Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Do you know schools Haor Beacon, Yaldeinu, or...?

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:36 pm
Deeply grateful if anyone with personal knowledge from either working there, sending your child there, or having considered sending a child there can share some information.

I have a lot of questions and would most prefer if you can provide username (for PM) or contact info to discuss privately, but the main idea of my inquiry is to find out if either of these would be an appropriate placement for a child who is very high functioning, very high academic/intelligence level, but needs a small class, gentle yet structured environment, and significant support in the social/emotional/behavioral area.

If you know another school that fits this description, please share. Interested in NY area schools for right now, and other areas in US and Israel for future reference.

Thank you.

nursemomma

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:18 pm
I have some info on Yaldeinu. Pm me

TobZy77

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:57 pm
You can pm me too.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 10:17 pm
THanks, I am PMing you now.

Does anyone know if Haohr Beacon is for both girls and boys? I could not find anything about them online but the one thing I did see made this unclear.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 10:27 pm
haor beacon is an only boys school

they have a website, which is not fully developed but there is some stuff there

haorbeacon.com

it is for boys who may/may not have learning disabilities but all have some sort of behavior/social/emotional disability

academics are very individualized so children are not help back because other children in their class are on different levels,

they break into small groups for core subjects like reading, math, kriah, chumash

behavior modification and social skills training are a hug component as well

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 10:31 pm
Oh well, not a boy, I guess the social worker who told me about them wasn't really familiar. Unless she said/meant a different school and I am mixed up. Whatever. I guess that narrows things down.

Is there any other school that provides a high level of social/emotional/behavioral support while being able to challenge a child academically? (and even with an individualized program, I think it is a big benefit to have other kids on the same wavelength as well. So I'm not satisfied if all the kids are slow learners and my kid is pulled out for higher academics, I want her to be with kids she can relate to)

sbs

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 10:35 pm
there used to be a girls school of beacon as well, maybe that's why the social worker mentioned it, but not anymore

and kids aren't pulled out individually,

there could be 4-5 kids in a class with no learning issues and 2-3 with,

so there might be 2-3 reading or math groups (like centers) going on simultaneously on different levels

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 10:38 pm
Are you serious? http://www.yaldeinu.net/workshop.html
LOL. I guess I will have to check out the place in person.
I see they are geared to ASD, anyone know how high functioning they go?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:43 pm
Hi OP. My daughter seems similar to yours. Which school did you end up sending her to? Would appreciate any other input from others as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics