parents always said that the freedom to learn was one of the greatest gifts America gave them. Neither of my parents had anything past a first grade education. They had to work, and in those days it wasn't unusual for children to work. As an adult my father was self educated. My mother's education came with helping us learn. She worked the same homework I did, independent of my own efforts. We read, we were encouraged to learn proper American English and we were encouraged to write. If you didn't know a word you went to the dictionary, if you wanted knowledge about a subject you went to an encyclopedia. Discovery learning and the joy of accomplishing it were the rewards.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 6:47 pm
amother wrote:
I obviously don't know her kids and I would never call someone's kids "slow or stupid". The truth is that that complaint did hit a nerve with me. I've worked in a school for many years and this is what I realized: 80% of students can be successful (with varying degrees) regardless of the school they attend. The other 20% will struggle in any main stream school. VERY OFTEN the parents of these 20% attribute their kids struggle with the school not doing a good job. Bad teacher, bad classmates, bad principle, bad schedule, to much homework ect. Parents usually don't realize that their kid is difficult and is likely the root of the problem regardless of the school.

You must be my daughter's teacher. Very little empathy towards children. I've had so much aggravation from this year. You've shown little love toward my child, and then you wonder why she hates going to school everyday to sit in your class.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics