Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Where are you from?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:04 pm
[quote="rainbow dash"]Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers let's get together.[/quote
Ok. So how do we do it?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:12 pm
Love Antwerp. I have cousins there, would be my first choice if I had to live abroad. I go there almost yearly. #hoffypower

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:
wow! How'd you end up there? So cool! Did you learn Spanish fluently? Do you live with the Jewish community? Im for. Buenos Aires btw Very Happy

We moved for financial reasons and my husband is from there even though neither his parents were born there. His mother, Uruguay and father, Israel. My husband works for his father, the meat business. I can get by with the spanish I know, but it's very lousy. My kids do of course. I live in Once, but more the outskirts of the jewish community, but only by a few blocks and more are moving in the area.
amother wrote:
Couragious one!

Nah, stupid, more like.

Just like my cousin, except she lives in Brazil! Born and bred in Brooklyn, married a boy from Sao Paulo and then went to live there when it was time for him to help his father out in... the family's meat business!

Wonder if she's on here?

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:23 pm
Born in Brooklyn, moved to Monsey when I was a baby.

Live in Lakewood now.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:25 pm
Grew up in former Soviet Union, now live in NJ.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 5:27 pm
I'm grew up in Washington Heights, NY and I live in Brooklyn, Ny

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 5:31 pm
Midway between where my folks were and where I hope my kids will end up. That’s where I’m from.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 6:12 pm
Toronto

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 6:14 pm
[quote="amother"]
rainbow dash wrote:
Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers let's get together.[/quote
Ok. So how do we do it?

Well if you know who I am and I don't keep it a secret you can either pm me here or on my phone. We can go for coffee by confetti. coffee coffee coffee

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 9:58 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
wow! How'd you end up there? So cool! Did you learn Spanish fluently? Do you live with the Jewish community? Im for. Buenos Aires btw Very Happy

We moved for financial reasons and my husband is from there even though neither his parents were born there. His mother, Uruguay and father, Israel. My husband works for his father, the meat business. I can get by with the spanish I know, but it's very lousy. My kids do of course. I live in Once, but more the outskirts of the jewish community, but only by a few blocks and more are moving in the area.
amother wrote:
Couragious one!

Nah, stupid, more like.

Just like my cousin, except she lives in Brazil! Born and bred in Brooklyn, married a boy from Sao Paulo and then went to live there when it was time for him to help his father out in... the family's meat business!

Wonder if she's on here?

I don't have many cousins and two different countries and languages.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:16 am
Like this thread!
I grew up in Boro Park. Live now in Kensington.
Maybe we can turn this into a poll
Just so we can see how many ppl are from where. This is fascinating

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:42 am
Grew up in brooklyn. Married there, amd lived there fir a few years then moved to kj for 2 years.
Now live in South Blooming Grove. A village in the town of Blooming Grove that is next to town of Monroe where kj is located in..... a 1o minute drive to kj. lol.

My parents were born and lived in Germany and Romania for the first 3-4 years of their lives.
My father then moved with his parents to isreal then antwerp then came to NY for yeshiva.

My mother came straight to NY from Europe.
Her step-father was from Uruguay.

So I guess all over the place..... 3 out if 4 grandparents were chassidish. Mostly belz and satmar before ww2. One not but he was very close to the satmar rebbe post ww2.

I am a first generation american.

clowny

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
From williamsburg. Around 10 years ago to monroe kj. Any shocks?
Any more? Come out.

Kj resident here too.
Hi !!

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 2:14 pm
Grew up in Monsey. Moved to Lakewood last year.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 2:28 pm
Teaneck NJ.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 3:10 pm
Montreal, Quebec. Bonjour to all of us québécois! And I totally love poutine.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
Philly

Homey!!

What part of Philly are you from? I'm from a little tiny corner of the city no one has ever heard of, but that was (in my time), 90% Jewish.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:55 pm
amother wrote:
Homey!!

What part of Philly are you from? I'm from a little tiny corner of the city no one has ever heard of, but that was (in my time), 90% Jewish.

Elkins Park?

I was born in NYC, grew up in the Midwest, went to high school in Lakewood, lived in Monsey, Passaic, Queens, BP, Midwood, and Riverdale as a single. Lived in Deal, NJ and now live in Bala Cynwyd.

My family is Yekke, but my husband’s family cam to America in 1790 from Spain after a few stops en route.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:02 am
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:07 am
amother wrote:
Elkins Park?

I was born in NYC, grew up in the Midwest, went to high school in Lakewood, lived in Monsey, Passaic, Queens, BP, Midwood, and Riverdale as a single. Lived in Deal, NJ and now live in Bala Cynwyd.

My family is Yekke, but my husband’s family cam to America in 1790 from Spain after a few stops en route.

That’s quite a history!

Not Elkins Park, but close enough. Actually the Philadelphia side of Cheltenham Avenue, but I haven’t lived there in a long time. My mom grew up in Feltonville, and my dad in the Mansion. That’s basically The Who what where of Philly Jews.

And MY husband traces his ancestry back to the expulsion of Jews from Spain, but they wound up in Romania until the early 20th century.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics