Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Arts n crafts ideas to do with my children after school

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:58 pm
I would love to do some arts n crafts with my children after school. My children are 7 & 2. It's really hard to do something that occupies both at once... any ideas?

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 11:02 pm
Things like clay and various painting methods will keep them both busy and they could create age appropriate creations.
Collages- two year old can glue on shapes, etc. while 7 year old can make her own shapes or cut out pictures from a kids magazine and make a collage.
Food "crafts" like cookies, cupcakes...
Diy puffy paint , picture frames...each can create on their own level.
Eta: they can both help make the clay, play do, etc

Last edited by OutATowner on Tue, Jan 09 2018, 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

climbing613

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 11:04 pm
Painting, popsicle stick building crafts, stamping, mosaic art, cardboard dollhouses or parking garages, origami-for 2 year old, I make the origami and they decorate it, puppets, homemade costumes-mind love that

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 11:41 pm
My kids are 7 and 3. They are really happy when I just put out paper, crayons markers stickers. Keeps them really busy!

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 11:57 pm
I Google "cute science experiments for kids" and the grandkids LOVE it! They made a soda bottle explode, they made edible glass, colorful ice cubes.. They were amazed! Look it up! It's so much fun, even for you!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 1:03 pm
I have a 7 and 3 year old and do a dots(its between paint and markers) are very popular with both of them.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 1:10 pm
A 2 year old is limited to stickers and crayons and safe non-toxic art supplies. My older grandchildren, however, age 4 and up like to sew. My sewing machine has an option of a finger on and off switch rather than using the foot pedal as well as it has a turtle to rabbit speed setting so that I have been able to do sewing projects on the machine with children as young as 6.

I recently did some hand sewing with granddaughter Ruthie, age 4, where I put the needle in the fabric and Ruthie pulled it through. She was thrilled.

You can also buy some animal cookies and some cake decor and let them paint the animals and eat them later. Ours like to decorate cupcakes, cookies, anything sticky and gooey.

They can also take old white socks and make faces with markers on them, or glue or sew on faces and use them as puppets.

Stars

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 1:16 pm
What about a baking activity?

DVOM

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 1:32 pm
I love doing art activities with my kids! How specific do you want me to be? I have soooo many ideas!

Surrendered

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 1:40 pm
I buy different colors masking tape, the boys create roads for cars on the floor. They create buildings, parking lots and more... It's ez to remove, just peel and throw out. Kids love it. ..

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 10:40 pm
Op here. U guys r awesome!! Such fun ideas!! I will definitely have what to consider.
Thank you!
Keep posting

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 10:41 pm
DVOM wrote:
I love doing art activities with my kids! How specific do you want me to be? I have soooo many ideas!

Start with the fun and simple Ones! Very Happy

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 5:23 am
Make slime with them. They love it Tongue Out

DVOM

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
Start with the fun and simple Ones! Very Happy

OK, our current passion: Crayola watercolors. Really easy to set up and clean up, and all of my kids love it, age 2-9.

We save wedding and bar mitzva invitations, my boys love using the hard cardpaper and envelopes to make each other 'mail'. They color and paint on the blank sides and put it in our mailbox for each other. Now that some of them have thier own rooms, they sometimes make 'invitations' to 'parties' in their rooms. So adorable.

We love making 'containers': we save empty cans and sturdy food boxes, and use glueguns to glue fabric and glittle and sequins to make little containers for all thier precious stuff

Grocery store boxes: We love them! they are cars, dollhouses, castles, trains! Use paint or construction paper to cover and decorate them.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 10:46 am
My 2 yo loves aquadoodle. It's coloring on a mat with water. No mess and he does that while I do homework with other kids.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 11:49 am
Plum- we are very into slime/putty, but even woth non toxic ingredients it's a choking hazard for 2 year olds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics