Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Freezing chopped liver?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 12:07 pm
I'm pregnant and due in a few more weeks. I'm filling my freezer with food now. I tend to be anemic and weak after giving birth, so I want to have iron-rich foods available. If I make chopped liver without the eggs (saute the liver with onions, and mash it), can I freeze that? Or will it turn out gross?

cnc

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 12:09 pm
It turns watery and the taste and texture are off. I've done it and wouldn't recommend it.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 12:11 pm
Ok, thanks. Guess I'll do meatballs instead. I just really really like chopped liver, and it's a fleishig food that can be eaten cold with one hand, so it's great for eating while holding the baby.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 12:24 pm
They sell frozen containers at the grocery store that taste delicious. So I think if you make it very creamy it should freeze nicely.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
I'm pregnant and due in a few more weeks. I'm filling my freezer with food now. I tend to be anemic and weak after giving birth, so I want to have iron-rich foods available. If I make chopped liver without the eggs (saute the liver with onions, and mash it), can I freeze that? Or will it turn out gross?

I often make a lot at a time and freeze in small containers. Never had any problems with that.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 12:42 pm
I've been freezing homemade with eggs and it actually needs a little more mayo when I defrost it. If you're worried about the eggs making it soupy, you could add eggs after it defrosts.
I had a lot of egg salad leftover after a simcha so decided to see what happens if I freeze it. It's too soupy to use when it defrosts.

Zeleze

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 1:40 pm
Sandy and watery
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen