Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Buy a single or duplex in Lakewood?
Previous  1  2

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 10:48 pm

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:30 am
amother wrote:
We pay about $10,000 taxes for our Lakewood duplex.
Obviously there is less privacy but if the other choice is a single home that's very close to the next single home, there's not much of a difference, and most new single homes in Lakewood are like that.

10k in taxes?! I pay $900 for my Baltimore duplex. It may go up to $3500 in a year or two but wow. Huge difference!
Eta - just started a spin off of this so I dont thread jack.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
10k in taxes?! I pay $900 for my Baltimore duplex. It may go up to $3500 in a year or two but wow. Huge difference!
Eta - just started a spin off of this so I dont thread jack.

How big is ur duplex? Does it have 6 bedrooms plus rentable basement plus raw attic plus raw peach kitchen plus newly built

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
How big is ur duplex? Does it have 6 bedrooms plus rentable basement plus raw attic plus raw peach kitchen plus newly built
4 bedrooms and smaller than yours. I wouldnt dream of renting any of it, not my game plan. No pesach kitchen. But in general, taxes are way cheaper here no matter what are you live in. Massive houses here will all you listed and way more are way lower taxed.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 12:04 pm
[quote="amother"]4 bedrooms and smaller than yours. I wouldnt dream of renting any of it, not my game plan. No pesach kitchen. But in general, taxes are way cheaper here no matter what are you live in. Massive houses here will all you listed and way more are way lower taxed.[/quote

Do you live in an area where it's safe for your girls to go walking with their friends at night?

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 12:06 pm
[quote="Chayalle"]
amother wrote:
4 bedrooms and smaller than yours. I wouldnt dream of renting any of it, not my game plan. No pesach kitchen. But in general, taxes are way cheaper here no matter what are you live in. Massive houses here will all you listed and way more are way lower taxed.[/quote

Do you live in an area where it's safe for your girls to go walking with their friends at night?

Absolutely.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:

This is what I have, and why I pay $10 k. But I think there's also value in the tiny piece of land which alone is worth $300,000.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 5:11 pm
As others have said while all desirable real estate tends to rise over time, I don’t think lakewood will skyrocket to Brooklyn prices any time soon. If anything the near term trend seems to be flattening and even some dropping of prices. Many kollel people are now buying in Jackson and well off people (and ppl from Brooklyn) are going to Toms River. Add to the formula the dozens and dozens of new duplexes going up at every conceivable corner, and you get a softer Lakewood market, or at least a lid on the prices for the next while.

But obviously a single will always be worth more than a duplex (in a comparable location), for the same reason it costs more now.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:51 pm
I live in a duplex and wish I lived in a single family. taxes are about 9500 . single family is about 12 to 13 thousand for a simple house.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:46 pm
You should buy a house based on what you can afford and which location you prefer, and not it's theoretical future value.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating