Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Do I need to feed guests Motzei Shabbos

flmommy

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 10:33 am
Motzei Shabbos I am always done. All I want to do is clean up and get kids to bed. If I have house guests who I fed Shabbos dinner and lunch to do I need to offer them food motzei Shabbos? I am obligated to provide something warm?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 10:43 am
On long Shabbosim you should at least give Shalosh Seudos, as dinner.
On short Shabbosim, it's ok to just give a melave malka.
If guests are staying over or leaving very late you should be offering dinner.

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 10:55 am
You aren't obligated to feed them Melaveh Malkah unless there are no alternatives to you providing the meal. If you live OOT and there are no dairy restaurants open, then it is a nice thing to provide. You don't owe anyone a warm meal especially if you are wiped.

NovelConcept

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 10:55 am
Yes, you should feed them, but it doesn't have to be anything major.

A cup of soup.
A sandwich.
Scrambled eggs.

Don't run yourself ragged, but do be a mentch.

Guests are usually hungry every few hours but don't feel comfortable asking.
Always be one step ahead with drinks and food.
They will bentch you for it!

simba

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 10:58 am
On long shabbosim I cook with Shalosh Suedas in mind and in the winter Melava malka menu is built into my shabbos shopping and cooking.
In the summer I do not serve food at 10pm but I do offer drinks and leftovers.

My kitchen is always open to my guests.

Editing to add that last night was right before a fast so I did make sure there was food available.

rydys

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 5:02 pm
When hosting guests for whom you are also providing Shabbos meals, you should provide for all meals. Depending when they are coming, that may include a snack before Shabbos so they are not hungry while waiting for the meal.

The Shabbos meals include Friday night, Shabbos Lunch and Shalosh Seudos, which are required to eat on Shabbos, as well as Melaveh Malka which is eaten on Motzei Shabbos. In the winter, SS can be a light meal, (we sometimes do peanut butter and jelly) and make MM a substantial supper. In the summer you can reverse and give a real meal for SS and a light snack for MM.

flmommy

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 5:09 pm
Ugghh good to know, thanks!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 5:11 pm
flmommy wrote:
Ugghh good to know, thanks!

Make something in advance with motzei shabbos in mind. Pasta salad that stays well in the fridge with some protein on it. Leftovers from shabbos are fine too. It can be cold cheese, crackers and fruit.

rydys

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 7:43 pm
I know it can be hard, but put yourself in the place of your guest. You are invited to someone's home for Shabbos. When you get there, your host gives you the two main seudos, but nothing else. What would you do for Shalosh Seudos? In the summer, with a long afternoon, you'd be pretty hungry if your host didn't offer an afternoon snack. Even if you also get Shalosh Seudos, when it comes to Melaveh Malka, your host does not offer anything. It would be very awkward to say "OK, I'm going out for Melaveh Malka. Please make sure to leave the door open for me as I see you are going to bed."

I don't mean to be harsh but try to see it from the other side as well.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 7:55 pm
No.
Just send them home.
As a Shabbat guest I graciously thank our hosts and leave efficiently and quietly and if the kids are hungry we locate a local pizza shop and take a pie home. Seriously Seudat Shlishit IS dinner... right??!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics