Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Finish my BA if I don't know what I can use it for?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:01 am
Hi all,

I'm a student in Excelsior college going for a BS in Liberal Arts. I so far have 95 credits.
It has been sitting for a while now.. I'm thinking if there's any point in completing it if there's nothing I can use it for. I am unsure what I'd like to pursue, if anything at all.
Is there any point in completing it just to "have it?"

Right now I'm paying an annual fee of 500. On the other hand I've also spent a good 6-7K on what I amassed so far, so it may be a pity just to toss it all down the drain.

As to what I was thinking when I started it, I was thinking maybe I'll be a Head Start or Title I teacher which a this BA is enough. I've since lost interest in that, and if I do decide to pursue something it would be much more specific, and something that I really have interest in doing.

Any advice?

Also- does anyone know if credits expire? If I drop out, can I pick up where I left off in a few years from now?

Thanks. I appreciate any advice.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:06 am
Credits don’t expire - but sometimes prerequisites change.

An incomplete BA would need to be explained in a job interview if you put it on your resume.

A complete BA shows an employer that you have what it takes to get through college.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:10 am
So take some time to figure out what you want to do. But now that you’ve started your BA, IMO it looks better to employers to finish it if possible so you look like someone who follows through and is capable.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:12 am
dancingqueen wrote:
So take some time to figure out what you want to do. But now that you’ve started your BA, IMO it looks better to employers to finish it if possible so you look like someone who follows through and is capable.

Even if it won't be in any way related to the field?

Thanks for your advice.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:40 am
amother wrote:
Even if it won't be in any way related to the field?

Thanks for your advice.

Will you start and finish another program before you apply for a job?

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:46 am
[quote="amother"]Even if it won't be in any way related to the field?

Thanks for your advice.[/quote

Is your BA going to just be liberal arts or something more specific (English, history, biology). What do you want to do?

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
Credits don’t expire - but sometimes prerequisites change.

An incomplete BA would need to be explained in a job interview if you put it on your resume.

A complete BA shows an employer that you have what it takes to get through college.

Are you sure that credits don't ever expire? I think each college has different rules, and also, technology credits (not saying OP has any of those) DO expire.

Most careers nowadays require a master's, so your BA will probably be useful in whichever career you choose. Also, the college may change the requirements in the future and you may need different courses, may cost you more money, etc. That would be a gamble that you are taking.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:56 am
Many colleges only accept transfer credits within the last 10 years or so. So be careful as even those places that don't currently expire may one day change- it's a gamble.
I would say just finish it up. A BA is something concrete while 95 credits say "I can't finish what I start".

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:01 am
I think Clep only keeps scores for 20 years, so if you have any cleps, they might expire (if you don't finish through Excelsior). Also, many of the other credits are evaluated through ACE or NCCRS, those organizations can disappear and so will your credits.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:04 am
Are you missing specific credits? Can you choose what courses to you use for those?

Like are all your General Education Requirements complete and then the rest of the credits you can take toward a specific focus. Like if you take 30 credits toward programming then you may be able to get a BA with a focus on computer programming. (I did something like that through thomas edison and have no problem working with that degree)

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:21 am
wow you already have 95 credits? Just finish! You can be done in a couple of months! Whats holding you back from finishing?
Seems like a big waste of time and money if you dont and also risky if you ever lose those credits.

trixx

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:27 am
If you're doing tti you're literally a few tests away from finishing. Just do it. You don't know when an opportunity will present itself.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
Are you missing specific credits? Can you choose what courses to you use for those?

Like are all your General Education Requirements complete and then the rest of the credits you can take toward a specific focus. Like if you take 30 credits toward programming then you may be able to get a BA with a focus on computer programming. (I did something like that through thomas edison and have no problem working with that degree)

I think that's a good idea.
I don't know exactly what I'd like to go for, but it will probably be in the social work area.
So I can get credit hours in that focus, and it will most likely help me in the event I pursue a masters in that area.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
wow you already have 95 credits? Just finish! You can be done in a couple of months! Whats holding you back from finishing?
Seems like a big waste of time and money if you dont and also risky if you ever lose those credits.

What's holding me back?
Firstly the $$. I simply don't have the extra money now, but I may need to dig into savings. Otherwise I risk throwing out all the money spent so far.

But mainly, I guess is patience and motivation. I feel like it's worthless, so why am I doing it?
It feels like a complete waste of time and energy.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:43 am
trixx wrote:
If you're doing tti you're literally a few tests away from finishing. Just do it. You don't know when an opportunity will present itself.

I did it through ECC which is kind of similar to TTI.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:45 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I think Clep only keeps scores for 20 years, so if you have any cleps, they might expire (if you don't finish through Excelsior). Also, many of the other credits are evaluated through ACE or NCCRS, those organizations can disappear and so will your credits.

I'm unsure if what I did is Cleps.
It went through several different agencies/organizations, studied courses and then took a test- which I think is what Cleps are.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:45 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Are you sure that credits don't ever expire? I think each college has different rules, and also, technology credits (not saying OP has any of those) DO expire.

Most careers nowadays require a master's, so your BA will probably be useful in whichever career you choose. Also, the college may change the requirements in the future and you may need different courses, may cost you more money, etc. That would be a gamble that you are taking.

Yeh. Makes sense. Now I just need the will and motivation to do it. Grrrr.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:11 pm
There are many entry level jobs where they won't hire someone without a B.A., even though the degree is irrelevant to the job. Having the degree will open up options. My sister got her B.A., then worked for a temp agency in NYC, where she was sent out for temp secretarial positions. At one of those temp positions, they noticed that she was smart and hardworking, and when they found out she had a degree, they hired her for a full time regular position. She moved up the ranks there (not secretarial anymore, but database management stuff she taught herself on the job), and ended up being there 10 years, making good money. She finally left the job to freelance and is making very good money doing contract work for other organizations that need the skills she taught herself on the job.

Definitely finish your degree, you never know what doors it will open! It's pretty much a basic requirement for most white collar jobs.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:19 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

Credits may no longer be accepted towards a program, especially when being transferred, but they don’t technically expire.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:
There are many entry level jobs where they won't hire someone without a B.A., even though the degree is irrelevant to the job. Having the degree will open up options. My sister got her B.A., then worked for a temp agency in NYC, where she was sent out for temp secretarial positions. At one of those temp positions, they noticed that she was smart and hardworking, and when they found out she had a degree, they hired her for a full time regular position. She moved up the ranks there (not secretarial anymore, but database management stuff she taught herself on the job), and ended up being there 10 years, making good money. She finally left the job to freelance and is making very good money doing contract work for other organizations that need the skills she taught herself on the job.

Definitely finish your degree, you never know what doors it will open! It's pretty much a basic requirement for most white collar jobs.

True, all of you are making a lot of sense.
At wits end Now how to actually get started and work up some motivation.. At wits end
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics