Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Robbed

suomynona

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 2:28 am
Well, my husband went out last night to sleep in the succah shortly after 1 AM, to find that someone had stolen his mattress and pillow and "blanket" (a sheet)! He had been in the succa only 45 minutes before that and is pretty sure it was still there.
This is the good mattress from his bed Sad So last night he used a mattress from the guest bedroom, but we are having 2 sleepover guests for the second days, so I don't know what we'll do. Where can we buy a mattress on chol hamoed in Israel ??
The sheet that my husband was using for a blanket was from a different set of linen than the sheet on the mattress and the pillowcase, so from the 2 sets of linen I bought when I was engaged, I don't have a complete set now Sad
Why would someone steal a mattress? I just don't get it. And I don't know how they got it out of the succa without us hearing it. The succa is right behind our kitchen window which was wide open, and the walls are made of plastic so would have made noise. And how did that person drag the mattress to wherever? My husband thinks that whoever did it must have taken it to a car in the parking lot. Actually, it would't fit in a small Israeli car, so it would have to be a van. And why would someone who can afford a van want to steal a mattress? And how did they risk going into our succa after midnight thinking that no one would be there?
I just DON'T get it.

hila

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 2:33 am
{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

strange . But maybe it was kids. Have ahunt around today and see if it is anywhere nearby

If not - all major stores are open this week, and you should be able to buy a mmatterss. Call Mercaz hagummi in Kikar Davidka. No idea if tehy deliver though.
Call Sammy Fenner in RiseHi (Talpiot) and explain what happened 02-673-5405 . he may deliver to you. (Nice guy and reasonable )

Behatslacha

H

suomynona

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 4:43 am
Well, my husband just went to the succah to eat breakfast and the mattress was back, pillow and sheet and all. shock
I guess Hila, your hunch about the kids isn't that far from the truth. Or else someone needed something to sleep on in his succa and decided my husband wasn't using it last night. Only in Israel!

hila

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 8:27 am
Really strange !!!!

but BH it is back. I suggest you stnad watch tonight while dh puts his pj's on !

Oh well Sammy fenner is still a nice guy Smile

mali

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 8:37 am
BH it's back. I felt so bad for you.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 8:57 am
WOW - and Nervous ... and Twisted Evil hm ... guess they were tired What

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 10:26 am
Oh, No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 10:34 am
weird!!
I guess it was some kind of joke......though I think that's considered stealing, as well.
weird, weird, weird.
moadim l'simcha!

Motek

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 11:52 am
suomynona wrote:
Only in Israel!

not very complimentary ...

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 12:07 pm
Motek wrote:
suomynona wrote:
Only in Israel!

depends how you look at it. The guy didn't steal her silver leichter, he only 'borrowed' her bed to do the mitzvah of sleeping in the sukkah.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 12:10 pm
or maybe it was just an anti succah sleeping protest What

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 12:20 pm
Oh, I forgot that for some people its an 'aveira' to sleep in the sukkah Wink

TammyTammy

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 12:24 pm
Motek wrote:
suomynona wrote:
Only in Israel!

Not necessarily... it may just be a comment on differing societal norms. It may be considered normal to "borrow" such items in Israel while such things in the US are frowned upon.

Another example is hitchhiking. This activity is illegal in most (all?) places in the US and is frowned upon; yet in Israel it seems to be readily accepted.

(Of course, never having lived in Israel, I could be wrong about the "borrowing" too.)

Tammy

mali

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 12:49 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
depends how you look at it. The guy didn't steal her silver leichter, he only 'borrowed' her bed to do the mitzvah of sleeping in the sukkah.
that's a מצווה הבאה על ידי עבירה.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 1:32 pm
mali wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
that's a מצווה הבאה על ידי עבירה.

Oh I wasn't justifying or saying that its allowed, just trying to be דן לכף זכות, what ppl. wouldn't do for a mitzvah!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics