Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Orlando ideas for a large family with kids

real

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 11:20 am
Hi,

My family has been through a lot the past few years and I would love to take my kids to Florida in the summer. What theme parks are good for kids that don't like rides? what are kosher food options?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 12:47 pm
Anon as I literally have had this conversation a few times recently.
I do not like rides but loved all the Disney and Universal parks. They are themes parks and not so many real rides or wild ones. There are many 3d movie rides that move. I can't stand places like Great Adventures as I don't like rides.
All the parks are amazing, each one has pluses and minuses, can get very expensive very fast.
I live in Florida, so get resident tickets, they can't be transferred, they check ID.
I haven't been to any of the water parks but if you're ok with going, I hear they're great. I just never had time to go, hopefully this summer.
Disney, Universal and Sea World all have them.

Legoland at items has reasonable tickets, a lot of fun, great time, but nothing compared to Disney or Universal. There's Sea World, if you like that, I haven't. been, my friends all love it.

Universal has City walking Disney has Disney springs, where you can walk around, see street performers, cute stores, just pleasant to hang around in.
Disney Springs has a free ferry too.

My kids enjoyed Wonder Works, it's cheaper if you have 15 people.We usually do a few families together.

An hour away is Kennedy Space Center, not cheap, but very interesting and educational.

There's some kosher, a pizza shop, meat place and maybe some more, Winn dixie has groceries. I always bring my own and cook in hotel.

Orlando is very hot and humid in the summer, keep that in mind when planning.Can be done with light clothing, caps, sunglasses, light raincoats as it rains on and off almost every day.
mini fans or/and fan misters are very helpful.

All eateries in all parks give water and ice, I usually bring refillable bottles instead of shlepping extra bottles.

real

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 12:53 pm
thank you!

I am thinking about Epcot/Disney and Animal Kingdom. Just seems very overwhelming to plan. Are you allowed to leave and come back the same day?
good to know about the weather.Do you think its silly to go in the summer when it is boiling?

Its the only time we are able to go and I think it would be really special for my kids.
Which hotels would you recommend for families?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 1:10 pm
Be prepared to spend a bundle. Disney is extremely expensive, but more a big family it will be exhorbitant

real

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 1:28 pm
is disney a fortune just for tickets or are there a lot of attractions inside that you need to pay for?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 1:31 pm
real wrote:
is disney a fortune just for tickets or are there a lot of attractions inside that you need to pay for?

Tickets are high. Food, drinks, ice cream are additional. But tickets are high

real

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 1:34 pm
so that I know. I have been putting away money for something I want in my house but I am thinking a really nice vacation will last longer in memories than carpet. I feel like if I get the Hotel,tickets to parks, and airline tickets, it is just mostly food to think about. Am I way off?

We go on vacation usually for two nights to the Poconos. This would be 5 days in Florida.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 1:51 pm
real wrote:
so that I know. I have been putting away money for something I want in my house but I am thinking a really nice vacation will last longer in memories than carpet. I feel like if I get the Hotel,tickets to parks, and airline tickets, it is just mostly food to think about. Am I way off?

We go on vacation usually for two nights to the Poconos. This would be 5 days in Florida.

I don’t know how many kids you have, but for five days, think that you will spend about $5,000. I think. There are ways to do cheaper, if you only choose Disney or universal and stay in their hotels.

real

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 1:59 pm
I don't t think I am going to be making the trip again in the near future so I want to pack in whatever we could, in a slow enjoyable kind of way. I found a hotel that seems doable, I am just wondering if I am forgetting about a major expense somewhere.(besides tickets, flight,hotel)

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 2:41 pm
real wrote:
I don't t think I am going to be making the trip again in the near future so I want to pack in whatever we could, in a slow enjoyable kind of way. I found a hotel that seems doable, I am just wondering if I am forgetting about a major expense somewhere.(besides tickets, flight,hotel)

I went in the summer. It was bearable. We alternated between indoor and outdoor atteactions. We spent on tickets( got a discount), flights( found cheap), spent a cheap price on a good neighbor hotel that privided shuttles and got dinner at the parks. The last day the kids got $20 to spend at Disney Springs. No other expenses. The most important thing is to plan plan and plan. We knew which foods to bring along with paper goods.. we left early so got to go on rides while the parks were empty. Disney Springs is great to go for a few hours at night time.

real

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 2:49 pm
where did you find discount tickets and flights?
I am just starting my research now

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 2:55 pm
real wrote:
where did you find discount tickets and flights?
I am just starting my research now

The hotel I stayed in had a promotion at that time- one free day park ticket per person. Many hotels have special offers sometimes.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 10:42 pm
Google for discounts and keep looking, sometime there are great deals on air/hotels and if you look hard, park tickets.

We don't spend in the parks at all, we packed everything along, entrance fees are expensive enough.

If you're sticking to Disney parks, then stay in a Disney hotel or a place with a shuttle. Parking is $20 at each park, adds up too.
There are many time shares in Orlando as it's a huge tourist area, there are many deals for suites with full kitchens.

In order to park hop, you need park hopper tickets, when you choose, you either buy, one park per day or hopper tickets.

librarygirl

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 11:54 pm
Rent a villa, especially if you have a large family. For the price of a hotel room, you get a big house with full kitchen and private pool.
You can get good deals by waiting till the last minute. You will need to rent a car, parking is $20 a day.
Park tickets cost much less if you buy more days, so 5 days at Disney will be significantly less than 3 days at Disney, 1 universal, 1 sea world.
You can leave and come back the same day to the same park, keep your parking receipt. You can pay extra to "park hop"; switch to a different park the same day.
There are kosher meals available without advance notice in 1 location at each disney park. It can take a while to heat up though, go order a half hour in advance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics