Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Open invitation to a wedding, for everyone?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 2:01 pm
Is it customary to make an open invitation for all to a wedding in some circles or families? This is how it was presented on the person's site

Quote:
EVENT INFO

Chupah

Date
Month Date, 2007

Time
X:00 P.M

For Directions to and from the Venue, please refer to the following Website by clicking
here or upon request by contacting us via the link from the menu.
Affordable flights are available via Jet2.com, from Manchester, London or Leeds/Bradford
Should you require a Hotel room, please contact us as we have arranged a special price
with one of the local Hotels close to the Venue.
Kosher Facilities (I.e. Shops, Backeries, Restaurants, etc...) are also local to the Venue.

Kabbalos Punim

Time
X:00 P.M

Directions
Please follow the same instructions as for the directions to the Chupah (as the
venue is the same).

Details
Please note that this is an Ultra-Orthodox Jewish Wedding! Should you not be familiar with the
traditions and customs, please contact us for guidance.

I would be afraid weird people would show up...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 2:24 pm
could be, but it's not for the meal, just the chuppah and kabbolas ponim, so I wouldn't worry.

chen

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 1:17 pm
was this on a personal website? presumably s/he gives the address only to family & friends--who should not under any circumstances be sharing the address or any other info with anyone else without permission of the site owner!

The invite appears to be only for the chuppah, and face it, people who don't know them very well are not going to hop on a plane to attend just a chuppah. the expense for a few extra people at the chuppah is minimal when compared to the expense of extra people at the meal.

I think people who post personal information on the Net--even on a "secure" personal website--should have their heads examined. You don't want to know what I think of posting on OnlySimchas.com.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 1:18 pm
hey maybe I should go ...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 1:22 pm
chen wrote:
was this on a personal website? presumably s/he gives the address only to family & friends--who should not under any circumstances be sharing the address or any other info with anyone else without permission of the site owner!

The invite appears to be only for the chuppah, and face it, people who don't know them very well are not going to hop on a plane to attend just a chuppah. the expense for a few extra people at the chuppah is minimal when compared to the expense of extra people at the meal.

I think people who post personal information on the Net--even on a "secure" personal website--should have their heads examined. You don't want to know what I think of posting on OnlySimchas.com.

It was on the chosson's site. He posted it. It is accessible for everyone. I was tempted to show up given that it was like 30 mins drive from my town LOL

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 1:34 pm
chen what's wrong with only simchas?? I think it's a great site that's the only way I get to know about simchas abroad ie engagements etc...

chen

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 3:06 pm
miriamnechama wrote:
chen what's wrong with only simchas?? I think it's a great site that's the only way I get to know about simchas abroad ie engagements etc...

as I said, anyone who posts personal info on the web--wherever on the web it may be--should have his head examined. also, sometimes people post their friends' simcha announcements and even pictures without getting permission first, which is despicable.

Not that I don't check out the site. I found out that all three children of my college friend whom I haven't seen since her wedding 25 years ago got married and made aliyah; my next-door neighbor got engaged to a guy from Oklahoma; my other neighbor had a baby (the friend who posted the announcement spelled the baby's name wrong, so someone who saw the announcement bought her a personalized gift with the wrong spelling) and lots and lots of other interesting stuff.

But I still think it's foolish to make announcements like that on the web, particularly when identity theft as well as regular theft is such a problem. where there are weddings there are wedding gifts, where there are new babies there are tired and distracted parents...Thieves scan the birth-wedding-death announcements to figure out who is likely to have valuables, or to be away from home. That's why newspapers no longer announce, as they did a few generations ago, that Mr. and Mrs. Gotlotsabucks are sailing next week on the Queen Mary bound for Halifax. Why give the thieves information on a silver platter?

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 3:58 pm
chen your right, I never thought of that... though how can theives get these information on only simchas I don't know. I did hear that if it was done with outpermission, on 2 occasions those posts were deleted.

lemaasa it's not only that, I read once in the hamodia tha twhen you put up invitations in shuls especially in israel it's an open invitation for thieves so one familly got smart, when they made a simcha they got a group of bachurim to learn in the house, the left them cakes and drinks, and that way they were gaurding the house of the baal simcha.

I remember a bar mitzva in london many years back where the bar mitzva boy lost all his gifts in one night cuz a shvarte passed saw gifts and took them all. now go ask what a shvatze needs sefarim for...!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics