Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Playing with opposite gender?

nicole81

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 11:18 am
This year they split dd's preschool into 2 classes and she's with the older kids. The other girls in her school are in the younger class, and she's the only girl in the class, with about 5 or 6 boys. Do you think it matters at this age that she's the only girl? Or would a 2.5 year old be happier playing with other little girls, too?

FWIW, she's only a few months older than most of the kids in the younger room, so it's not a huge difference.

BennysMommy

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 11:32 am
I think it would be beneficial if she was with at least 1 or 2 other girls. Of course she's not going to only play with the girls but some girls do tend to play differently. She should be exposed to both types of playing and learning.

nicole81

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 11:39 am
all the kids eat snack and lunch together and play for 10 minutes after lunch. do you think this is enough socialization?

I would rather her be with other girls but I don't want to cause a problem if it's not that big of a deal...

mumoo

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 11:46 am
You don't have to make a big deal. Ask for your daughter to be in the room with other girls. There is a difference in the way boys and girls play. It doesn't matter what they are playing, dolls, trucks, whatever- girls are more social beings and can afford your dd opportunities to practice these skills more than if she played exclusively with boys.

As a former nursery teacher, I saw that rooms where the boys were in the majority were vastly different in temperament than when the class has more girls or is evenly split.

Playdates and neighborhood playing with boys are also good experiences, but daily no-girls is not ideal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics