Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Skin peeling from lips on Shabbos

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 2:54 pm
Does anyone have any tips to dealing with (chronically) having skin peeling from my lips on Shabbos?

It tends to be an issue in fall/spring and over Yamim Tovim.

I check and prepare my lips right before Shabbos, and vaseline them, but that doesn't prevent the skin peeling.

Once it's peeling, I have a very challenging time keeping my tongue from gravitating to that spot.

I have tried both ignoring it (doesn't work) and awareness to avoid it (doesn't work) and picking a different spot for my tongue to focus on (not successful either).

Any advice from people who have this issue and have been successful in dealing with it either preventatively or on Shabbos itself.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 2:56 pm
Can you keep applying olive oil while your lips are still soft so it doesn't get to the dried out point?

holylandgirl

Post Sat, May 05 2018, 3:48 pm
Do you wear lipstick? It dries lips out a lot.
I have the same issue and it's really difficult, sorry I haven't found a solution...
You might find that drinking a lot hydrates them. And maybe eating oily food (I was told that it's not ok halachically to apply oil )

BTW if you have very dry lips, vaseline is not good enough. It dries my lips out. Buy something stronger, test a few products til you find one that works for you.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, May 05 2018, 10:05 pm
I struggled with this.

Go to amazon and search lip balm. I bought a few of the best ones. Lanisoh helped and now my lips don't peel unless I get nervous and start peeling them or wear long lasting lipstick.

And I told Hashem that I want to keep Shabbos and asked Him to heal my lips.

chag334

Post Sat, May 05 2018, 10:15 pm
amother wrote:
I struggled with this.

Go to amazon and search lip balm. I bought a few of the best ones. Lanisoh helped and now my lips don't peel unless I get nervous and start peeling them or wear long lasting lipstick.

And I told Hashem that I want to keep Shabbos and asked Him to heal my lips.

Oh my goodness same issue!!! Every shabbos.
the lanisoh is a nipple cream that you use on your lips, correct?

mirror

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 1:38 am
On Shabbos itself you can put a drop of oil in a cup and rub it on your lips.

chag334

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 8:13 am
mirror wrote:
On Shabbos itself you can put a drop of oil in a cup and rub it on your lips.

I might be wrong but I think rubbing is an issue. I think u have to dab without smearing or rubbing.

coffeetime

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:14 pm
I've been suffering with this issue for a long while, until I srtarted scrubbing my lips erev shabbos, after I take a shower and the skin is soft. Since I started doing this, the dry skin only reappears not too long before shabbos is out, and sometimes after its out. If you make sure to remove every possible bit of dry skin before, it really helps.

Balabroomstick

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:32 pm
Ok I’ve had this problem ever since I was on accutane and I asked 2 competent rabbis for a solution. I was told that as long as the product is not healing (ie chapstick or ointment) it can be applied with a shinui. So what I do is prepare before shabbos little tin foil packets that I smear Vaseline on and on shabbos dab it on ( being sure to bring your face to the foil not the other way). This way no spearing and no refuah. Maybe ask your own shaila to be sure but this is what I was told.

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:38 pm
Dip cucumber slices in olive oil then slide them between your lips.
It’s derech achila.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:12 pm
chag334 wrote:
Oh my goodness same issue!!! Every shabbos.
the lanisoh is a nipple cream that you use on your lips, correct?

Yes I think it's the same stuff as used for nipples. I think this is marketed for lips. It comes in a 3 pack so I haven't ordered any in a long time. It's super thick. And when we come home from a weekend away in the summer and my bedroom is 90 degrees, it gets softer and more liquidy.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 7:00 pm
I too have a very hard time with this. I find that when I apply oil/water to my lips I end up having a hard time refraining from picking the loose skin because it becomes very soft. However, when the loose skin is dry I have an easier time not picking it. For that reason I decided to drink water with a straw and not to have chicken soup- this way the the liquid doesn't loosen/soften the dry skin and its easier not to pick it. (It doesn't look so nice but I keep on reminding myself that in the eyes of hashem it's the most beautiful thing!)

amother
Purple

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 7:19 pm
In summary-
1. I try not to let my lips become wet once the skin begins to peel. (Drink with straw, no soup etc)
2. When I get an urge to pick I remind myself that it's a real physical feeling that is telling my body to pick. Like certain neurons that are firing are telling my brain that I must pick (Meaning, I am not just crazy for needing to pick so badly, it's very validating). However I focus on the fact that this "real physical feeling" is actually an allergic reaction that my body is experiencing as a result of all the previous times that I picked. Therefore everytime I pick, my body gets an "allergic reaction" in the form of feeling an even stronger need to pick. If I break the habit, this allergic reaction would end. (The neurons would stop sending that message to the brain even if the skin is hanging loose.) If I don't break the habit, the allergic reaction would get stronger and stronger.
3. The urge to pick can also come at a time of extra stress, nervousness, or boredom. So when I feel an urge to pick I try to figure out what I am feeling and then help myself feel better (less stressed etc) by thinking certain calming thoughts. (Hashem is in charge, deep breathing etc)
4. I daven to Hashem when I bench licht that he should help me.
5. When I begin to feel embarrassed by the way it looks I think how my skin can be traded in for real gold in Hashem's eyes, or how all the Malachim are saying how beautiful I am that way.
Hatzlocha!

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 12:21 pm
wow, I'm the OP, and it's amazing to me that other people deal with this too. I thought it was just me. I totally identify with so many of the responses. (eg, yes it looks bad, but to HaShem it's beautiful etc...)
I also find that making my lips oily can make it worse...there are some interesting ideas people suggested, like the straw.
I do prep my lips on erev shabbos, but sometimes I wonder if maybe it'd be better if I didn't?

I love the idea of the lansinoh for lips (just googled it)! Thank you!

And also the idea of speaking to a Rav about it - it never occurred to me that maybe there's a solution halachically.

Thank you so much to everyone who responded - I got so much chizuk from seeing each and every one of your answers. May HaShem help each of us to have an easy time in shmiras shabbos with this issue.

tichellady

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 1:33 pm
Get a lip roll on to use on shabbos. I have one with tea tree oil that works well.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 1:47 pm
My daughters lips where constantly dry. She also had a hard time wearing contact lenses. She started taking omega vitamins and both problems went away. When she stops taking the vitamins - the dryness comes back.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 10:58 pm
Hi,

I'm the OP.

Just wanted to say that I tried the lansinoh this week and it was great! Thank you!

(what's lip roll on? where to get it?)

thanks for the idea about the omega 3.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions