Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Opinion please on this trip

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 1:01 pm
Travel agent found tickets to israel for pesach. Both are reasonable. One is about $175 cheaper per ticket, Awesome right- but you have to spend 12 hours in Amsterdam. Would love to save the money, but unfortunately have never had the urge to tour Amsterdam and the kids would not appreciate it touring the area. Sorry anyone on here who lives in Amsterdam. I looked on chabad website and I do see there are Kosher restaurants and one or 2 museums, but still not intrigued. The thought of even leaving the airport makes me uncomfortable, but the thought of the extra money in my pocket is pulling me. DH says spend the extra money just because the timing of the other tickets is way better especially for him and work.
Thoughts????

shluchamom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 1:06 pm
I say don't be penny wise and dollar foolish the trip is long enough as it is 12 hours with children if you aren't interested in touring Amsterdam will be a nightmare. And your husband seems to agree so go for the more expensive but better itinerary and enjoy.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 1:07 pm
Sounds like a done deal if DH said to spend the extra money.

moonstone

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 1:21 pm
By your third hour (with 9 more to go) of trying to keep your kids occupied, you will be wishing you had spent the extra money.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 1:24 pm
There are interesting things to do in Amsterdam. Tour the Anne Frank House, go to the Zoo. Lots of excellent museums. Not sure of your kids' ages and tastes.

I personally do not like stopovers when I am travelling with kids.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 1:54 pm
I would never want a 12 hour layover. No matter how great the destination. The trip is hard enough w/o schlepping around on tours between flights and the aggravation of leaving and coming back to the airport. (You’ll have to clear customs twice, no? Sounds beyond awful).

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 2:06 pm
Yeah, an overnight stopover with a night in a hotel is one thing, but a long layover in limbo in a foreign country is difficult with children.

Not worth $175, IMO.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 2:12 pm
Also, touring and entertaining your kids during this stopover is going to cost you something. That will deeply burn into your savings from your tickets. If your only goal is to save money, then def consider that angle.

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 2:38 pm
The OP is not saving $175, but $175 a ticket. That is a minimum of $175*4=$700 (the op mentions kids in the plural). I am not saying it is worth it. For me, I don't even look at stopover tickets because if I am going on vacation I want it to be a vacation. I would think 12 hours of amsterdam would be cool-but not toting hand luggage with me and definitely not with kids who would not appreciate the rijksmuseum etc...If the other amount was okay in your mind to pay, and you don't want a stopover, I would try to put this option out of my mind.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 5:29 pm
Check Other airlines. $175 cheaper is t a great deal. I have found tickets for $500 round trip with a stopover in Madrid.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 5:49 pm
A 12 hour layover might sound like a lot of time, and it IS a lot of time to entertain children in an airport, but it’s NOT a lot of time to go out touring. Once you leave the airport (with your kids and your carry-ons and all the other stuff you need up lug around) and start looking for activities nearby, those 12 hours can fly by too fast. Keep in mind if you’re venturing out you need to find your way back, not get stuck in traffic, go through security again and possibly also through customs again, and get back to your gate with enough time to board your flight. I personally wouldn’t take the risk.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 8:07 pm
wow- I really expected most to say- say the $700 extra bucks(spot on with 4 of us) I feel I should be frugal, but still ugh! 12 hour layover- ugh ugh ugh- not going to be frugal and save my sanity.
Thanks everyone!!

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 8:08 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
A 12 hour layover might sound like a lot of time, and it IS a lot of time to entertain children in an airport, but it’s NOT a lot of time to go out touring. Once you leave the airport (with your kids and your carry-ons and all the other stuff you need up lug around) and start looking for activities nearby, those 12 hours can fly by too fast. Keep in mind if you’re venturing out you need to find your way back, not get stuck in traffic, go through security again and possibly also through customs again, and get back to your gate with enough time to board your flight. I personally wouldn’t take the risk.

This was also my other concern- leave the airport and then suddenly some issue comes up with passport or visa if needed etc. and then we are stuck dealing with issues.
Thanks everyone for the common sense factor!

cnc

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 8:10 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:

This. 12 hours is really not enough time to leave the airport with children.

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 5:34 pm
I've done this exact scenario, 12 hour layover in Amsterdam, but without kids. We left most of our hand luggage in a locker in the airport for a very small price. And the train/tram system runs very smoothly. We got alot of info beforehand from dans deals forums, made an itinerary, figured out the trains we needed... We landed in the morning, took a train from the airport to the health area, davened shacharis, bought some breakfast. And then took a train to see a few sites. Anne Frank's house, the Heineken museum, strolled the markets, and maybe something else. Then headed back to the Jewish area for mincha and bought supper to take with us to eat at the airport. Took a train back to the airport, and we're back in time to check back in and board the next flight. It was really great! BUT we were 2 adults, I would never even think of doing this with kids in tow. Everything would take way longer, you wouldn't actually get to see much, and the kids would just get kvetchy being shlepped around like that.

With kids I would only do a short stopover, if any at all, and only if it is significantly cheaper

Last edited by Rosemarie on Thu, Oct 26 2017, 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 6:08 am
OP, how about picking another date than passover? Passover (and Succot) are the most expensive times to travel. If you have to go: check other airlines too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics