Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Giving up your bed for guests
Previous  1  2

MyKidsRQte

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 7:47 pm
I only invite guests when I know for sure my kids dont mind giving up their room. I ask them over and over. When I was married and my X-in laws came for Shabbes, I gave them my bedroom. But for anyone else, I usually give over my children's room

downsyndrome

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 8:55 pm
I think a lot depends on whether the guests are coming out of necessity or out of luxury. If it is a luxury, optional visit then I don't think it's fair to inconvenience the family, unless they all want the guests!
I remember so clearly and sadly, five years ago my mother a'h was in the final stages of cancer r'l. For the last two months of her life I had my parents move into my home cuz my mother was too sick to be home. My husband and I gave them our bedroom and we moved in with the children in the kids' room. I nursed my mom a'h for those 2 months and those memories still warm me. I consider myself lucky to have had them stay with us.
My daughter gave birth to her first baby 8 mths. ago and I gave her our master bedroom for six weeks, while my husband and I moved in with the little ones again. It was the most practical arrangement, considering that we don't have all that much bedroom space and any other way we would have done it, would have messed up my family's bedroom/sleep arrangements big time!!! so this worked out best.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 4:18 am
I think it is good chinuch for kids to show them you can go out of your way for people. Usuallyit is relatives we have over so the kids are so excited to see them they don't mind. Or if it is not realtives it is people with kids, which my kids also love having.

faigie

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 5:58 am
yyeeeessssssssshhhh when my parents had guests when I was a kid, I used to sleep in a sleeping bag in my parents room on the floor. wasnt such a big deal. in fact, their room had the TV!!!

raizy

Post Sun, Jul 01 2007, 8:32 pm
I slept on the couch and in my parents room on the floor. but still the couch thing was weird.my brother in law used to pass the couch to get to the kitchen... not so tzunus. in my mind.

I wouldnt do it to my kids. I would make sure that everyone has a proper bed. and closed room.

Devorah

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 7:33 am
I used to always give up my room for my married siblings when they used to come for shabbos, I used to resent it a bit,
and then I learnt to deal, and to be happy,
now I always have guests in my house for shabbos,
and I have given over on many occasions my pillows, blankets etc.. oh and once I gave up my room to my inlaws who came to visit.
and me any my husband bunked in a smaller room on matresses on the floor,
but I am very happy to do it,
thinking of how big of a mitzva it is..
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics