Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Help me feed my picky and allergic toddler
1  2  Next

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:47 pm
DD is 18 months and still nursing pretty frequently because she either can't or won't eat most foods.

Her allergies are:
Wheat (includes spelt, barley and rye)
Egg
Soy
Milk
Peanut
Tree nut
Fish
Beef
Corn
Sunflower
Sesame
Flax
Poppy seed
Peas
Beans except Green beans and lima beans
Carrots
Apple
Celery
Pear
Mango
Pineapple
Strawberry
Cranberry
Plum/prune
Eggplant

Before you ask, Yes these are all IgE allergies confirmed with skin testing and RAST. There's an EOE component also.

I'm at my wits end with feeding her (and myself). I eat salads with lots of green leafy veggies but she can't chew them yet. She doesn't like chicken unless it just came out of the oven and refuses turkey altogether. She chews on fruit and spits it out. Ditto raw veggies like tomatoes and cucumbers. No rice cakes. White rice sometimes. Today she ate a banana for breakfast, half an avocado for lunch (she spat out the rest), and baked potato for dinner. I was snack.

What oh what can I feed this child????

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:56 pm
Does she like smoothies? Use a milk base that she can have, and put in banana and whatever other fruits she can have. Add some greens like spinach. Add hemp seeds for an extra nutritional boost.

What about soups? So many varieties, and you can blend them and include chicken or turkey.

ETA did you test for individual tree nuts? It would be helpful if there's one variety she can have. They make butter out of almost any nut.

sotired3

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 10:59 pm
Oatmeal, chicken or turkey burgers, vegetable soup, egg free potato kugel

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 11:04 pm
coconut milk yogurt
blueberry muffins or pancakes made with oat, coconut, tapioca flours and flax or chia eggs
oatmeal
avocado pudding

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 11:13 pm
You mention fish. Is this fresh-water or ocean / salt water fish? Usually fish needs to be tested individually (in my experience).

animeme

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 11:17 pm
Can you work with a nutritionist? And possibly a feeding therapist. She may have textural issues.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 11:59 pm
amother wrote:
Does she like smoothies? Use a milk base that she can have, and put in banana and whatever other fruits she can have. Add some greens like spinach. Add hemp seeds for an extra nutritional boost.

What about soups? So many varieties, and you can blend them and include chicken or turkey.

ETA did you test for individual tree nuts? It would be helpful if there's one variety she can have. They make butter out of almost any nut.

I never tried smoothies. That'said a great idea. Thanks! Almost all the milk substitutes have sunflower, but I could probably use canned coconut milk as a base. I'm going to try a banana smoothie tomorrow. Thanks!

ETA- we tested for every nut. They were all positive.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 12:02 am
sotired3 wrote:
Oatmeal, chicken or turkey burgers, vegetable soup, egg free potato kugel

She hates oatmeal and I can't get ground chicken or turkey where I live, but can you please share a recipe for egg free potato kugel? That sounds like something she would eat!

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 12:05 am
amother wrote:
coconut milk yogurt
blueberry muffins or pancakes made with oat, coconut, tapioca flours and flax or chia eggs
oatmeal
avocado pudding

What is coconut milk yogurt? Do I make that or buy it? Same question for avocado pudding.

She's allergic to flax, but what is a chia egg?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 12:07 am
amother wrote:
I never tried smoothies. That'said a great idea. Thanks! Almost all the milk substitutes have sunflower, but I could probably use canned coconut milk as a base. I'm going to try a banana smoothie tomorrow. Thanks!

ETA- we tested for every nut. They were all positive.

Check this out, I think it may work. The unsweetened one is pretty nutritious, as milks go. https://thrivemarket.com/p/pac.....pping

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 12:08 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
You mention fish. Is this fresh-water or ocean / salt water fish? Usually fish needs to be tested individually (in my experience).

Yeah, most kosher fish. Salmon, tuna, flounder, tilapia, mackerel, herring and sardines. She's not allergic to swordfish or any shellfish though. What

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 12:13 am
animeme wrote:
Can you work with a nutritionist? And possibly a feeding therapist. She may have textural issues.

The allergist sent me to a nutritionist but she really wasn't helpful. She couldn't wrap her mind around kosher and she handed me a packet of recipes and meal ideas for each allergen, but it was for each separately, not all together, like the egg free ones have flax and the wheat free ones have corn! Not helpful at all! And I paid out of pocket because my insurance didn't cover it. It was very underwhelming.

She totally has textural issues, but I asked my older DS's OT and she said a feeding therapist isn't allowed to work on sensory stuff. I suppose I could push for an evaluation.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 12:15 am
amother wrote:
Check this out, I think it may work. The unsweetened one is pretty nutritious, as milks go. https://thrivemarket.com/p/pac.....pping

Thanks! I'll definitely give it a try!

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 12:29 am
Maybe try giving her Neocate. The usually recommend it for kids with EoE. You can get it coveredby insurance

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 12:41 am
amother wrote:
Maybe try giving her Neocate. The usually recommend it for kids with EoE. You can get it coveredby insurance

Thanks for the suggestion! Neocate has corn syrup solids in it, and she is allergic to corn (Elecare also contains corn). The allergist recommended Allimentum, which doesn't contain corn but is made from pig. DH's Rav discouraged it because nursing was/is going ok. But maybe I'll ask again because that was 10 months ago and now we are both starving.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 1:18 am
Homemade granola with dried fruit (with rice/coconut milk or coconut milk yogurt)
Chicken nuggets with coconut crust
Rice pudding
Brown rice pasta with ketchup
Kale chips
Cauliflower "popcorn"
Sweet and sticky green beans
Stuffed mini peppers
Potato and sweet potato baked fries (with or without ketchup)
Maple roasted sweet potato chunks
Oatmeal banana pancakes with maple syrup
Blended soup with gluten free croutons
Compote made with fruits she can eat

Try putting cooled soups or compote in pouches (like the applesauce pouches) - you can get reusable ones like these: https://express.google.com/u/0.....75035

sotired3

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 1:37 am
amother wrote:
She hates oatmeal and I can't get ground chicken or turkey where I live, but can you please share a recipe for egg free potato kugel? That sounds like something she would eat!

So I’ve never actually made it (ds is allergic to potatoes) but I googled it, a couple of recipes are out there

zgp

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 4:37 am
amother wrote:
The allergist sent me to a nutritionist but she really wasn't helpful. She couldn't wrap her mind around kosher and she handed me a packet of recipes and meal ideas for each allergen, but it was for each separately, not all together, like the egg free ones have flax and the wheat free ones have corn! Not helpful at all! And I paid out of pocket because my insurance didn't cover it. It was very underwhelming.

She totally has textural issues, but I asked my older DS's OT and she said a feeding therapist isn't allowed to work on sensory stuff. I suppose I could push for an evaluation.

If it is helpful to you, I can get hold of the number of a pediatric nutritionist who specializes in babies with allergies at Schneiders chidlrens hospital. She herself is not frum but deals daily with tons of frum patients. I am friendly with her sister so lmk if you want me to get hold of it

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 7:03 am
https://www.ideahacks.com/blue.....bars/

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 7:05 am
Are red lentils ok? How about a cholent/stew with brown rice, lentils, and veggies (cauliflower, peeled zucchini, potato, sweet potato). It should get pretty mushy and baby may like it. You can try adding chicken too, but it may change the texture a bit
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics