Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I eat vlchf/p since May 2017. Ask me anything!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:19 am
simba wrote:
Hi Andrea, I also lost 70 pounds on this diet. Love it!! I actually gained some back over my pregnancy and am restarting it now. Wish me luck! So add to get back on track. My only cheat is a Splenda in my coffee and two squares of 72% chocolate daily to go with that coffee. It works a charm!

Welcome back! And Mazal Tov!

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:45 am
My husband is on keto and loving it! Here’s a sample menu. His breakfast and lunch is the same every day but dinner varies
Breakfast: full fat plain yogurt with walnuts, chia seeds, shredded coconut t and poppy seeds mixed in
Lunch: 3 boiled eggs and a whole avocado
He drinks chamomile tea with some heavy cream
He snacks on walnuts and sliced Muenster cheese
Dinner: either salmon and veggies, meatballs and salad, chicken with tehina and salad, chicken soup etc
He also makes sure to get some extra salt, as that is important in this kind of diet
He drinks lots of water
His blood work has come back amazing since he started

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 9:31 am
Catering a 95 th birthday party today and nothing I can eat on the menu so I just had scrambled eggs in butter. I used liquid egg and didn’t measure but I decided not to fast because when I do get hungry I’m not in an appropriate place to eat later.

baby12x

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 9:34 am
What is your blood pressure like? Has it gone up since you started this diet?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 9:35 am
baby12x wrote:
What is your blood pressure like? Has it gone up since you started this diet?

It’s, and I quote... pristine

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 9:36 am
Also, over shabbat I read the obesity code by Jason fung. Excellent book.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 9:50 am
What do you eat when you feel like having a snack?

Considering that real food takes time to prepare, I struggle with snack foods on the run.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 9:58 am
andrea levy wrote:
I have my own very specific medical issues that are eye related. So my rav heard my concerns and agreed. BUT I never, ever cheat. Period. So not eating matzah and drinking wine wasn’t hypocritical

Okay so I guess I have a whole year to figure this out for myself. I have no diagnosed health problems ("not feeling well" is hard to quantify) so I don't know if I could get a heter for pesach. But leaving that alone for now... How do I deal with Shabbos? I realized that I always feel worse after shabbos and takes me a few days to get back on track. That's just from a bit of gf challah or matzah (admittedly eaten at night when I'm not necessarily hungry). It messes with me somehow and then I eat more food I otherwise wouldn't, etc. So this shabbos I decided I'm just not. Friday night meal I ate just chicken soup (broth with a bit of zuchinni and cauliflower in it). It was literally my best shabbos in months, normally I hate shabbos.

But what are the halachic ramifications of this? Can't really just skip it?

Also, I've been encouraging my husband to join me in keto... But SOMEBODY's got to make kiddush? Any insight/info on this? Is there a way to make more keto-friendly challah (tons of fiber)?

Thanks!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 10:01 am
amother wrote:
What do you eat when you feel like having a snack?

Considering that real food takes time to prepare, I struggle with snack foods on the run.

So, snacking is not the best idea health wise. I’d eat more at meals if you are starting now, so you don’t have to lose any bad habits! Eat bigger meals!

Things I eat on the run... cream cheeese, hard cheese, nuts, coffee with heavy cream, cooked chicken that I pre make and leave in fridge, burgers again pre made, boiled eggs or egg salad prepare, tuna salad pre made, chicken salad pre made. I make mashed broccoli and cauliflower. We eat coleslaw and green beans. Deli meat. Bone broth, chicken and beef. Honestly, we aren’t fussy anymore. Food became fuel. So if it fits in the plan, we will eat it

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
Okay so I guess I have a whole year to figure this out for myself. I have no diagnosed health problems ("not feeling well" is hard to quantify) so I don't know if I could get a heter for pesach. But leaving that alone for now... How do I deal with Shabbos? I realized that I always feel worse after shabbos and takes me a few days to get back on track. That's just from a bit of gf challah or matzah (admittedly eaten at night when I'm not necessarily hungry). It messes with me somehow and then I eat more food I otherwise wouldn't, etc. So this shabbos I decided I'm just not. Friday night meal I ate just chicken soup (broth with a bit of zuchinni and cauliflower in it). It was literally my best shabbos in months, normally I hate shabbos.

But what are the halachic ramifications of this? Can't really just skip it?

Also, I've been encouraging my husband to join me in keto... But SOMEBODY's got to make kiddush? Any insight/info on this? Is there a way to make more keto-friendly challah (tons of fiber)?

Thanks!

I know a lot of people who don’t bench, my son included. He eats literally a kezayit.

Red wine that is dry is not problematic for low carb.

We use matzah for hamotzi as often as possible. Or bagels. It’s easy to limit how much you eat of it when it isn’t exciting.

Also, only oat gf challah is hamotzi, so bear in mind that your gf challah may not be hamotzi anyways. We made a low carb challah using lots of gluten but it had very unpleasant effects on us so we stoped using it.

toysrus

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 10:08 am
Wow!!Good for u...how long did it take you to lose the 75lbs?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 10:12 am
toysrus wrote:
Wow!!Good for u...how long did it take you to lose the 75lbs?

I was five two and weighed 315. I lost fifty fast. Basically three months. Since then (sept.) It’s slow and fairly steady. I’m in no rush. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. I could probably lose another 130 pounds.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 10:14 am
andrea levy wrote:
I know a lot of people who don’t bench, my son included. He eats literally a kezayit.

Red wine that is dry is not problematic for low carb.

We use matzah for hamotzi as often as possible. Or bagels. It’s easy to limit how much you eat of it when it isn’t exciting.

Also, only oat gf challah is hamotzi, so bear in mind that your gf challah may not be hamotzi anyways. We made a low carb challah using lots of gluten but it had very unpleasant effects on us so we stoped using it.

I make my own gf challah using mostly oat flour (bit of rice flour too) so it's hamotzi, and right now have oat matzah left from pesach but using that instead of challah last week didn't seem to help... Been gf for more than 10 years so I know the ins and outs of that. Can you tell me more about making low-carb challah?

What kind of unpleasant effects did yours have on you?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
I make my own gf challah using mostly oat flour (bit of rice flour too) so it's hamotzi, and right now have oat matzah left from pesach but using that instead of challah last week didn't seem to help... Been gf for more than 10 years so I know the ins and outs of that. Can you tell me more about making low-carb challah?

What kind of unpleasant effects did yours have on you?

Sluggish digestion, bloating.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 11:04 am
Thanks so much for posting! So encouraging, inspiring, and helpful.

So I've been told by nutritionists that dairy isn't good for thyroid or inflammation. I was doing great on an eating plan like that which you describe however once I cut dairy (which was very satisfying for me) I started gaining and gaining Sad

Also, was told to cut nuts -- same issue as above.

What do you think? (don't worry you're not responsible and just want your input!)

thanks

ps good for you and wishing you and everyone much continued hatzlocha and health

smss

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 11:34 am
Re challah, I use Rorie's low carb oat dough mix (can get on Amazon) but I cut the honey to 1 tsp so it's only 6 net carbs per k'zayis sized roll. I find this easy to fit into under 20 carbs a day.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:01 pm
smss wrote:
Re challah, I use Rorie's low carb oat dough mix (can get on Amazon) but I cut the honey to 1 tsp so it's only 6 net carbs per k'zayis sized roll. I find this easy to fit into under 20 carbs a day.

Thanks so much! Will look this up.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:05 pm
What makes this low carb? Can you please share the recipe you are using? Thanks!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks so much for posting! So encouraging, inspiring, and helpful.

So I've been told by nutritionists that dairy isn't good for thyroid or inflammation. I was doing great on an eating plan like that which you describe however once I cut dairy (which was very satisfying for me) I started gaining and gaining Sad

Also, was told to cut nuts -- same issue as above.

What do you think? (don't worry you're not responsible and just want your input!)

thanks

ps good for you and wishing you and everyone much continued hatzlocha and health

So weird you started gaining after cutting those!?! Could it be a coincidence? Most people use nuts and dairy as snacks so when they cut it they lose. I’m baffled! Did you replace them with higher carb food?

Thank you so much for your good wishes!

smss

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:11 pm
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079.....6AH22

Use 1 tsp honey instead of 1/4 cup. If I did the math right, this should cut out 3 carbs per roll, making them 6 net carbs instead of 9. I also like them better this way actually!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise