Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
HOLY and CHOSEN and SPECIAL - wow!
Previous  1  2  3  4

healthymama

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 6:57 pm
Quote:
There are no quotes from R' Soloveitchik or R' Kotler about the superiority of Jews. None in that article. R' Kaplan's quote is incomplete and you did not understand what he was saying, as I posted elsewhere.

Rav Kotler withdrew his haskama from a sefer which stated your position, simply based on that, that it stated your position- that Jews are always superior. But maybe it's made up... because it doesn't agree with your position? Rabbi Kaplan's quote must be incomplete... uh, let me guess, because it doesn't agree with your position? And the original author of the article is ignorant because..wait... don't tell me... he doesn't agree with your position.

I accept that there are more than one acceptable way to view this issue, but you are bent on rejecting everything which is not in line with your bigotry.

I'm done with these threads. It is like talking to a wall.

Motek

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 9:37 pm
healthymama wrote:
Rav Kotler withdrew his haskama from a sefer

What's the name of the sefer?
Who is the author?
When was the sefer published?
Where in the secular media was the book discussed?
Is the book currently available?
Where are the statements that R' Kotler is alleged to have made, written?
Where did he apologize - in a written statement?

You call this a source?!

Quote:
Rabbi Kaplan's quote must be incomplete... uh, let me guess, because it doesn't agree with your position?

uh, because there are ellipses to indicate an incomplete sentence.

Quote:
And the original author of the article is ignorant because..wait... don't tell me... he doesn't agree with your position.

uh, because he did not back himself up with a single Torah source about superiority, only about kavod ha'briyos (you did read the article, right?)

I hope you're serious about being done with these threads!

Tefila

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 9:56 pm
Motek Tongue Out

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 9:27 pm
faigie wrote:

even chosen out from all the others.......does not mean better.. it means what it says, chosen for a specific purpose.
we were chosen to be the light unto the nations, utilizing our tool of torah.
that means that we were fit to do the job.

How about a Jew who is nebach, in a coma? Is he not holy, chosen, and special because he can't be a light unto the nations?

Piper

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 9:44 pm
Motek wrote:
faigie wrote:

even chosen out from all the others.......does not mean better.. it means what it says, chosen for a specific purpose.

How about a Jew who is nebach, in a coma? Is he not holy, chosen, and special because he can't be a light unto the nations?

you can't answer that. maybe by the concern and compassion shown by the community/family touches a non jewish nurse, etc. He is then indirectly acting as a light unto the nations.....

bashinda

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 9:47 pm
Motek wrote:
faigie wrote:

which begs the question (which maybe you want us to ask),

How do you know this Jew is not being a light unto the nations, even when he's in a coma? Okay it would perhaps be in an indirect way but you never know...

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 10:33 pm
The point is, a Jew, no matter what state he is in, is holy, chosen, and special, REGARDLESS if he fulfills his G-dly mission or not.

faigie

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 6:56 pm
"How do you know this Jew is not being a light unto the nations, even when he's in a coma? Okay it would perhaps be in an indirect way but you never know..."
------- one may never know if a person is revealing light........let me give you an example...... lets say there is this person who seems to be a woooooooonnnnderful person. so nice, erlich etc. youd think that one must admit such a person is revealing light... but the truth is, he might have been born with such a personality, and so has not effected any change for the better in his given personality, and so has revealed NO LIGHT.
ya never know, hashem knows, so only hahsem can do the rechening.

Motek

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 4:42 pm
Just wondering - where are you getting your definition of "being a light onto the nations" from?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics