Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What perfume do you wear?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Do you wear perfume?
Daily  
 29%  [ 39 ]
special occasions  
 47%  [ 62 ]
never  
 22%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 131

crust

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 4:33 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Who cares about onions and garlic. Just don't eat beans.

The women sitting to the right and to the left. Hoepfully its not strong enough that the entire womens section suffers from it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 5:17 pm
I am also one of those who are sensitive to perfume.

It is a huge chesed to refrain from wearing perfume to shul as someone who has allergies/is sensitive may NOT be able to remain in shul (and will certainly not be able to daven with kavana in shul!)because of that. I understand that this is hard for some folks to understand; just thank Hashem that you are not so sensitive!

jewwoman

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 5:47 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Urgh. Says who? My chassidishe KT disagreed.

That said, if YOU hold that way, don't wear it. 2 hours before either still has a smell, or doesn't and then why?

Check kitzur shulchan aruch. I asked dh and he said he thinks also says in mishna brurah as well. A man should not smell another womans perfume other than his wifes. The tahar bit he didnt think was true.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 6:14 pm
I wear whatever my DH buys me as surprise gifts. I have worn
Estée Lauder Beautiful
Coach
DKNY Be Delicious
Bulgari
Chanel Chance
And I wear the body fragrance from Bath and Body Workd called: Magic in the Air

And for those that care, I went to Bais Yakov Highschool in BP and I learned Yeshaya in depth in 11th grade.

chag334

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 6:16 pm
Didn't read previous responses... I also stopped wearing perfume when I go out because I learned there's a Halacha against a man being able to smell your scent. Don't ask me for source Smile I also find it more tsnius to wear something subtle- I found the Vanilla body oil from Sabon has an Amaaaazingly delicious smell and it's just for me and my husband:) that I wear every day because of how subtle it is. It just feels good plus the ingredients are superb! I do love perfume though and put it on in the house.

ETA : I love pink sugar, it is verrry girly and sweet which I like but deff an individual preference! Also Burberry Brit. And it's an oldie but JLO glow. Sweet and floral Smile

chag334

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:58 pm
[quote="Fox"]One of the new words I've learned this year is "sillage" (see-azh) -- the degree to which one's perfume lingers in the air when worn. Sometimes this is also referred to as "throw," as in, "Dior's Poison has a really big throw."

Some fragrances have a lot of sillage, and some have very little, but it's a mistake to put on tons of a fragrance with very light sillage in hope of extending its reach. That's usually the cause of the awful suspicion that the woman next to you at shul is a North Korean agent who is secretly launching afloral-scented gas attack.

The idea is that some fragrances are meant to have a very light throw and others, a heavier throw. You use different fragrances to achieve the effect rather than dousing yourself in the stuff.

FYI, The "old lady" quality that all of us recognize is usually referred to as a "powdery note." I'm not a fan personally, but some people like it.

I mentioned using a decanting company before, so let me explain this for anyone who isn't familiar with it. It was definitely news to me when I first learned about it, and I love it.

Basically, there are companies that buy quantities of fragrances and simply decant them into smaller containers. You can buy anywhere from literally one or two shpritzes to a few teaspons.

It's a great way to test out a fragrance over a few days as opposed to having to make a snap decision at the store counter. It's also a great way to buy fragrances that would be too expensive in their conventionally-sold sizes.

I personally use Surrender to Chance. I tried them because they had good reviews from fragrance gurus plus I liked all the educational stuff on their website; I've been very pleased.

Obviously, the cost varies, but a lot of the small sizes (30-50 sprays) are in the $4-$10 range. As a basis for comparison, the smallest bottle of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille runs $230. However, the 15-ml decant (approximately 250 sprays) is $36. Shelling out $230 at once is outside my price range, but I'm willing to contribute $36 a couple of times a year toward Tom's well-being*and smelling

First of all, I like you! You are hilarious.
Second of all, re: the first website you mentioned, are they authentic or spinoffs? I saw a documentary on how cosmetics are being manufactured in China and put into identical packaging (indistinguishable from the real deal) and selling it as one in the same. Dangerous and gross things were found in them!!

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 5:52 am
None. Not for reasons of tznius but fir reasons of consideration of others. You never know who has an allergy or sensitivity to your fragrance and some people get nauseous, headaches or asthma attacks from it. And others might just plain hate it even if it smells like heaven to you. Goodness knows I've given up precious seats on the subway to move away from someone wearing something obnoxious. I'm sure they thought they smelled fresh and pretty and clean, too.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:09 am
jewwoman wrote:
Check kitzur shulchan aruch. I asked dh and he said he thinks also says in mishna brurah as well. A man should not smell another womans perfume other than his wifes. The tahar bit he didnt think was true.

Ah. I hope they're in kollel, the men who hold that way, because you can't control what you smell. Is closing one's nose the new removing glasses LOL LOL LOL

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 11:09 am
Its in both, I've seen the sources myself...that said that's another reason single girls are told not to go outafter showering....their hair can smell heavily like shampoo and conditoner.

sequoia

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 12:13 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Its in both, I've seen the sources myself...that said that's another reason single girls are told not to go outafter showering....their hair can smell heavily like shampoo and conditoner.

Please tell me this is a joke.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 12:19 pm
I work in a very frum environment and in close proximity to men so I do not wear any to work in consideration to them and dignity of myself. Do not want any men thinking about the way I smell!

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 12:32 pm
sequoia wrote:
Please tell me this is a joke.

Adding it to the list:

Women (and girls) should not be seen, heard, or smelled!

chmom

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 12:40 pm
Dior's addict
YSL 's Black Opium nuit blanche

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 12:40 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Adding it to the list:

Women (and girls) should not be seen, heard, or smelled!

Hey I didn't say I per say endorse that. I'm just saying things I've heard lol....it's a concept I've heard. Not saying I agree with it. I clearly said "they say".

Look, when I was single I used tons of creams for my curly hair...I remember walking to school and girls in my class who were walking 5 feet behind me said I my hair smelled really good.

I mean I kinda went embarrassed like....yeah. But you know, there's an ideal, and then there's....frizz. So no, I did not stop using those products.

But yeah, there were some shampoo's girls used that smelled like they came out of a perfume store. I wouldn't do that...but it's not like I'm going to use stuff with no fragrance either.

Just like others were saying you can get a perfume that has less 'throw'? Am I using the word correctly?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 2:11 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

Oh please... I've worked in one of the charediest BY available around here, and NOPE.

Fox

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 3:12 pm
chag334 wrote:
re: the first website you mentioned, are they authentic or spinoffs? I saw a documentary on how cosmetics are being manufactured in China and put into identical packaging (indistinguishable from the real deal) and selling it as one in the same. Dangerous and gross things were found in them!!

To the best of my knowledge, they are completely legit. I found them through the Basenotes forum (think Imamother for fragrance junkies), and they seem to have an excellent reputation among serious perfume people. There's another one that is popular, called The Perfumed Court, but everyone seems to agree that Surrender to Chance has better service.

Some people claim that a decant loses a little of the . . . I don't know, "essence" . . . of the fragrance, but my nose isn't refined enough to notice a difference.

amother wrote:
None. Not for reasons of tznius but for reasons of consideration of others. You never know who has an allergy or sensitivity to your fragrance and some people get nauseous, headaches or asthma attacks from it. And others might just plain hate it even if it smells like heaven to you.

This used to be me. I nearly had to be carried out of my DDs' high school graduation after sitting next to a woman who had apparently celebrated the occasion by dunking herself in a vat of whatever T. J. Maxx had on sale. I tried to be dan l'chav zchus and assume that she was covering up an unfortunate encounter with a skunk, but I could swear that graduation lasted three days.

Since then, though, I've learned more about fragrance, and one of the most important things I learned is that it won't affect people's allergies or assault them if you use it correctly.

* Think of fragrance as something primarily for you and only secondarily for anyone who gets close enough to smell you. A good fragrance applied correctly does not assault strangers and isn't necessarily noticeable even to someone who gets close. A spouse might think, "Mmm," but wouldn't make the connection to, "my wife is wearing perfume." It's just a nice olfactory "white noise" in the background.

* Take frequent "fragrance breaks" so that you don't become immune to the smell -- this is why people sometimes wear too much. They've become so accustomed to the smell that they don't realize how much they're using.

* People's sense of smell declines with age. It's worse for men, but the decline starts earlier in women. That's why you find too many elderly ladies who've doused themselves a bit too liberally.

* It's better to keep an small atomizer and apply a single shpritz throughout the day than to load up in the morning -- unless you're angling for a seat on the subway.

* Be familiar with the halachos of applying perfume on Shabbos and Yom Tov. According to what I was told, you may apply a spray fragrance to your skin on Shabbos, but you may not spray it in such a manner that the fragrance might cling to your clothing. AYLOR.

Anyone who is interested in fragrance should definitely check out the Basenotes forum (Basenotes). I've really enjoyed learning about fragrance, and I feel better about using fragrances when I know I won't trigger anyone's allergies or asthma.

hannah22

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 5:47 pm
Some perfumes that I love are Coco mademoiselle, J'adore by Dior, La Vie Est Belle by Lancome and Ives Saint Laurent.
My all time favourite perfume is Nina Ricci's L'air Du Temps. It's such an old and classic perfume but just beautiful and suitable today as much as it always was.
I also love Chloe perfumes. So yeah, these are all the ones I would use on an everyday and occasion basis depending on the individual scent.
I agree that when people put TOO much perfume it becomes overpowering at times, best when it's subtle but noticeable Smile

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:48 am
I frequently order makeup from Sephora, and each time get about 3 samples of perfume. By now I have bunch of samples stocked up. The ones I hate right off the bat I toss. Then I organize them between the more fresh/sweet every day ones, and the ones that are more rosey, musky, or spicy that I'd wear only at night.
For every day I love marc Jacobs daisy, burberry brit, ralph loren midnight romance (but my husband hates this one--too sweet), dereklam lo Crosby drunk on youth,
for night I like marc Jacobs decadent...I think that's my only current night one I like.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics