Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yesodos high school in lakewood

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 6:06 pm
Anyone know about this school? Hashkafa? Parent body? Education. Please advise. looking for girls high school info to be informed for the upcoming year

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 6:09 pm
Following

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 6:15 pm
For Lakewood standards it’s on more modern side. They are a more open minded school and it seems like a nice school and it seems like the girls are happy there. I don’t have first hand experience with the school?

What type of school are you looking for frumkeit wise?

L K

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 6:23 pm
What do you mean by more modern?

Working parents, non-tznius moms or girls kinda half way off the derech, rl?

lkwdgirl

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 7:57 pm
Looking for a frum school in hashkafa tznuis families who aren’t watching tv and are makpid on their frumkeit.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 8:02 pm
I don’t know exactly I think it’s more mothers who don’t wear stockings and things like that. I don’t know the girls and I don’t want to give inaccurate information. It looks like a nice school. For example all Lakewood girls schools you have to wear your skirts three inches minimum above the ankle and yesodos girls wear it all the way touching the ground. It depends what Haskafa you are coming from.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 8:13 pm
Just to mix things up... Because this is ImaMother Very Happy

Why am I not hearing a thing about Middos, Chesed , or learning...

As long as you have the right hosiery you are good to go,,,

L K

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 8:54 pm
Naturalmom, I'll take the bait.

I imagine if we were in an oot community school with a mix of clothed-legged or bare-legged mothers, it wouldn't be an issue.
It would be easier to instill into your children the conviction that every family does things differently, and it's ok (as long as you do things our way mwahaha).

However, when you live in a place where going around without hosiery usually comes along a host of other behaviors that differ from your hashkafos, placing a solitary kid into a very different environment wouldn't be a good idea at all. Guess if she's gonna be affected by majority, will be interested enough or strong enough to stick to her mother's values etc.

Not a good idea if you ask me...

Signed, a non-yeshivish non-American immigrant bt who chooses her own way, without sticking it in the face of the community at large, for the most part Smile

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:21 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Just to mix things up... Because this is ImaMother Very Happy

Why am I not hearing a thing about Middos, Chesed , or learning...

As long as you have the right hosiery you are good to go,,,

Because those things are a given. A Jewish high school that doesn't teach about middos and Chessed, (not sure what you mean by learning - do you mean the academic level?) is not a Jewish high school.

I know the people who run Yesodos, and they put their all into the school. It's a warm, wholesome place where they give the girls alot of personal attention - possible, because it's small.

DD told me that when BK girls once visited Yesodos (part of their annual Purim Shtick) the girls were warmly welcomed, and the principal herself joined in the Ruach and dancing.

That being said, at present it's a school that hasn't been around long, has changed administrative hands since it's inception, so it's not so many people's first choice school.

Just saying what it is, since OP is asking.

L K

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:32 am
So what kind of people (parents, kids) go there?

Any particular crowd?

Simple1

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:35 am
I know of a girl from a very yeshivish family who went there because she needed something different than her siblings - she did not want to be yeshivish. She seems to have done very well there.

L K

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:49 am
Simple1 wrote:
I know of a girl from a very yeshivish family who went there because she needed something different than her siblings - she did not want to be yeshivish. She seems to have done very well there.

So in which ways is this school not yeshivish?

I'm trying to understand, as we are not yeshivish but pretty frum. For ex, we wouldn't consider sending to Bais Shaindel or Bais Yaakov, but as we are currently sending to regular mixed frum elementary schools, are thinking about Bais Kaila.

L K

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:52 am
Basically, I think I figured out how to put it.

There are people who don't want to be yeshivish in social, professional or economic ways iykwim, but want to be very frum.

Then there are some who say the don't want to be yeshivish and really mean that they don't want to be very frum, be it in their choices of clothing, entertainment, inter-gender relationships etc.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:53 am
L K wrote:
So what kind of people (parents, kids) go there?

Any particular crowd?

I don't think it's any particular crowd. For the most part, it's anyone whom the other schools in town didn't work out for them, for whatever reason

ETA maybe by now it's a space issue - that they are getting girls who could've gone to other schools, but there simply wasn't room? I'm not sure.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:56 am
L K wrote:
Basically, I think I figured out how to put it.

There are people who don't want to be yeshivish in social, professional or economic ways iykwim, but want to be very frum.

Then there are some who say the don't want to be yeshivish and really mean that they don't want to be very frum, be it in their choices of clothing, entertainment, inter-gender relationships etc.

I like your description of not yeshivish. I think you categorize it well. Like, I grew up in a JPF family. We were not yeshivish. But we were very frum - perhaps in some ways, more frum than some yeshivish people. And I have family members that are still like that.

I sometimes feel like people in Lakewood equate yeshivish with frum...because of the second category.

I don't think Yesodos is either of these categories in particular.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics