Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
I Won a free $5000 vacation - too good to be true?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:41 pm
I just received a call that I won a free $5000 prize. Basically to enter into the state fair I filled out a raffle, and I was selected. I did fill out the raffle, so I guess thats true.
I receive 4 tickets to 48 destinations, and a free weeks stay in a resort. All I have to do is come down to pick up the prize in person - a two hour drive away, and watch a 2 1/2 hour presentation. I’m assuming it’s a timeshare presentation. But the guy said I’m not obligated to buy anything, and I will still get the package if I don’t buy.
Is it worth all the trouble, or is this some kind of scam? I’m planning to go down and firmly say no to any offers to buy anything.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:44 pm
Scam

das

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:47 pm
Every single person who filled out that "raffle" "won."

Mommy1:)

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:48 pm
these often are scams... There was a media investigation on this sort of thing in Canada. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6yr8W3mc38

buyer beware... also your time is worth money too. Think about the cost of transportation, gas, wear and tear on your car, etc.

Might be an idea to google the company as well as the phone number they called you from and see what comes up.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:48 pm
You didn't win a raffle. Information was collected from the raffle applications to sell all applicants a timeshare presentation where they'll try as best as they can to sell you a timeshare.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:51 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You didn't win a raffle. Information was collected from the raffle applications to sell all applicants a timeshare presentation where they'll try as best as they can to sell you a timeshare.

So it is a legitimate hotel company. If I go down determined to say no to the timeshare offer, is the free vacation worth it?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:52 pm
I wouldn't travel two hours for a time share presentation
But I did go on a vacation and stayed at a hotel free of charge and had to spend one hour the first morning listening to a timeshare presentation and we just decline the offer, enjoyed our time at that hotel for the two free nights and then switched to a different hotel and stayed longer at that destination.

Bsimcha

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:56 pm
I believe everyone 'wins' these things, its a time share presentation, doesn't mean it's not worth it.
I've won every time I've entered!
I've used them a few times for hotels, never found the tickets Worth it for me, have to read the small print

simba

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:57 pm
I have a bridge to sell you!

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:58 pm
Please save yourself from the regret you’ll have after. I myself fell for one of these scams, they are so convincing its scary I almost agreed. Luckily my husband stood firm. They try to convince you to just check your credit score, to see if ur eligible for cheaper rates. Never ever let them check ur credit score. And then they make the free vacation almost impossible giving you only very specific dates to travel and u end up needing to spend a lot of money. I wasted hours of my time and then nvr even went on the vacation.
Please spare yourself, it’s one of my biggest regrets and mortifications for have falling for it. My husband tried to help me not self pity myself by saying you live and learn, and won’t ever make this mistake again.
I’m just trying to spare you.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
So it is a legitimate hotel company. If I go down determined to say no to the timeshare offer, is the free vacation worth it?

You can go. Don't take your kids or anyone that gets enticed. It's super hard to keep saying no over and over for the entire session.
Good luck!

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 9:15 pm
I've done a couple of those. Once my friend and I showed up too late for the presentation, but they had us sign in and gave us the cruise tickets anyway. That was a fun cruise (Norwegian, five day).

DH and I once did it where we watched on the vacation, and they found out we were college students and had no money and we were excused. (The guy was very annoyed that we were selected when we clearly couldn't afford.) The cruise and resort stay that time was not really good. The one day island stay was okay (off the ship) but cruise facilities awful. Resort very very bleh, but whatever. Guess I was already spoiled at that point.

doctorima

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 9:19 pm
Definitely google the phone # and/or name of the company you received to see what experience other people have had with them. I strongly suspect that it's too good to be true.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 9:52 pm
I've done it a few times. We go, listen to the shpiel, say no, and get a great vacation out of it. It was worth it for us but do ur homework and read the fine print. There are always catches that you have to keep an eye on like hidden fees etc.

imasinger

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 9:57 pm
A) you have to be really, really good at saying no. B) they can sell your info, and you can get lots of other "offers", phishing emails, phone calls, junk mail because of it. C) the prize isn't usually that good. D) if you're not good at saying no, you may end up with an expensive timeshare that is next to impossible to get rid of.

Personally, I prefer cheap vacations with no strings attached to this kind of thing.

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 10:02 pm
One thing I would be wary about: anyone can say that the 'free vacation' is 'valued at 5000$'. However what you think is worth 5000 and what I or they think is worth 5000$ may be vastly different.

Think twice....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics