Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do you wear what colors you like or what looks good

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 10:36 am
For years I was drawn to jewel tones and autumn colors (burgundy, dark teal, eggplant, army green, rust). But I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that I am super pale and really look best in light pink, light blue, pale teal...it's really annoying. First of all, I really like the other colors. Second of all, do I have to wear flattering colors? Do people look at me and think I am wearing clothing that clashes my skin tone? Probably not. Thats ego, thats ego thats ego. Ok. No one cares. Shoot. I care. I want to look my best always. Bah!

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 10:50 am
The colors I like (blue, obviously, and some other colors) ARE what look good on me!
I don't like yellow, orange or brown. And they don't look good on me.

I love green, purple, blue and sometimes black/white/pink. They look good on me.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:01 pm
I definitely wear what looks good on me. Getting dressed about the full picture, not about liking one particular detail.

tichellady

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 1:33 pm
Usually what looks good on me. I wear a lot of blue and purple. I like yellow and pink but don't look good in them so will wear things that are pink and black or yellow and black where the other color is not too dominant but the outfit isn't just black. Except for my wedding, I really don't wear white

groovy1224

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 1:36 pm
Usually what looks good. I love bright, funky colors, but I don't usually end up buying clothes in such colors because I'm afraid I'll get sick of it and it'll be money down the drain.

So I tend to keep my clothes on the safe, neutral side and play up my love for colors with my accessories. I love statement necklaces, I have a few punchy- colored purses, nail polish, etc.

Helps me keep my wardrobe flattering, versatile, but still unique!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 1:50 pm
I end up wearing what looks good. I don't like things that don't look good on me, even if they initially looked good on the hanger.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
For years I was drawn to jewel tones and autumn colors (burgundy, dark teal, eggplant, army green, rust). But I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that I am super pale and really look best in light pink, light blue, pale teal...it's really annoying. First of all, I really like the other colors. Second of all, do I have to wear flattering colors? Do people look at me and think I am wearing clothing that clashes my skin tone? Probably not. Thats ego, thats ego thats ego. Ok. No one cares. Shoot. I care. I want to look my best always. Bah!

The colors you like are the colors that look good on me!!! I don't look very good in pale pinks, pale blues, etc. and so I stick to olive green, red, burgandy, rust, etc. I'm also pale, but not pink.. my undertone is yellow or olive-ish and I have black hair so... I always notice if people are wearing clashing colors and I would not wear pale pink at all...

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 2:17 pm
amother wrote:

Wear those colors, but not near your face. You absolutely can wear an eggplant skirt with a shirt in a more flattering color. Or add a scarf to place more flattering colors near your face.

Me, I wear mostly black.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 2:22 pm
I have light brown ashy hair, very light teal eyes, palest skin possible, lots of freckles. My undertones are somewhere between neutral and cool, for sure not warm. I look terrible in black, yellow, orange, cobalt, beige. I am unsure about navy, brown. My best colors are pale pink, light blue, and light grey. I hardly own a thing in those colors. I love burgundy...I think that looks good, but maybe I just really like the color. Does anyone have similar coloring to me that can help me out?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 3:17 pm
OP, I'm a professional photographer and have studied color combining extensively.

It's all art, and very little science!

If you feel pretty in certain colors, you'll feel great. What makes you feel like you don't look good in jewel tones? Perhaps you'll want a little more makeup when wearing deeply saturated colors, so your skin tone is more colored than usual.

Everyone can wear every color, IMHO!

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 4:00 pm
This isn't really my forte but maybe you can wear the colors you love, just not for the whole outfit? Like a pastel shirt with a jewel-tone skirt and necklace? Or scarf, or something?

yogabird

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 4:06 pm
I choose the ones I like from the ones that look good on me, but sometimes I'll wear a color that I love and looks okay, as long as it's not awful looking.

I'm no expert in this, but I think the right type of makeup can go a long way towards making a color look good on you. Also, certain colors look good on everyone. Also, if you love a color that's doesn't look that great, try it just not right next to your face...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 4:43 pm
I am a redhead so I can say what looks good not the colors.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 6:30 pm
I've spent several decades trying to figure out the chicken and egg question: do I like certain colors because they flatter me and dislike others because they do not, or do I believe they flatter me because I like them? It's the same with flavors and colors: the candy/soda flavors I dislike are colored the colors I dislike; coincidence, or cause and effect? Who knows? Who cares? I happen to go for the colors that look best on me and dislike the ones that look worst. Maybe G/d gave me good color sense to make up for some other shortcoming.

But if you love a color that doesn't flatter you, you can still wear it as an accent color: a belt, scarf, or pin, or even a skirt with a top in another more flattering hue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics