Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
If you are a nurse, do you hate your job?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 11:06 am
I am looking into nursing school now. Until now I worked in an office doing filing and data entry mostly. I want a job where I can make more money and have more options/ opportunity for growth. I enjoy working with people. I found an accelerated program that I could finish and have a BSN in two years. I would need to quit my job and live tight for 2 years. My husbands salary of 65000 will just about cover it (2 kids age 2 and 5) and we will have to spend 20000 from our savings. I will also be taking out 25000 in government student loans. My question now is is this a worthwhile job? I hear the burnout rate is really high and I'm sure that's not for no reason. I don't want to put myself through all this hard work only to hate the job. On the other hand the alternative is to work in an office with no major growth. So please imamothers who are nurses, don't sugar coat it for me, do you like your jobs? If yes why? If no why not? What field do you feel would provide better opportunities?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 11:10 am
Accelerated programs are very expensive. The field is very tough and not easy with kids or pregnancy. If I could redo it I would have become a dental hygienist. Low cost for schooling and pay is a little less but not much.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 11:19 am
I'm a nurse, keep in mind I only became a nurse 1 year ago and have not worked in the hospital setting yet. I have only worked school nursig and some home care. I think hospital nursing jobs have a high burn out rate because the environment is hard. I will be starting out in a hospital job and but probably will only work in hospital setting for a few years. I think the great thing about nursing is the flexibility. You can do sooo much with nursing from home care, hospital, school nursing, working for insurance companies, per diem jobs, dialysis, infusions , fertility etc. I honestly am dreading the 12 hour shifts and working every sundays in a hospital setting but I know it will be temporary. So in a sense I sometimes wish I went for OT or speech therapy because they have better hours and pay but I think nursing interests me more and tht I would get bored of OT or ST. And there is a lotof opportunities for growth In nursing (becoming a manager or nurse practioner) as well as chances to expand your field. Also I did accelerated nursing program in a year and I did it at a state of New York school so Tuition was cheap. U have to ask yourself why u want to be a nurse because it is a lot to handle but remember there r so many opportunities in the field.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 11:29 am
This accelerated program costs 25000. It is reputable where I live. The dental hygiene program I looked into has an extremely long waiting list. Also there doesn't seem to be opportunity for growth in dental hygiene? My end goal is to become a nurse practitioner. I also do not want to work 9-5. I like the idea of working three days a week. I am hoping to work night shifts (I'm a night person) so I can be home, even if I am sleeping, when the kids are home. I am drawn to this job for the nurturing helping part of it. I am concerned that I am being too idealistic and in reality it may just be a grueling annoying job. I envision myself being there for sick kids to make them feel special and safe and well cared for. Am I being naive?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 11:32 am
Your wants for being a nurse seem like you would make a great nurse! From what u explained u seem
Like you would love nursing! Obviously not everything will be perfect as with any job. If u want job growth nursig is the better option for u. Have u considered physician assistant? I personally think nurse practioner is a better option since it allows more autonomy, however physician assistant school may be faster than becoming an RN and then NP

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 11:34 am
If y have facebook check out orthodox Jewish nurses association, u can
Post your question there also a lot of good opinions there. From what I hear a lot of Jewish women love working night shifts because they can send their kids to school and be there when they come home while still having days off to go to school functions or Siddur plays

honeygold

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 3:09 pm
I am a nurse in a hospital and I work 12 hr night shifts 3 days a week. Nursing school is hard but with the right support it is doable. My job is ok and like someone said there is lots of job options and room for growth. I plan I going for my NP soon so that I can increase my earning potential. Working nights is good for family life because you can sleep while the kids are in school and be there when they come home.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 3:51 pm
I worked in a nursing home and had the most horrific experience. We were so overworked and stressed. That being said, I'm happy I'm in a field where there are so many different opportunities available to me. I'm now looking into a more administrative nursing job, like working for an insurance company. BH in America the pay for nurses is pretty great. Despite my negative experience im happy I went into it.

eschaya

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 6:23 pm
I was happy being a nurse, and I'm now ecceedingly happy being a nurse practitioner (acute care). I've always worked in the hospital, 12 hour shifts. Now I do all nights, I've done days in the past. If you have the aptitude for it, it is a great job; tons of flexibility, so many different fields, decent pay, great transferability, room for advancement, lots of jobs available, and you get to help people on a daily basis.
Feel free to pm me if you want. Deciding to go to nursing school (as a second careee) was one of the best moves I've made.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 7:59 pm
One size does not fit all in nursing - if one thing doesn't suit, chances are something else will. I followed my heart into obstetrics, and was happy doing it for years until working nights started to become problematic for my family. Now I work in public health - no nights, no weekends and no bedside work, and only one patient at a time! Love it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics