Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Name rabbi

Seraph

Post Sat, Jul 28 2007, 11:39 pm
Does anyone know of a rabbi who specializes in knowing about names, what names are good, what name combinations work, etc?
If its a rabbi in israel that you can visit (preferably in jerusalem), whats his name, and where is he located?
If he's a rabbi in the states, that you can call up maybe? Name and contact info?

And just for curiousity's sake, can you say what "sect" of yiddishkeit he's part of?

I heard Rav Mordechai Eliyahu (dati leumi) knows a lot about names. Anyone know anyone else?

Newsie

Post Sun, Aug 12 2007, 9:25 am
The only person I could think of was also R' Mordechai Eliyahu. I once read an article where he spoke about all different types of names and how a lot of names Israelis name their children can be very harmful to them later in life. (Like Re'ut- which sounds like a nice name- friendship- is spelled Ra'ot and could cause a lot of problems to the girl.)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 12 2007, 11:17 am
I believe that some names are terrible role models. Izevel, Datan... oy.

But some say "don't name after someone who passed young", some say add a name, some say change the name, some say keep the name like that... so I don't think there is a rule. Same for combining two names of different people or not, what about translating or equivalent or sounding alike, is this naming after or not, can you give 3, 4 names or not, do you have to call all the names or not, nicknames yes or no, can you give non Hebrew names..... too many different opinions. Imo LOL

amother

Post Sun, Aug 12 2007, 12:10 pm
Rav Moshe Weinberger has spoken extensively about this.
http://www.aishkodesh.org/abou......html
If you navigate through that website, you should be able to find contact information for him.
Though he is YU trained, he is very Chassidish in his outlook. I believe he identifies with Ger.

Seraph

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 2:06 am
In the end I found a rav, knowledgeable on names...
And turns out he's the rav of my shul.

Rav Kornreich, the son in law of the Seret Vizhnitzer rebbe, is very knowledgeable about names, name combinations, and the implications on the kid's future.
For example, he told my freind who named her kid Aryeh Shalom that with a name Aish, Aleph shin, its no doubt he's a feisty kid with a temper. He doesn't reccomend at all naming names that the first name is an aleph and the second is a shin...

And also says not to put two strong names together...

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 4:40 am
I never heard of anything like this ... I thought names were a desire or already in the family ...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 11:55 am
breslov wrote:

what makes a name strong?

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 6:50 am
Ruchel wrote:
breslov wrote:

what makes a name strong?

Well the example he gave was Eitan Zecharia.

Or two neviim.

Last edited by Seraph on Tue, Aug 14 2007, 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 10:24 am
interesting! did he say other things?

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 11:13 am
He did... but I'm not gonna get too specific...

He mentioned something about the letters of the kids names and the parents names. (I'll share after my baby is born and named iy'h.)
He also said that if there is a pasuk with the names of the baby and the parents its great.

Tefila

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 6:12 pm
Yep makes complete sense and is oh so true Exclamation

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 4:29 am
I met someone who had twin girls, she wanted devorah leah and chava chana, their last name is hecht she explaein that if she would have done devorah leah hecht the first 3 letters spell dalle in something about being poor so she switched the names to chava leah and chana devorah.

I also heard that when in breslov one gives nachman it's advisable it add another name to it.

I did hear 2 strong names together... ds2 nossoin eliyahu apart from it being gfathers it's rebbe nosson and eliyahu hanavi. 2 neighbours both have nosson shimon, rebbe nosson and rashbi.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names