Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Difference between Young Israel and Chofetz Chaim

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 11:15 am
Trying to understand the philosophy and differences if any between a school that says it's Young Israel verse one that is Chofetz Chaim. Would one have more of an emphasis on secular studies and encourage college or would neither promote it. Also both Young Israel and Chofetz Chaim are considered Yeshivish/Litvish correct? Sorry I'm so confused by this and trying to understand in regards to my kids school choices. Thanks

miami85

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 11:42 am
Not sure I know the difference 100%, but this is my take. They tend to have different leanings hashkafically, more YIs that I know of are Modern-Orthodox and zionistic, whereas Chofetz Chaim tends to be more main-stream halacha but more "community" oriented--they set up shop in places that need an infusion of Orthodoxy and kind of "bend the community" in a torah-direction, no special emphasis on Eretz Yisroel, but are not "anti-"prayers for the government/state of Israel as long as the overall attitude is one of "halacha" and "torah hashkafa". There is a "tendency" for them if they are going to adopt a shul for them to adopt a Young Israel b/c as far as I know that since YI has to abide by certain basic minimum with regard to halacha/mechitza etc. and therefore they can't be swayed by a board that wants a "conservdox" approach. Chofetz Chaim does place an "emphasis" on responsible earnings/livelihood and if that means getting an education so-be-it, but they don't outright encourage college/secular studies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics