Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Need high school suggestions for son

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:03 am
My son is looking for a yeshiva high school.
He is very sheltered, and wants to stay that way: he is careful about what he looks at, careful about the music he listens to, etc..
However, he isn't the most motivated learner. For example, at night, when his brothers are reviewing mishnayos or and his sisters are memorizing yedios klalios or brachos or whatever for some contest..... he is happy to sit on the couch, listen to his MP3 or read the Zman magazine.
His friends are interested in places like Riverdale, Philly, and Long Beach. He needs an atmosphere that is more relaxed about learning, but with yeshivish hashkafos and a parent/student body that limits secular media exposure.
He is pretty bright, just needs a lot of motivation. I imagine that as he matures, he will really begin to appreciate learning and I do think one day it will really "click." However, in the meantime, he needs a laid back atmosphere, and lots of encouragement. I do also want to continue to encourage him to be "shtark" and extra-careful about certain things....for this particular kid, it's very good for him.

looking for a place with a good set up for out of town kids (ie- dorm, shabbos program, etc..)

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:39 am
Look into Ohr Naftoli in New Windsor, CT, which sounds like a great fit. Another option to consider is Calabasas (just outside LA), and possibly Scranton, Edison, and Bayonne. You can find an even more relaxed environment in Englewood. Feel free to PM me for details on any of these.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 5:59 pm
Not Scranton. Its not for laid back learners. Though the rest probably fits.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 6:19 pm
Boston? Kesser Torah in Baltimore?

momtra

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 10:12 pm
Ohr Reuven? (Rabbi Rudinsky in Monsey )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics