Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Family vacation ideas: Departing from the catskills

DVOM

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:07 am
Good Morning!

We'd like to take a family vacation departing from and returning to the Catskills, and I'm turning to my Imamother palls for ideas! Here are our criteria: a)We don't want to drive too far. I'd say 4 hours is our max. b)We don't want to spend a whole lot of money. So cheaper entertainment ideas would be great. c)My kids really want to go to an amusement park. This is somewhat in conflict with criteria b because most amusement parks I looked into (Hershey park, Six Flags) are a fortune! I'm hoping some of you know of a cheaper option. d)Ages of my boys range from 3-10.

Any good ideas?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:09 am
Lake George! It isn't so far from the Catskills & there's such a great cute amusement park geared for kids.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:10 am
So amusement parks are expensive but that was our major part of our vacation. We went from the Catskills to Lake George for two nights a few years ago. We stayed at the hotel that is literally next door to Great Escape.
The rest of the trip we did simple things like Around the World Mini Golf and a ride on the Minnie Ha-Ha Steamboat on Lake George.

benny

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:19 am
Lancaster can also work. It’s so wholesome and peaceful. Dutch wonderland is a really nice amusement park geared to kids. Hershey’s chocolate world is free. And there’s lots of outdoors things to do.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:21 am
What's there to do in Lake George?

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:25 am
I once drove from the catskills to canada for an occasion, and turned it into a trip. Stopped in lake george, also stayed in oneonta cuz was a short drive to cooperstown, where the baseball hall of fame museum was. We also stopped by saratoga springs( we went with a baby, so different itinierary) but we stayed nearby in a hotel ( they offer a belz discount for larger hotel suite) and we went 2 a nearby drive in movie theater at night
It was alot of fun! I dont remember tho the order of when we went 2 each place

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:25 am
I once drove from the catskills to canada for an occasion, and turned it into a trip. Stopped in lake george, also stayed in oneonta cuz was a short drive to cooperstown, where the baseball hall of fame museum was. We also stopped by saratoga springs( we went with a baby, so different itinierary) but we stayed nearby in a hotel ( they offer a belz discount for larger hotel suite) and we went 2 a nearby drive in movie theater at night
It was alot of fun! I dont remember tho the order of when we went 2 each place

benny

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:28 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
What's there to do in Lake George?

Lots of water sports, the great escape and a bunch of typical tourist stuff like mini golf, smaller amusement park/Water park, a downtown strip with arcades and other typical stuff like I think maybe a Ripleys. They also have outlet shopping.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 9:29 am
Cheaper amusement parks:

Lake George has Magic Forest - a very small amusement park for young children. At 3 -10 your kids are still a good age for it. No roller coasters or anything like that. My kids loved going at that age (10 is probably the max age for it) . It is $20\person.
http://www.magicforestpark.com/about

Knoebels - We LOVE this park and have been going for the past 3 years. You pay per ride. Rides aren't cheap. But you can buy ticket books at local Weiss supermarkets for $4 off each. This past year we went with 5 kids for 5 hours and they went on whatever ride they wanted including most expensive roller coasters and we spent about $80 with the sale books (normally we spend around $120 on rides - it depends a lot on the length of the lines). Its a huge amusement park with rides for all ages. Its really in the middle of no where but somehow we've always managed to work out trips around it.

DVOM

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 9:40 am
Such helpful responses! thank you everyone!

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 10:36 am
Jimminy Peak Mountain Resort. There is a mountain slide , alpine coaster and other rides. There is also zip lines and rope courses. Its very family friendly and peaceful there. It's only 21/2 hours from the Catskills. You can check up their website for prices. There are many different options.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 11:05 am
Jiminy peak is geared more for older kids like teens and adults. There's not much to do there for little kids.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 11:22 am
I second Knoebels. We did it one year coming from the Catskills and all my kids of various ages LOVED it. The best part is that you don't have to pay any admission fee, so for the adults not going on rides it's free, or you only pay for the few rides that they go on. We were with my in-laws and it was perfect.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics