Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How do you dress a baby?

Seraph

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 12:38 pm
How do you dress a baby in different weather conditions?

For example, now its in the 90's during the day, 70's and windy at night.

Do I just put on a short sleeve undershirt that snaps under the tushy like my friend does? Or is that too little for this weather?

Do I put on one of those, with pants on it?
One of those, but long sleeves, with pants on it?
One of those, with pants and a shirt (or a one piece outfit) over it?

Help me please.

How about in the winter?

(No, I didn't have the baby yet. I just realized I have NO clue how to dress a baby...)

The first couple of days of life, does the baby have to be warmer?
So if its in the 90s (or even 80s) when I bring the baby home from the hospital, what type of clothes should I put on?

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 12:40 pm
it definitely depends how old the baby is. my son is turning one next week and these days I'll take him out in just a onesie and barefoot if its hot, last year, I wouldnt let him out without an undershirt, stretchie, hat and blanket!

greentiger

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 12:54 pm
In this weather you can probably put him in just a strechie with no undershirt underneath, but once the weather starts getting a bit more normal I'd add the undershirt. Don't worry about it, you'll get a feel for it, it's not too hard to tell when a baby is cold.

Nicole

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 12:58 pm
For a newborn, I'd say put on one additional layer to what you need. If you're BOILING, just a stretchie and a hat is probably enough. If you're comfy, add a recieving blanket, etc. It's important not to overdress a baby as it's been linked to SIDS, lo aleinu.

malkie

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 12:58 pm
The rule of thumb for a baby is one more layer than you are wearing. So if you are wearing a thin top and bottom, just add an undershirt for you baby.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 2:04 pm
malkie wrote:
The rule of thumb for a baby is one more layer than you are wearing. So if you are wearing a thin top and bottom, just add an undershirt for you baby.

a thin top and bottom adn undershirt for the baby? sounds like a bit much. after all, I'm only wearing a thin top and bottom bec I can't walk around in a bathing suit. but my baby could (well, at least a onesie).

YALT

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 2:12 pm
you also have to see how your baby's body temperature is.
I brought home DS from the hospital in the snow. He wore an undershirt, stretchie, pair of socks, snowsuit (that was too big and very loose!), and hat. By the time we got home, he was all wet from sweat. My mother told me we definitely overdressed him.
Until today (19 mos. later) half his undershirts had been worn once (if at all.) I barely ever put an undershirt on him. But the one day you don't own any in his size - guaranteed it'll be freezing!!!!!!!
So now I buy in every size - just to be sure...

MrsLeo

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 4:50 pm
The pediatrician told me that the best temp for a newborn in 76 degrees. If its around 80 then baby doesnt have to wear anything so the least amount. If its in the 70's then one layer is fine. And if its lower than that then more layers.
Its a lot worse to over heat a baby than for baby to be cold. If a baby is cold he/she will cry. If they are too hot they WILL NOT cry so its very easy to hurt a baby like that without noticing. My baby is 3 months old and she never wore two layers. I just made sure to dress her in a long sleeves, long pants, socks and hat when she was in an air conditioned room. Obviously if I was cold then I would cover her more. But in general, a baby will cry if he/she is cold.

greeneyes

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 4:55 pm
The rule about 1 more layer than you would wear yourself is what I was told as well. Trust your judgment though, if the baby is too hot he'll feel sweaty, if it he's too cold, his skin will feel very cold. Another trick I was told was to feel the tip of the baby's nose. If it feels cold, he needs to be dressed warmer.

(During the first few weeks after my baby was born, I was constantly worried about this, and I'd change her clothes so many times each day lol. Like if I turned on the AC, I'd put on a stretchie, and then if I shut it off I'd change her into a onsie... and I'd constantly ask dh - do you think she's too hot? too cold? Now that she's 10 weeks I've learned to trust myself a bit more Very Happy )

shabri

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 4:55 pm
My Dr. (here is Israel) told me whatever I am feeling, the baby is feeling. I read that the way to tell a baby's temp is not by their extremitites (ie hands and feet) but rather by their stomach or neck. I also read that its much much worse for a baby to be overheated than cold. So when all of the helpful Israeli women come over to me and feel my 11 week old's feet and tell me how cold she is, I just smile and say thanks.

Practically, in this heat I dress my daughter in a onesie or shorts and a t-shirt. Sometimes, it is cool at night and then I add either pants or a jacket if we are going out. Most nights she sleeps in a sleeper but we have AC and fans on (since we are so hot) and she is a bit cooler form her bath.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 5:24 pm
Our doctor says you have to be careful with dressing them/ heating in the winter until 5 kg weight. After that you can dress them in what you'd be comfortable wearing.

They say in Israel that for the first six weeks they should always wear long clothes (say a cotton overall) even if it's boiling hot.

After that you can dress them in short clothes, or just a diaper...
Like people have mentioned, here you have to be more careful about overheating than underdressing.

momof2

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 8:14 pm
I didn't read the other answers to your post, but what my pediatrician always told me was to dress them how you feel you need to be dressed yourself. If its hot outside and youre hot, than your baby is prob hot to. so dont overdress your baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics