Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do antibiotics or stopping abx make kids hyper/sleepless?

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:32 am
DD7 just finished a round of amoxil for strep.

Last night she was crazy, off the wall hyper at bedtime. Couldn't settle down. Couldn't stop giggling over nothing.

Said child has often has difficulty falling asleep, and does tend to be hyper or need help calming down at times, but this was just beyond insanity. Because of her frequent issues I have a lot of coping tools (PATIENCE plus melatonin, essential oils, music, etc) but the level of hyperness last night was so overwhelming I just couldn't deal with it.

Could this have to do with the antibiotics? Or with stopping the antibiotics? If so what do you do? Does it just go away?

She is taking probiotics. Just started yesterday because the package said not to use during antibiotic treatment.

It was just so overwhelmingly crazy.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:37 am
B"H my kids have rarely needed antibiotics, but my daughter did take one (can't remember name) as a toddler and went berserk on it. Rare, but happens.
Oh, and we noticed it right away and doctor switched her to something else.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:42 am
I've had medicine reactions where the kid goes crazy but that's always been within the first couple of days of taking it. I've also had where the strep makes the kid crazy but that didn't happen with this child this time. This all started within the last couple of days, at the END of the antibiotics. Either weird or coincidental, I don't know, but I hope tonight is better because I really don't want to lose either my mind or my temper. Last night was SO hard.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 11:46 am
My daughter gets hyper when she's on medication. Literally a different person, loud & wild when she's usually a calm more quiet child. Maybe it happens to some kids when they finish the meds?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics