Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Boy survives six hours at night lost in Dead Sea

justanothermother

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 11:28 pm
JERUSALEM (AP) -- An 8-year-old Israeli boy spent six hours floating in the Dead Sea alone at night after his father left him there by accident during a family trip, police said Sunday.

Rescuers help 8-year-old boy Shneur Zalman Friedman who was lost for six hours in the Dead Sea.

They said they would not press charges against the errant parent.

The Dead Sea, the lowest point on earth and one of Israel's most popular tourist attractions, has an abnormally high salt concentration that allows swimmers to float on the surface.

Rescue workers said the boy, Shneur Zalman Friedman, from Jerusalem, was in the sea with his father and two brothers on Thursday evening when currents swept him away from shore, without anyone else noticing.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the family was part of a large group visiting a beach reserved for ultra-Orthodox Jewish men -- who do not bathe in the presence of women -- away from main public areas.

His father left the water with other members of the group and only noticed the boy was missing as darkness fell, Rosenfeld said.

A major search by police helicopters and volunteers in motorboats finally found Shneur about 2 miles from the shore early Friday after six hours in the strong-smelling, corrosive water, Yehuda Meshi-Zahav of the Zaka rescue organization said.

The boy was dehydrated and frightened but otherwise healthy, he said. Shneur told his rescuers he remained calm throughout the ordeal, saying prayers and thinking about his school friends as he floated in the darkness.

"The boy said that he didn't try to swim, he just drifted with the current," Rosenfeld said.

The mineral-laden waters of the Dead Sea helped keep the boy afloat but could have choked him had he panicked and swallowed large quantities, said Omer Cohen of the Megilot volunteer rescue unit.

After hours of fruitless searching, workers had all but given up hope of finding the boy alive.

"We thought we were looking for a body," Cohen said. "We were surprised to find the boy alive and well." E-mail to a friend

chavamom

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 11:29 pm
I saw this and just about flipped b/c that is the name of one of my friend's sons who lives in Y-M. But I realized it was the wrong age. But what a story and B'H with a good ending!

technic

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:15 am
according 2 arutz 7 the authorities were notified immed, NOT after darkness fell...

Last edited by technic on Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

happyone

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:16 am
Miracles DO happen!

ruthanne

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 11:46 am
happyone wrote:
Miracles DO happen!

I was thinking the same thing! This is real proof that the Aibishter runs the world and we really can't understand His ways...especially in light of all the recent road accident tragedies.
There was also a (non Jewish) man who fell 6 stories off a balcony and he miraculously walked away with just a few bruises and scratches.

Annie

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:00 pm
I just thought it was amazing that an 8 yr old had the presence of mind not to try and swim, and to be saying tehilim while waiting to be rescued.

cindy324

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:43 pm
I think they should def. charge the father. What kind of idiot loses count of 3, that's three kids??? He didn't notice until night fell??? Aren't people extra vigilant when they're kids are just in the swimming pool , never mind in the Dead Sea???That is negligence at its worst, and that's me giving the guy the benefit of doubt. The other possibility is just too horrible to even think about. Exploding anger

mimivan

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:49 pm
chavamom wrote:
I saw this and just about flipped b/c that is the name of one of my friend's sons who lives in Y-M. But I realized it was the wrong age. But what a story and B'H with a good ending!

In case anyone is wondering, it wasn't my Schneur Zalman who is only 4...

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:49 pm
cindy and what will they gain ... trauma for the boy and a set of foster parents that really could be not much different ... mistakes happen ... life happens ... while it is bizarre ... and I do not condone ... it's just more trauma ... parenting classes would be more beneficial to all or a fine ...

glad the boy is safe !!!

shalhevet

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 1:09 pm
cindy324 wrote:
I think they should def. charge the father. What kind of idiot loses count of 3, that's three kids??? He didn't notice until night fell??? Aren't people extra vigilant when they're kids are just in the swimming pool , never mind in the Dead Sea???That is negligence at its worst, and that's me giving the guy the benefit of doubt. The other possibility is just too horrible to even think about. Exploding anger

I read a feature about it yesterday in the Hebrew Yated Neeman. The father waded out a little further with his older son, while the 8 year old was behind him. Suddenly he looked around and the 8 year old had disappeared. The whole thing happened around 8pm which is slightly after dark in Israel at the moment. That particular beach is open from 4pm for separate swimming. So he noticed immediately = nightfall. It wasn't hours later. And immediately summoned help.

I read the boy's account. He said Shema and Tehillim and davenned that he should get back safely. He also had the presence of mind to float on his back (remember it's the Dead Sea) and wait for help.

A really amazing story! Baruch Hashem!

southernbubby

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 10:48 pm
I heard that an anti-semetic remark was made about the father on a secular website.

mimivan

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 11:51 pm
The real miracle was that they didn't take the boy away and put him with some chiloni family to brainwash him out of Yiddishkeit...

The government just loves Charedim in Israel....

(as if there aren't major mistakes that happen with secular families...the Israeli papers really had a field day with this story)

faigie

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 9:45 am
the boy is a credit to his name.
to lay there and have the betachon,and the presence of mind to daven, is EXTRODINARY! I am totally awed by this small child. I wish we could follow his story and see what he produces as he grows older.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics