Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Who picks up shmattehs?

penguin

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 12:21 pm
Which organizations recycle bags of clothing not suitable for wearing?

simba

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 12:25 pm
New York Sanitation Dept.
What would an org do with that clothing?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 12:32 pm
Drop them off at a clothing box. Every gas station has one.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 12:33 pm
Pick purple officially does pick ups.

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 12:55 pm
Please don't donate rags to a charity. It costs them money to dispose of them.

If they are shmattes, throw them out. I am not aware of recycling for cloth but you could check if that exists.

Anything that is dirty or torn or unwearable should NEVER be given to a charity.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 1:08 pm
Pick purple picks up clothing that are not wearable. They shred it & recycle it & somehow make money on it.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 1:32 pm
Wearable Collections is a NYC based company focused on keeping clothing, textiles and shoes out of landfills (quote from their website)

Google clothing recycling nyc for more

The founder of Wearable Collections is a descendant of a Jewish immigrant who made a living...collecting old clothes!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 1:44 pm
H&M takes recyclables, it doesn't have to be H&M clothes. They say it doesn't matter the condition though I've never tried. They give you something like 30-40% off one item in exchange.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Oct 24 2017, 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 1:57 pm
Amarante wrote:
Please don't donate rags to a charity. It costs them money to dispose of them.

If they are shmattes, throw them out. I am not aware of recycling for cloth but you could check if that exists.

Anything that is dirty or torn or unwearable should NEVER be given to a charity.

The Purple Heart takes everything. Whatever is not wearable gets shredded sold, and used as matress filling. They take the funds from the sale and put it to use in their org. EVERYTHING has a use. You just have to find out who needs it.

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 2:07 pm
watergirl wrote:
The Purple Heart takes everything. Whatever is not wearable gets shredded sold, and used as matress filling. They take the funds from the sale and put it to use in their org. EVERYTHING has a use. You just have to find out who needs it.

There may be specialized charities who take EVERYTHING.

However, in my experience, most mainstream charities do not want rags or other items that aren't usable. I am getting rid of a lot of items and so have been in contact with various charities including the Jewish Woman's Council. They have very specific items they will not accept including clothing that isn't wearable - I.e. shmattes.

So before depositing items, check with the organization.

I'm all for recycling but most charities are not in the recycling field and you cost them money if you just deposit bags at their doorstep which they must dispose of.

penguin

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 4:34 pm
It does not seem that Pick Purple takes non-wearables. But I'll look into the others. Thanks to all who replied.

It seems there are charities that make small amounts of money for clothing that gets shredded.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries