Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is salmon only for the wealthy?
Previous  1  2

sourstix

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 6:19 pm
No I don't buy it weekly. Too expensive. Just buy it once in a while. Here in Lakewood it comes in pkgs so u end up spending a lot. Or you have to shlep to a specific place if you wanto buy less but then they charge you more.

I wish I could buy but it's too expensive

daagahminayin

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 6:27 pm
We have it weekly but then again we only have meat on chagim and chicken on Shabbos.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 6:38 pm
I also buy from costo and I often toss with pasta and salad to stretch it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 6:49 pm
Sam's is about the same price, and I think it's a chof K.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 7:17 pm
I buy by the case from restaurant depot usually. I scale it myself and cut it to size. It is much much cheaper (between 5 and 7 a pound usually) (Sometimes I split the case)
I serve salmon all the time.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 7:41 pm
It depends how you budget your money. Maybe you splurge on salmon and skimp on clothing and furniture. Or you serve less often or smaller portions. I don't buy fresh salmon frequently but I probably spend money on other things people might consider extravagant.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 8:01 pm
My boss was venting to me the other day about it. How Bingo takes $8/lb and the fish stores take $11-13/lb.
We shop by both stores. I think fish, meat and milk are all the same expensive.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
I buy by the case from restaurant depot usually. I scale it myself and cut it to size. It is much much cheaper (between 5 and 7 a pound usually) (Sometimes I split the case)
I serve salmon all the time.

How does it work in terms of kashrut?
ETA: both year round and pesach.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:
How does it work in terms of kashrut?

They have a company with an OU. I usually buy that one. It's the same u get in the frum stores.
If that one is not there is was told I can buy the other company as long as it is a sealed closed case.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 8:50 pm
Buy at Costco and split one portion. Serve on plate with lettuce and dip. Better than spending $$ on smelly gefilte fish that no one eats.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 9:15 pm
sky wrote:
Salmon is going up - a lot of stores are still swallowing the increase in cost - but I think its going to go up even more.
I've been buying it less often, we don't eat gefilte fish so I just serve a course of salads instead.
Or I buy 1 - 2 pieces and stretch it over a salad.

(Unfortunately we don't eat Costco fish, OU allows packaging fish that is checked already skinned, many hold salmon isn't an issue because of its color, but we don't rely on that (I think I explained it correctly), so I'm out of luck in that area).

It's not just ou that holds this. It is a widespread idea throughout many very Frum hashgachot. You just need to do shifshuf if it didn't come with hashgacha.

Amarante

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 11:02 pm
Here's a way to stretch salmon that isn't the typical loaf

Salmon Crumble

Excerpt From: Phillips, Denise. “The Gourmet Jewish Cookbook

This is a delicious unusual way of making a little piece of salmon go a long way. Topped with herb breadcrumbs drizzled with olive oil, salmon crumble makes a wonderful alternative to the popular sweet crumble varieties. It is a great family recipe that can be doubled in quantity.

Scottish salmon is internationally recognised and the number one choice for high quality fish. Salmon is popular amongst Jews all over the world, particularly for Shabbat.

One reason for this popularity is that fish do not have any eyelids and thus never close their eyes. Our sages felt that they were a metaphor for God, whose eyes and gaze are always on us. In addition, there is a tradition that each letter in the Hebrew alphabet has a numerical value. The letters of the Hebrew word for fish, dag, add up to seven. The seventh day of the Jewish week is Shabbat. Therefore, eating fish is an auspicious and spiritual way of honouring Shabbat.

Serve with a green salad or a selection of seasonal green vegetables.

Chef’s Tip: Use the seasoning of salt sparingly as the anchovy essence/fillets are already salty.

Info

• Preparation Time: 20 minutes
• Cooking Time: 45 minutes
• Serves: 6 as a starter or 4 for a main course
• For starter portions, place in small ramekins and reduce cooking time to 20 minutes

Ingredients

• 450g/1 lb salmon, skinned and cut into cubes
• 330ml/11 fl oz/1½ cups milk

• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped

• 30g/1 oz unsalted butter
• 30g/1 oz plain flour

• 1 tbsp tomato purée
• freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 2 tbsp anchovy essence or 1 small can anchovy fillets, drained and roughly chopped
• 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh parsley

For the topping

• 2 thick slices of wholemeal bread
• 2 tbsp parsley
• 1–2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Method

• Pre-heat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas mark 5.

Cook the salmon in the milk for about 15 minutes. Drain, retaining the milk to make the white sauce later.

• Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan. Sauté the onion until soft. Remove and set aside.

• Add the butter to the pan, melt and stir in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes, then gradually add the retained milk, stirring well.

• Return the onion to the pan of white sauce and “Cook the salmon in the milk for about 15 minutes. Drain, retaining the milk to make the white sauce later.

• Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan. Sauté the onion until soft. Remove and set aside.

• Add the butter to the pan, melt and stir in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes, then gradually add the retained milk, stirring well.

• Return the onion to the pan of white sauce and stir in the tomato purée, pepper and anchovy essence or fillets and parsley.

• Stir the salmon and fold into the milk mixture.
• Transfer to an ovenproof dish.

• Place the bread and parsley in a food processor and whiz to form herb breadcrumbs.

• Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top. Drizzle over the extra virgin olive oil.

• Bake for 35 minutes or until brown and crunchy. Serve immediately.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 10:32 am
For my Shabbos meals, I serve exactly 1 tablespoon of salmon per person, along with salads on the side.

Insomniac

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 12:17 pm
We haven't had salmon in a very very long time. We are big fish eaters in our house but we have tilapia which is much cheaper here, and other white fish that I spice up. I know that the nutrition value isn't the same...but for us salmon is just not a possibility.

My dad is a big shopper and loves to shop but when he came to visit us and came to the supermarket with me, I saw him hold it (frozen fillet) look at the price and put it back. This is a man who knows his food and knows his fish and will pay for something good. It was just too much for him!

At the same time though, everyone has their own cheshbonos. If I had salmon, every one of my kids would want a whole piece - if not more. But we do have some sort of chicken and ground meat every week.

It's all in what is important to YOU.

pizzapie

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 5:09 pm
Another vote here for Costco salmon cut in half for shabbos only. Where I live it costs approximately the same amount as gefilte fish!

mha3484

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 6:09 pm
Tilapia is not so healthy. http://www.rd.com/health/healt.....-you/

Founder is a mild white fish that is more nutritious.http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/protein-3ounce-grilled-flounder-2292.html

Last edited by mha3484 on Sun, Mar 05 2017, 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
White

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 6:10 pm
buy whole fish, it's much cheaper.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
buy whole fish, it's much cheaper.

The $40-$44 in Israel I wrote above was for a whole side of fish that I had to skin and cut myself. Confused
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics