Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Kokosh cake recipe question

Bluesky 1

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 4:25 pm
I found a recipe called"roizys kokosh cake"

it says to put in margarine and oil in the cake recipe. does it make sense?

did anyone make this recipe? can you please help me. I want to make a really good one and it sounds yum. I wanna make dh happy.

http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....id=23

please check this out and tell me if I am wrong. has anyone made this?

Bluesky 1

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 4:41 pm
bump. anyone has advice?

shyshira

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 9:01 pm
The margarine and oil are used at different times.
The margarine is used to make the dough, the oil is used for the filling to stick to the dough. Seems reasonable.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 9:27 pm
shyshira wrote:
The margarine and oil are used at different times.
The margarine is used to make the dough, the oil is used for the filling to stick to the dough. Seems reasonable.

I actually think it's referring to oil in the dough in addition to oil for the filling to stick.
It probably is a very moist dough and it does make sense. I've seen other recipes where Margarine and oil were both in it. I'd give it a go.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 9:33 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I actually think it's referring to oil in the dough in addition to oil for the filling to stick.
It probably is a very moist dough and it does make sense. I've seen other recipes where Margarine and oil were both in it. I'd give it a go.

I think so too.

shyshira

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 9:33 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

You are right... I read it too quickly :-)

I just looked at another kokosh recipe - same thing. a mix of liquid at room temp and solid at room temp fats..

cbsp

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 9:35 pm
Bluesky 1 wrote:
I found a recipe called"roizys kokosh cake"

it says to put in margarine and oil in the cake recipe. does it make sense?

did anyone make this recipe? can you please help me. I want to make a really good one and it sounds yum. I wanna make dh happy.

http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....id=23

please check this out and tell me if I am wrong. has anyone made this?

Yes, many times. Both margarine and oil in the dough. Additional oil is used before spreading the filling (when I make it I smear the dough with raspberry jam instead of the oil).

The only comment I've written on my recipe (from the original Binah article) is that you really need to let it mix the full 7 minutes before deciding to add more flour.

Full disclosure: this used to be the kokosh cake recipe and technique I always used until I switched to a different one (also from Binah, called "5 star kokosh cake").

Bluesky 1

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 2:43 pm
thanks to all for your responses. I ended up getting the binah magazine this week and voila there was a recipe there wiith dry yeast. so much easier then to have to go get fresh.

so I will first make the binah one. and then try this one at another point. thanks to you all!

cbsp

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 2:49 pm
Bluesky 1 wrote:
thanks to all for your responses. I ended up getting the binah magazine this week and voila there was a recipe there wiith dry yeast. so much easier then to have to go get fresh.

so I will first make the binah one. and then try this one at another point. thanks to you all!

Oh, that's funny. I always convert fresh to dry. In this case, it would be 1oz dry yeast.

Bluesky 1

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 4:30 pm
cbsp, what recipe are you referring to???? im confused

cbsp

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 4:50 pm
Bluesky 1 wrote:
cbsp, what recipe are you referring to???? im confused

Sorry, I wasn't clear, and after I posted I didn't have time to edit.

I'm referring to the Roizy's kokosh cake. I use 1oz dry yeast when I make it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 5:04 pm
For 3 oz fresh yeast in the roizy recipe, use 6 3/4 teaspoons dry yeast, or 3 packets.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins