Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Clergy self employment question

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 8:47 pm
I always did my taxes myself in the past. This year dh became a rebbe. He gets a parsonage check which I know he needs to report and well pay the full fica tax on. He also gets a regular paycheck where they take off taxes but they never took off fica. When I got his w2 it said he was exempt from fica. I happened to bump into an ccountant today who I knew and asked him what this all about and he said I need to file a form se and pay the full 15percent fica because its treated like seld employment. Dh does plenty of work at home for his job. If he is considered self employed can I treat my house like a home office and while im at it get a deduction for my.car too.

GetReal

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:30 pm
Afaik no. Clergy have to pay se tax but are employees, not self employed when it comes to expenses.

fbmommy

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:09 pm
Besides, home offices can only be deducted if they are used solely for business use, and not personal use at all.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:15 pm
Once you have self employment , I would use an accountant. The laws r confusing.

fraimal

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:41 pm
my husband also became a rebbe this past September so this will be the first time I will be filing taxes with parsonage income. I don't think that you fill out self employed form. I found a great pdf from aguda that explains it super clearly. click link below from aguda for very good detailed info
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ourll.....4.mp3

https://agudathisrael.org/the-.....2017/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics