Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashering hot plate for pesach

cooksallday

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 11:19 pm
Has it been done safely before by any of you? I have a hot plate is love to designate for pesach and not have to shell out 100 dollars for another one right now. Any ideas?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 11:52 pm
The hot plate has 1 setting and doesn't get hot enough to run for kashering.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:01 am
Do you put food directly on the hot plate? I don’t, so I was told to clean it well and cover it with foil. No need to kasher something that food doesn’t directly touch

cooksallday

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 6:14 am
quote="tichellady"]Do you put food directly on the hot plate? I don’t, so I was told to clean it well and cover it with foil. No need to kasher something that food doesn’t directly touch[/quote]

Thank you, I guess I'm just nervous about leaving it on for 2 days and hAving tin foil on the whole time. How many layers of tin foil do you put?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 7:10 am
cooksallday wrote:
quote="tichellady"]Do you put food directly on the hot plate? I don’t, so I was told to clean it well and cover it with foil. No need to kasher something that food doesn’t directly touch

Thank you, I guess I'm just nervous about leaving it on for 2 days and hAving tin foil on the whole time. How many layers of tin foil do you put?[/quote]
You can't leave it on for 2 whole days. It's very dangerous.
Use a time and have it set to go on and off foe the 2 meals that happen each day.

animeme

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 7:31 am
Also, please check if it is safe to cover it fully in foil. It may not be.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 8:25 am
tichellady wrote:
Do you put food directly on the hot plate? I don’t, so I was told to clean it well and cover it with foil. No need to kasher something that food doesn’t directly touch

I don't put food directly on my hot plate, but food does spill and get on it, which is why I don't feel comfortable using a hot plate that I've used during the year on Pesach.

I used to have a Pesach hot plate and a year-round hot plate. And I wound up by mistake using the Pesach hot plate one regular non-Pesach Shabbat. So now I don't have a Pesach hot plate. Grrr! I'll have to shell out $100+ for another hot plate this Pesach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen