Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What I love about...

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 2:10 am
...whatever. Come add yours. Positive comments only. Try not to take offence at anything - remember what "I" love is subjective for every "I".

Some groups I am not so familiar with. If I have less items it does not mean I Iike that group less.

This is just a start. Please add to it.

In no particular order-

Modern Orthodox

That they were easier for me to relate to when I started keeping Shabbat.

That they really embrace women's learning.

That they "invented" yoatzot.

That they serve in the army

Chareidim

That they emphasize learning for men so much and so many chiddushei haTorah come from this stream.

That they are not swayed by the modern world, but stick to their principles.

That they hold fast to the Torah.

That they teach Torah in a strong way that makes it usually pass on to the next generation.

Lubavitch

Kindness and acceptance of all Jews.

Willing to teach in their schools, and privately, students (children and adults) from all walks of life.

Value women learning.

Reform

That even though many don't "believe" in G-d's omnipotence or the overarching yoke of the Torah in the same way as some other sects, they still identify with and are committed to.the Jewish people.

Secularism

Where I live, many shuls and schools exist only because of the financial contribution of secular Jews. The fact that people who don't "believe" in G-d or the yoke of Torah are able to give so much of their hard earned parnassa to Jewish causes is indeed a wonderful thing.

Chassidim

They are true to Hashem and their Rebbe.

They put the needs of the group as a whole above their individual needs.

They have gemachim for just about everything.

They add color to our Torah.

They maintain strong.demarcation between men and women.

They care deeply about the Jewish people.

What can you add?

Positive comments only please.

InnerMe

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 2:19 am
Great thread, OP!!!
It's time for me to go catch some sleep. But I'll be back IY"H.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 3:41 am
Hilchot Deot 7:4

וכל המספר בטובת חבירו בפני שונאיו הרי זה אבק לשון הרע שזה גורם להם שיספרו בגנותו ועל זה הענין אמר שלמה מברך רעהו בקול גדול בבקר השכם קללה תחשב לו שמתוך טובתו בא לידי רעתו

Similarly, it is also considered the "dust of lashon horah" when someone speaks favorably about a colleague* in the presence of his enemies, for this will surely prompt them to speak disparagingly about him. In this regard, King Solomon said [Proverbs 27:14]: "One who greets his colleague early in the morning, in a loud voice, curses him," for his positive [act] will bring him negative [repercussions].

http://www.chabad.org/library/.....n.htm

* I think "another person" would be clearer than "a colleague". If one wants to retain the sense of the Hebrew, perhaps "one's fellow" but that's a bit overly formal. Maybe add a footnote about what the Hebrew word means.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 3:47 am
imasoftov

She is so knowledgeable about so many many things!!!!

Ok I was just aiming for some achdus after all those other threads.

But I do not want to cause problems or go against halacha, and I do think you make a legitimate point.

I am curious if it would mean that you can never say anything positive on the internet because you do not know if you are in the presence of "enemies". It's an interesting question.

Anyone who really thinks the thread is a problem, please report it and ask for it to be deleted.

We will let the moderators decide. (presumably Yael has some type of halachic authority she consults on this type of issue).

InnerMe

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 11:33 pm
Chassidus (Aint gonna talk to long bout this one... bec. course I am biased cuz that's me!)

There's a warmth in doing mitzvos. It's not "Oy, we're just gonna do what we need to do but we aint going to pretend we're happy about it" It's joy, and song and happiness in doing mitzvos.

MO
I appreciate the intellectual side they bring to the table of Torah Judaism. Their questions, and thoughts make me think things through and allow me to see old things in a new light.

Their willingness and openness in admitting to flaws in our social systems, and open to change within halacha's bounds.

Litvish & Yeshivish
Thier emphasis on a simple life style, without all the frills and luxuries. IMO that's beautiful.

The raising of talmidei chachamim that live and breathe torah through and through. Of course that's all over, but in this sect I see it more.

Chabad
Their Acceptance and love to any kind of Jew.
Connecting Jews around the world and creating this awesome sense of achdus.
Their spirit and character they bring to Torah life.

All of Klal Yisroel
An awesome religious group that do amazing things. Who sacrifice for the sake of their values. Who are always growing and becoming better. Who have a neshama, a spark of G-d in each of them.

And when all those sparks come together, united. All stripes and types, we become a power oh so great, a brilliant blazing flame that can never be extinguished. (here I go being poetic again...)

Ladies these are compliments!!!!Smile
I hope none will be misconstrued as not!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 8:27 am
Klal Yisroel and its exemplars in particular

Mishpacha asked Rav Yitzchok Dovid Grossman shlita what his favorite gift was. He said he thanked Hashem for his capacity for unqualified ahavas Yisroel.

May any good that comes from this be a zechus for Miriam Liba bas R' Aharon.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Mon, Dec 25 2017, 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 8:53 am
One of my sons lives in Monsey and there are all kinds of Jews there and some of them sell cholent on Thursdays and that is what I love.

livinginflatbus

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 9:22 am
The Jewish people , that they all came together with such unity to welcome our brother , rubashkin home with such warmth and acceptance

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 9:29 am
livinginflatbus wrote:
The Jewish people , that they all came together with such unity to welcome our brother , rubashkin home with such warmth and acceptance

I just started a new thread (about an hour ago) about that beautiful level of achdus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics