Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Obese, making simcha

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 5:48 am
I have zero, maybe even below zero fashion sense. I'm very overweight and making our first simcha.
Can someone give me ideas of styles or even a link to a dress that might work? I found some lower-end dresses with mathcing short jacket. Since they're cheaper, if I order two dresses, could a dress maker use the fabric of the second to enlarge the first dress?

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 5:52 am
amother wrote:
I have zero, maybe even below zero fashion sense. I'm very overweight and making our first simcha.
Can someone give me ideas of styles or even a link to a dress that might work? I found some lower-end dresses with mathcing short jacket. Since they're cheaper, if I order two dresses, could a dress maker use the fabric of the second to enlarge the first dress?

You might be better off with nicer fabric instead of constructing a dress out of 2. The seamstress becomes expensive. When I did this, the price I was originally quoted was tripled at the end.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 5:54 am
I'm not skinny and the style that looks best on me are A-line dress with a short jacket. Or A-line skirt with short top. Good luck!

simba

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 5:57 am
I have a beautiful black 2 peice I can lend you. What kind of Simcha, do you live on the east coast? I think it is a 2X but it is very generous cut.
PM me if you are interested.
Otherwise you can look at Nordstrom site. They have a good selection of dresses. Really depends on your height and how you can carry it.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 5:58 am
It also depends on your height. I'm tall and overweight and I look much better in long tops and long jackets that go past my hips.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 6:12 am
It depends on your build. Some of us are big on top and some of us have big bottoms. If you have a big bottom a short top is awful.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 6:18 am
I'm short and have a large bottom Crying Crying

Is the consensus just get one made? ( I'm in Israel)

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 8:34 am
amother wrote:

You could do separates rather than a dress. Get a long black skirt in a dressy material and get a jacket in silver and black and shoes that are black with some silver trim.

You probably will need alterations.

Dresses are very limiting because if your next simcha is at a different time of year or your shape changes, it is easier to change either the top or the skirt if you chose separates.

Also, dresses need tons of alterations whereas the skirt may just need shortening and the jacket sleeves may need shortening.

grace413

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 8:41 am
I have some outfits to lend that might be suitable.

Feel free to pm me.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 8:49 am
amother wrote:

You're absolutely better off having a dress made than cobbling together a dress from pieces of two other dresses. The seams and lines will conform to you and your shape, not that of the smaller woman the dress was made for.

A well-fitting dress will make you look gorgeous.

Expecially if you're having it made, check plus sized websites such as Eloquii, Lane Bryant, Kiyonna, Anna Scholz, even Neiman Marcus, for a flattering cut.

And mazel tov on your simcha

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 8:54 am
I am in the US, but I bought a plus size gown from a department store. I had it cut to knee length and used the bottom material to build up the neckline and sleeves. It came out very nice and not that expensive.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 9:35 am
I don’t know if you have any way to get things shipped from the USA-

I have some friends who are obese and did very well at Dress Barn. The clothing is not expensive and they cater to large sizes. My friends have worn things from Dress Barn to their sons bar mitzvah, daughters Sheva brochos

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 9:48 am
https://www.junebridals.com/be......html

This site has modest gowns in all sizes for a reasonable price. You may have to fill in necklines or add to sleeves. Take a look at what they have because each style is in a variety of colors and and the sizes are through 26W.

Something like this would camouflage a bigger figure:

https://www.junebridals.com/el......html

You would have to put a shell under it (no slight intended to those who consider it tznius as it is).

Look under mother of the bride, modest gowns. You can always shorten if it is a bar mitzvah dress.

This is what they say about the shipping to Israel:

All our dresses will be shipped out from China to worldwide.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 9:53 am
if you are in israel definitely get one made. that's very normal here. go to the seamstress to measure you before and she can help you with ideas of which material will make you look the best and even a design that is flattering. I have done this several times and have came out with nice dresses..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics