Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Philly mesivta
1  2  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 3:12 pm
What is the phone number for the Philly mesivta? Also, does anyone have a son there, or is applying for next year? I'd love to hear all about it. Thanx.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 3:37 pm
(215) 477-1000

My son is there

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 3:56 pm
Thanx. I tried that phone number, but it sounded like it was for the Bais medrash.. is that definitely the number for the mesivta? Also, could you please share info about the mesivta. What you like about it, and what your son likes about it. Are there any challenges? Was he considering any other mesivtas? If so, what?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 4:13 pm
They have one office and that is the number to it.

It is an excellent Mesivta but the boys work very hard. My son is busy from wake up till 11pm. They have a small break for lunch and supper. Sunday they have a little more free time as there is no secular except PE.

This is a yeshiva for boys who like to learn a lot. He has excellent Rabbeim, he is challenged in his learning.

He was considering one Yeshiva in the town we live but Philly was his first choice so he went there.

I chose Philly because I wanted a great Yeshiva where they would also get a High School diploma.

I do find it hard that he does not live at home anymore but this is my issue not my son.

Ask me more specific questions if you have.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 4:17 pm
How often do the boys come home in ninth grade? Did your son know other boys before he went? How did your son adjust at the beginning? Is there someone there looking out for them? My son really wants to go there, and loves learning. He's not that assertive though...

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 4:26 pm
My son is going there for his farher this shabbos. He is also applying to rabbi lieff's yeshiva (yeshiva of south monsey). Some friends who are applying to Philly are applying to schlanger's in Baltimore, Peekskill, and Riverdale.
I've heard that they give out a limited # of applications, so you'd better call soon!
Best of luck!

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 4:35 pm
amother wrote:
How often do the boys come home in ninth grade? Did your son know other boys before he went? How did your son adjust at the beginning? Is there someone there looking out for them? My son really wants to go there, and loves learning. He's not that assertive though...

He comes between every 4 to 5 weeks. However when they go for Ellul zman they don't come back after Yom Kippur which is around six weeks.

My son had one other boy in his class go but that was not a criteria at all. When I dropped off my son he was very nervous but adjusted very quickly and this is a boy who never went to sleep away camp. The staff are very dedicated to the boys, no concerns there.My son is an Aidel boy not the assertive type, that is not a problem. If your son loves to learn then he will appreciate Philly.

I miss my son terribly but he is growing and gaining so much.

flmommy

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 4:41 pm
Are you discussing the Chabad HS or a different school?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 4:48 pm
flmommy wrote:
Are you discussing the Chabad HS or a different school?

Not Chabad

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:37 pm
Please be aware that the Philly received 150-200 applicants for 9th grade and only accepts 40 at the max (per DS who is an alumnus of the Yeshiva and is still involved with it).

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 11:10 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Please be aware that the Philly received 150-200 applicants for 9th grade and only accepts 40 at the max (per DS who is an alumnus of the Yeshiva and is still involved with it).

No it is between 26 & 27. Applications are on a first come basis so call right away. That is the way it is now.

I have to add I really like the dorm.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 11:24 pm
They give out 100 applications for 9the grade. After that they don't guarantee a farher (entrance exam).
Are you perhaps referring to the mesivta of greater Philadelphia? That's more of a day school than a yeshiva. Google it.

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 4:03 am
The Mesivta and the Yeshiva are completely separate and unrelated -- the yeshiva forms its own community in Overbrook and attracts boys from all over whereas the Mesivta serves the local community in Bala Cynwyd/Wynnewood/etc. The Mesivta is a lovely day school run by Rabbi Avraham Steinberg and according to a 12th grade boy I spoke to from there, the after-graduation plan for some boys is chareidi yeshiva gedola and for some it is an American DL yeshiva like KBY or Shaalvim and then college. Is that helpful?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 9:08 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
The Mesivta and the Yeshiva are completely separate and unrelated -- the yeshiva forms its own community in Overbrook and attracts boys from all over whereas the Mesivta serves the local community in Bala Cynwyd/Wynnewood/etc. The Mesivta is a lovely day school run by Rabbi Avraham Steinberg and according to a 12th grade boy I spoke to from there, the after-graduation plan for some boys is chareidi yeshiva gedola and for some it is an American DL yeshiva like KBY or Shaalvim and then college. Is that helpful?

I don't think this is the yeshiva (ie, the continuation of the day school) that OP is referring to.

OP, you're talking about R' Shmuel Kaminetzky and R' Svei's yeshiva, right?
That is NOT the day school continuation.
(My son is there.)

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 10:41 am
Oh I see -- now the "how often do the boys come home" question makes sense. Sorry!

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 11:41 am
She asked about the Philly mesivta. Since nobody calls the yeshiva a mesivta, I thought she might be taking about the mesivta of greater Philly.
It's one office for the mesivta and bais medrash

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 7:13 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think this is the yeshiva (ie, the continuation of the day school) that OP is referring to.

OP, you're talking about R' Shmuel Kaminetzky and R' Svei's yeshiva, right?
That is NOT the day school continuation.
(My son is there.)

This is the Yeshiva my son is in.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:
She asked about the Philly mesivta. Since nobody calls the yeshiva a mesivta, I thought she might be taking about the mesivta of greater Philly.
It's one office for the mesivta and bais medrash

Um. My son is there and he calls it "mesivta."

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 11:30 pm
There is "The Mesivta..." as in that's the official name of the school. And the "Talmudical Yeshiva of Philadelphia " otherwise known as "Philly Yeshiva."
Op, please clarify which one you are asking about.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 11:34 pm
Philly yeshiva
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children