Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
1 1/2 yr old yeling for attn, from frustration & no pati

m&m

Post Sun, Jun 05 2005, 11:21 pm
My 1 1/2 year old son gets frustrated quite easily. Example: If the pot lid doesn't fit onto the pot properly the first time he tries, he'll kvetch or yell. He also does not have patience especially when it comes to food. He can be watching me prepare his food and he just cries and yells till I actually give it to him.
He can also stand in the middle of the room and if no one notices him, will give an ear-piercing shriek just so that the whole room will stop and notice him.
We have tried putting him in his crib for time out which he enjoys and definitely needs (he doesn't really consider that a punishment...which I don't want it to be)
Any suggestions? I don't want him to grow up being so frustrated and I would like to teach him patience too.

Ima-to-angels

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 4:30 am
he sounds pretty normal to me! Once he starts talking and being able to express himself properly and figures out how to do things himself (pot lids/putting things together etc) chances are he'll calm down a bit.
One thing I have noticed is the diff. bet. my DD and DS. DS will stand and scream just for the fun of it or start bashing things on the floor just to hear the noise. My DD never did any of that. Waiting to see what the youngest DD will do.

motheroftwo

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 3:22 pm
I have the same thing with my daughter. She is now 2 and it does get better especially since she's now able to verbally express herself.
When she gets frustrated I calmly tell her "Miriam, you don't have to cry, if you need help ask Mommy to help you." I repeat this over and over again and she actually is doing much better now.
Good luck!

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 3:45 pm
I do something similar with my 20 month old daughter. I usually say, "It's okay. Try doing it like this..." and try not to sound upset at her for kvetching/crying/screaming out her frustration. She also gets frustrated very easily- I think it's very normal and they'll grow out of it.

yehudis

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 6:32 pm
Sounds like a 1.5 year old Smile. Perfectly normal, they grow out of it. Just be understanding. Say something like, "I know it's frustrating when you can't put this lid on. Let's try again." That way, you are helping him name the emotion and hopefully, when he gets older, he'll say things like, "I'm really frustrated" instead of screaming.

m&m

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 9:03 pm
Thank you all!! It's important for me to hear that this is normal so that I don't get upset with him. I like the idea of talking calmly to him eventhough he doesn't understand, I guess eventually, he will.

Besides for screaming, he also kvetches a lot of the day even if hes not tired. Is that normal too?

Yael

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 4:14 pm
looks like like he needs alot of attention. some kids just need more TLC than others, do your best to give him what he needs but dont get stressed out when you cant give 100% of your time, (b/c thats what he wants)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics