Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
"Conscious Discipline" anyone?

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:36 am
I wasn't sure whether to put this in parenting or in teacher's room because I'm interested from both angles. I saw a workshop advertised and I'm trying to figure out whether there's really a "chiddush" here. Also trying to figure out if it has value for individual kids/students if it's not going to be implemented by the school or even the whole-classroom teacher. From the website it seems like it's largely based on creating a certain kind of classroom environment and culture, which would make it seem like a poor fit for someone who doesn't have any control over the whole classroom (I work with individual kids and small groups)

I'm not feeling super pumped about this but I really did want to do some PD this summer and haven't seen anything else offered that fits my schedule/location... so I'd like to know if anyone has tried this approach and has an opinion to share.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:30 am
Why don’t you read the book and see what you think...

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 8:20 am
You are correct that the program creates a certain culture. It can be hard to create that yourself especially if your school doesn’t support it.
What you can gain is more of an understanding of why children exhibit certain negative behaviors. That understanding can help you react more appropriately and understandably. You will be given language and tools to help navigate those situations as well.
Most likely it depends on who is presenting the program. I would look for someone who has a proven track record of success with the program. Someone whose classroom is a different place since starting the program.
There are secretaries in my school who wanted to learn the program to help them with their kids at home. If presented properly there isnwjat to gain.

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
Why don’t you read the book and see what you think...

1. Because the workshop is this week and I can't move that fast.
2. Because I have a whole stack of books already that I've barely touched, so while I continue to be ambitious about those, I'm not optimistic enough to add to the stack LOL

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
You are correct that the program creates a certain culture. It can be hard to create that yourself especially if your school doesn’t support it.
What you can gain is more of an understanding of why children exhibit certain negative behaviors. That understanding can help you react more appropriately and understandably. You will be given language and tools to help navigate those situations as well.
Most likely it depends on who is presenting the program. I would look for someone who has a proven track record of success with the program. Someone whose classroom is a different place since starting the program.
There are secretaries in my school who wanted to learn the program to help them with their kids at home. If presented properly there isnwjat to gain.

The person presenting the program is supposed to be a real pro at this. I did ask for her input but I guess she just is a fan of her program in general because I didn't really get much clarity on whether it would be geared to classrooms or what.
I also was wondering if it could help with my kids at home because I feel like I'm losing my momentum there, but it seems this is more focused on emotional stuff (which I suppose is useful for everyone including me) while I feel like most of the yelling I do is because my kids are easily distracted or inattentive. I'm the household that goes "Please put on your shoes... We're leaving in 1 minute and you need shoes on... No I don't want to hear about your dream, I want you to focus on your shoes... are you wearing your shoes yet? I SAID ARE YOU WEARING YOUR SHOES YET? No? Then you better get them on... Here I am putting the shoes in your hands just get them on... SHOES. Why am I yelling? Because you didn't answer, did you even hear me? What do you mean you didn't know - they are IN YOUR HANDS how could you miss that?... OK everyone time to go WAIT WHY ARE YOUR SHOES NOT ON YET? PUT. ON. YOUR. SHOES." So I'm not sure if this is going to help most of my yelling problems but it's not like I never have any other challenges Rolling Eyes

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 4:40 pm
seeker wrote:
The person presenting the program is supposed to be a real pro at this. I did ask for her input but I guess she just is a fan of her program in general because I didn't really get much clarity on whether it would be geared to classrooms or what.
I also was wondering if it could help with my kids at home because I feel like I'm losing my momentum there, but it seems this is more focused on emotional stuff (which I suppose is useful for everyone including me) while I feel like most of the yelling I do is because my kids are easily distracted or inattentive. I'm the household that goes "Please put on your shoes... We're leaving in 1 minute and you need shoes on... No I don't want to hear about your dream, I want you to focus on your shoes... are you wearing your shoes yet? I SAID ARE YOU WEARING YOUR SHOES YET? No? Then you better get them on... Here I am putting the shoes in your hands just get them on... SHOES. Why am I yelling? Because you didn't answer, did you even hear me? What do you mean you didn't know - they are IN YOUR HANDS how could you miss that?... OK everyone time to go WAIT WHY ARE YOUR SHOES NOT ON YET? PUT. ON. YOUR. SHOES." So I'm not sure if this is going to help most of my yelling problems but it's not like I never have any other challenges Rolling Eyes

I’ve had some training in Concious Discipline and can think of plenty of tools I gained from the program which would help me with the shoe scenario you are describing.
TBH the program does talk to me. I don’t know if it talks to everyone but many teachers in my school have gained and others who heard about the program did want in.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 4:52 pm
I am really into the books by Ross Greene and his non profit recommends conscious discipline as a complimentary method so for that reason I would probably do it if offered the opportunity. I found that for parenting my kids ( I dont teach) his method has done amazing things for our family so why not add to it with more things that are similar?

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 6:37 pm
Well, I'm signed up and I'm sure I will at least enjoy because I know the presenter. I'm sure I will learn something new, too. Change my life, well that will be a little more work, but I'll get around to it Wink

Thanks for the feedback, all!

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 6:41 pm
seeker wrote:
1. Because the workshop is this week and I can't move that fast.
2. Because I have a whole stack of books already that I've barely touched, so while I continue to be ambitious about those, I'm not optimistic enough to add to the stack LOL

It’s not very long but I am with you! In middle of so many books right now shock

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 8:53 pm
If you're in middle of them then you're way ahead of me!

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 11:56 pm
What hashgacha pratis! I was just looking into this but wanted to hear from people who actually tried it! Is it as amazing as the website describes? How can I sign up for this workshop?
Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics