Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Why are easter and pesach not closer together?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 11:43 am
I work in charter school and catholic schools. I am making my calendar for next year.

The catholic schools have off April 19-26 because easter is April 21.

Pesach is March 30-April 7.

Why is there a 3 week difference? Did it used to always be the same week? Sometimes it would get "off schedule" with a 2nd adar, but usually they were close.

Why is it so off this year? I don't want off 2 weeks after pesach ends. I want to be off before or during pesach.

I'm confused.

TIA!

bookie

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 11:45 am
I just googled and this is when Pesach is next year. Passover 2019 will begin in the evening of
Friday, April 19
and ends in the evening of
Saturday, April 27
The dates you gave were pesach this past year.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 11:51 am
Phew. I googled 2018. How stressed I am right now getting my end of year stuff together at work! My next question is why my non-catholic schools have SB at the end of March or beginning of April! But, none of you can answer that! Maybe Eliyahu Hanavi will come cook my pesach food for me!

chicco

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:14 pm
Because then there wouldn't be enough eggs to go around.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:22 pm
chicco wrote:

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:31 pm
We have a leap year (Hebrew calendar) they do not. Easter is on the lunar calendar so once every few years Easter is closer to Purim
Than pesach

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
I work in charter school and catholic schools. I am making my calendar for next year.

The catholic schools have off April 19-26 because easter is April 21.

Pesach is March 30-April 7.

Why is there a 3 week difference? Did it used to always be the same week? Sometimes it would get "off schedule" with a 2nd adar, but usually they were close.

Why is it so off this year? I don't want off 2 weeks after pesach ends. I want to be off before or during pesach.

I'm confused.

TIA!

I just checked. I think you got the dates wrong. Pesach is April 19. The above dates you wrote were 2018

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:42 pm
They're at different times because they're different holidays, and use different calendars to calculate. Just like sometimes Chanukah is in early December, or even late November, and other times its around Xmas.

As to cooking, most of us manage to prepare Pesach without extra time off. You'll be fine.

(BTW, Pesach is very late next year. Not sure where your dates come from.)

miami85

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:54 pm
Lucky you, I'm going to be working for a school district that has spring break Apr 1-5 which is neither Easter nor Pesach.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:
They're at different times because they're different holidays, and use different calendars to calculate. Just like sometimes Chanukah is in early December, or even late November, and other times its around Xmas.

As to cooking, most of us manage to prepare Pesach without extra time off. You'll be fine.

(BTW, Pesach is very late next year. Not sure where your dates come from.)

I made a mistake in the dates, as mentioned above.

I didn't ask how cook.

Easter is based on Passover. Not separate calendars. Im not getting into dogma in this thread, but that is basic knowledge.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:57 pm
miami85 wrote:
Lucky you, I'm going to be working for a school district that has spring break Apr 1-5 which is neither Easter nor Pesach.

No, I work in several places. The non catholic schools have either March 25-29 or the week after. Also nowhere near pesach. I actually spend more time in those schools. We will all be ok.

Thank you!

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:58 pm
chicco wrote:

Awesome. Best reply I have seen all year.

bsy

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 1:03 pm
The charter school I'm in has spring break March 5 to 9. For no reason other than to be secular.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:

I didn't ask how cook.

Easter is based on Passover. Not separate calendars. Im not getting into dogma in this thread, but that is basic knowledge.

Easter is not based on pesach. It's based on the lunar calendar. Pesach is too but we have a leap year with 2 Adars sometimes, the secular calendar does not

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:

I didn't ask how cook.

Yes the holidays are connected. No that does not mean they both fall on the same day (as we know).

Easter takes place on the first Sunday after the first full moon after March 21st.

Passover starts on the night of the full moon in Nissan.

So usually they are about the same time, but sometimes Nissan starts in April, so the two holidays are weeks apart. See 2024.

For more details:

https://www.theguardian.com/no......html

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:

I didn't ask how cook.

Easter isn't based on Passover, although some (certainly not all) believe that the last supper was a seder. At least one Gospel places Passover after Je-zus' death.

The Eastern Orthodox Church calculates when they think Passover should be, and then Easter based on that. But they don't follow our calendar. Other churches use the first Sunday after the full Moon that occurs on or just after the vernal equinox. Again, not our calendar.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 1:57 pm
I only recall once in the last 20 years (2 or 3 years ago) that pesach and easter did not coincide. It is extremely unusual.

In French Pesach is called le Paque Juive (the Jewish Easter)!

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 5:30 am
Here is more information on how different churches set the date than anyone needs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computus
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics