Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Sewing Machines

gryp

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 4:36 pm
can any experts recommend a good sewing machine for beginners? ive been wanting to buy one but I dont even know what to look for. all I know about sewing is that it involves a needle and thread. ive seen ones that are computerized, come with how-to-videos, etc. but im looking for a good sturdy one for a real beginner. I need to learn how to do slits, hems, buttons, etc, and perhaps one day if I like it, ill make my own clothing. I dont want one of those massive heavy duty ones.

roza

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 4:49 pm
singer is the brand to go with:
http://www.singerco.com/products/index.html

also check sears.
and walmart
it's not hard to choose- it has all the description

Last edited by roza on Mon, May 16 2005, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 4:51 pm
thanx Roza, I really appreciate it.
im going to check out what you recommended.

gryp

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 5:13 pm
I clicked on the link and I have no idea where to go from there. how do I know if I want compact or basic featured or anything else? it seems to me that I would want a machine thats compact and basic featured...

what features should I be looking for? I see things like drop-in bobbin, automatic threader, and others... what do you recommend? what is wonderful to have and a pain if you dont?

roza

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 5:45 pm

• 30 stitch functions • 7 built-in stitches • 4-step buttonholer • Front-load bobbin • Free-arm • 3 needle positioins • Built-in storage

this one is pretty basic

it was second on this page:
http://www.singerco.com/products/index.html

roza

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 5:52 pm
this one is also good:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog.....90818

I think just buy something under 100$ and play around with it.
but u will need someone to teach u to use it .

Tefila

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 6:05 pm
Rg go for basic basic model first learn how to use it. Alot of places that sell the machines exclusivley will give you a one lesson free. Hatzlacha Very Happy

gryp

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 6:10 pm
thanx, Roza, youre really helping me out. please let me know when your patience runs out....

the basic one that you showed looks like something I should get because it looks so basic. do you think it wouldnt be good to get one of the compact ones though? and what about the ones that are computerized? I would hate to have to buy another more updated one once I am comfortable using the basic one and ready to advance...

and whats the built in storage for? what is stored in the storage? and why is it good to be built in?

what features make life easier for the experts? is it a big deal to have a front load bobbin and not a drop in one? or a four step buttonholer and not a one step? whats the point of having so many stitch functions? is it better to have more?

I hope youre not sorry that you started to answer my questions... let me know when youve had your share of them...

gryp

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 6:19 pm
I think I like the way the one from walmart looks. it has a carrying case and it sounds good to me if its possible to carry it. that means its not huge and not heavy.

it also comes with supplies to clean it which is what I was also wondering about.

maybe I should just stick with the basic one as long as it does its job and does it well....

I guess I should look around for good sewing instruction books now like "Sewing for Dummies" or something...

roza

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 6:31 pm
-the storage is to keep, pins, needles and threads, pieces of material, an d all the stuff that comes with the machine ect.

-compact is good if u will carry it arround a lot, or u don't have much space. regular ones are not so big, does not make a big difference.

-I am not a pro, I know how to use the basic one . but never used the computarize one. it looks cool, though...

-u will need different stitches depends on what u are doing.

go to the store and see for yourself- u will understand all these functions- it's easy.
my mother in law and my grandmothers have those basic ones, if I need one - I borrow from my mother in law.

hey, u gave me an idea to give my kids a lesson on how to use it
Wink it's fun!

keep in mind u will need to practice on pieces of material for some time to get a feel of the proccess. (before u will use it to fix or make your clothes)

gryp

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 6:37 pm
thanx so much!
ill start out with the basic one. if I ever advance, perhaps ill buy a newer model and give the basic one away to a beginner like I once was Very Happy that way ill be spreading the favor that you did to me by answering all my questions...

I will definitely teach my kids how to sew! I dont want them sounding like a dummy like I just did in this thread...

Yael

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 1:21 pm
all you need in a sewing machine is that it should sew a basic stitch. you really dont need anything more than that. all the newest facy types are just to get people to spend more money or if you sew for a living maybe it would be useful then. I sew a moderate amount, nothing facy but I do alll the fixing of hems and butttons and alterations. and also make some stuff like a waterproof apron, and stroller bag, a set of matching blanket covers and pillowcases for cribs. and costumes. mostly stuff that I cant find anywhere or if I can find is more expensive than I'm willing to pay.
and for the things I make I have the basic singer sewing machine. and the only feature I ever need besides the basic stitch is the zigzag stitch. which happens to come on a basic model too! maybe if I was sewing some facy dresses I would like some decorative stitching, but as for now I really dont need it.

micki

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 4:33 pm
get the one with a one step button hole maker- not the 4

also see if it comes with a blind hem stich. try to get one with.'

gryp

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 4:37 pm
thanx everyone.

Quote:
try to get one with.'

micki- whats that?

and do you have patience to explain the one step buttonholer vs. the four step?

micki

Post Thu, May 19 2005, 6:59 am
rg- its a typo

as to 4 vs 1- the 4 step requires you to do 4 seperate stiches which can get tricky to make sure they are set up correctly and end up even. the 1 step you just push the pedal, and it does all the work for you. but if you are not planniing to make many garments that need buttons then it doesn't ake that much difference.

gryp

Post Thu, May 19 2005, 12:46 pm
Quote:
rg- its a typo

embarrassed embarrassed
and here I am wondering what on earth that could be. I thought it was a certain setting or dial on the machine embarrassed

thanx for all the info.

eliana

Post Fri, May 27 2005, 4:42 am
I would suggest you to pay attention also to two other things that are important for the beginner

1) how long the machine can be exploited uninterruptedly - some models are only for 1 hour and then it should be allowed to 'rest' for a while. For a beginner it is not convenient because the beginner wants to do all in no hurry

2) is the speed regulated or not. Some 'simple' models have only one (!) working speed which is much too fast for a beginner. You just touch the pedal and .... oops! ... the stitch is finished, but not in the way you wanted it.
Look for a model where the speed depends on how strong you press on the pedal.

gryp

Post Fri, May 27 2005, 5:49 am
thanx, im so glad you brought that up!

chavamom

Post Fri, May 27 2005, 10:04 am
I don't know if you have bought a machine yet, but Consumer Reports says that the machines from Sears (Kenmore? I think) are the best quality for your money. Some of the lower end machines, Singer included, are not made very well and don't sew so well and can be very frustrating.

I had a Singer and replaced it last year with a Babylock which I love, love, love. The difference is amazing. But it is a much higher end machine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars