Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Road trip, how much do you think it will cost?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 7:35 am
    Starting from NY
    Driving around 2500 miles
    Renting a car
    Sleeping in a motel/hotel (not roach motel) for around 3 nights
    Food only for around 4 days

That's all I can think of for now.

simcha2

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 7:56 am
What about activities along the way?

gp2.0

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 8:22 am
It's hard to guesstimate these things without more exact numbers but I'd imagine it would range from $1,000-$3000.

gp2.0

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 8:26 am
Also, 2500 miles in 4 days is a grueling pace. I'd plan estimates for 5-6 days in case you end up being unable to drive for such long uninterrupted periods.

cbg

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 8:37 am
http://www.travelmath.com/cost-of-driving/
Can calculate how much gas will cost

benny

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 8:46 am
How many ppl? Can you get standard hotel room? Food also depends on amount of ppl

singleagain

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:49 am
I don't know abt car rentals. But a hotel/motel can be upwards of 40$ per night. (Not counting extra beds and other extras) some chains have star x nights get the next one free, but then you must stay in their chain. If you are going into another state, stop by the state's welcome center and pick up a book of coupons for discounts on hotels and activities.

An official rest stop gas station will always be more expensive than going a mile off the highway or into town. Same with food/snacks.

Car rental is also typically Abt the same as hotel per day and you have to bring it back with same amount of gas you got it and be extra careful you don't damage it otherwise you'll have to pay extra... So consider extra insurance .... Also car rental costs extra to take out of state.

If your going a place that doesn't have Kosher food. You'll want to either live off non-perishable national brands or bring a cooler with food (in which case depends on luggage situation you may need a larger car which is more)

I speak from experience as someone who's driven from NY to the far side of MO and home at least once a year for the last three. My saving grace... An aunt in the middle of the drive and I did it alone so I was able to knock out the drive quickly to get more time with my best friend.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:33 am
amother wrote:
    Starting from NY
    Renting a car

Are you sleeping in a motel 6 or the Hilton? Are you renting a Ferrari or a Buick? I'm not sure why you need feedback here. Did you call the hotel yet to make a reservation? Did you look online to estimate the car rental? Should be pretty easy to figure this out. Enjoy the trip!

sky

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:42 am
What about activities. Do you have a general destination, are you looking to do things along the way?

- Gas - figure out cost in each state and how many highway miles your car gets
- Hotels - price hotels in he major cities along the way - how many beds, rooms, etc.
- Can you get kosher food along the way? Do you have to bring? If bringing it shouldn't be that much more then you spend on food daily. Maybe more snacks - but I wouldn't think that much more.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
    Starting from NY
    Renting a car

Without food? Minimum $1,100.

gibberish

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:50 am
Bear in mind that if you are not returning home, one way car rentals are a fortune and probably not worthwhile.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 2:22 pm
simcha2 wrote:
What about activities along the way?

Without trips. I can figure that in myself.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 2:23 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
It's hard to guesstimate these things without more exact numbers but I'd imagine it would range from $1,000-$3000.

That's what I guesstimated, $3,000. I was wondering if I was way off, either way.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 2:24 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Also, 2500 miles in 4 days is a grueling pace. I'd plan estimates for 5-6 days in case you end up being unable to drive for such long uninterrupted periods.

I forgot to write that it's over 10 days, so the car will be for that amount also. We will be staying by family some days.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 2:24 pm
benny wrote:
How many ppl? Can you get standard hotel room? Food also depends on amount of ppl

2 people most of the way and we don't eat much, two adults.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 2:26 pm
I think I clarified more information. Thank you all!!

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
I think I clarified more information. Thank you all!!

You also need to know the estimated gas mileage of the vehicle you are renting. Even with that your fuel costs may vary a great deal depending on terrain.

Hotel and motel cost cannot be calculated until you figure out what your route is and what your lodging options are.

If you are an Auto Club member they may be able to assist you. But first you need a budget. How much do you have to spend overall and then you calculate the allocations of that budget.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics