Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Tips for teacher who wants to start a playgroup?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 11:04 am
My kids are all in elementary and high school. I work as a 1st grade teacher in the public school system. I'm feeling burned out by issues to do with my workplace, red tape, difficult coworkers. Love the kids, love teaching, but I'm tired of the public schools.

I'm considering starting a playgroup next year, 2 year olds in my home, but I'm not sure what to expect. How many kids is realistic for one Morah? Are there any curriculum resources available? Any potential pitfalls to avoid? How much prep time is it likely to involve?

Thanks for any advice!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 11:56 am
I had a project, with my mom, to open a Jewish place like that when we lived OOT. But we bore in mind that even if it was "keeping" more than "teaching", tiny kids are very exhausting even if we were two. If you do it legally you'll have visits and stuff, you may need to change stuff in your home (I live in apartment that belonged to a lady who did that).
A lot will depend on the teaching vs "place to put kids ratio

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 1:11 pm
If you want to be legal, your state will tell you how many kids you can enroll, although of course you can have fewer. In NJ, a family day care provider can care for up to five children (plus three family children). To care for more children at one time you would need to set up as a child care center, which has considerably more requirements to follow.

keym

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 1:21 pm
The first thing I would reccomend is to research appropriate development for 20-30 month babies.
I know a few people who wanted to set up such playgroups without realizing that these are babies. They need low pressure, lots of simple toys, space to run, and not an intense schedule. They don't need learning and a curriculum. They need sand, play dough, Lego, bubbles, and coloring.
And you will be diapering, napping, weaning off naps, potty training.
Just be prepared for a lot of hands on physical work- running after and very little intellectual stimulation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers