Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Brooklyn- second car or uber

amother
Azure

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 10:57 pm
Due to a change in my childrens bus schedule I will soon no longer be able to take the city bus to amd from work. I am leaning towards uber there and back as opposed to buying a second car. It will cost me around 30 bucks a day for uber and there is no parking where I live so having to park a car will be a huge stress when im rushing to make my kids bus. On the other hand dh works sunday and it would be nice to have a car to go places with the kids sometimes. Anyone have any opinions.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 11:00 pm
Can you rent a driveway or parking spot for cheAp?
Can you use a car service( which is sometimes cheaper than Uber)
Make a cheshbon what would be cheaper- car rental for you plus insurance or Uber...

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 11:18 pm
If you don't have a driveway, the second car is not worthwhile.

imeinu

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 12:33 am
you can uber on sunday with the kids too, no?
or can your husband leave you the car and take uber himself?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 9:22 am
I live on Long Island and we only have one car. I'm a WAHM and the car stays with me since I need it throughout the day and there isn't any other way to get around in the suburbs.

DH often takes a cab to and from the train station if he can't get a ride. I let him take the car on days when I know I absolutely won't need it. We've run the numbers and the cost of a second car (the car itself, insurance, gas, repairs) would be more than the cost of the cab fare. So even though it would be convenient to have two cars like many of the families around here, we just can't justify the cost for ourselves at this point. If DH had to drive to work then we would probably get another car but just to have a car sit at the train station all day doesn't pay for us.

I would say that the spouse that has to run around more should have the car, especially if that includes schlepping the kids around as well. Even more so if you have young children in car seats or booster seats. Does your husband have to drive to work on Sundays or can he take public transportation or Uber and leave you the car?

And I can't even imagine trying to park two cars in Brooklyn!

zigi

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 9:28 am
can you get a zip car for sundays?

cholenteater

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 10:13 am
Would you have an increase in payment for car insurance? That alone can equal the same amount As Uber

mha3484

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 10:38 am
I am not in NY but we had the same choice. We have one car and the other (mostly me) uses uber as needed. It works for us because I can walk to work. Two cars are not affordable for us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics