Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
No Laundry on Chol Hamoed- BUT WHY??

SuperWify

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:10 pm
Is it supposed to be because we’re not supposed to do work? Like, less work for us?

Trying to figure out if you’ll have enough bras, shells, tights and baby undershirts and baby clothes is a lot more work.

Trying to pick through all the dirty laundry and taking out what you need for second days is a lot more work (and not to mention loads).

Coming home after yt to a week and half worth of laundry.. AHHHHH!

Okvent over. Suffice to say my laundry closet and the area around it (my entire hallway 🙄 and even the entrance to the bathroom) is covered with smelly clothes.

Oh the joys!

Chag sameach y’all.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:12 pm
Ahahaha! My feelings exactly. Although I do wash the super smelly stuff, like if my baby leaks, because it is the exact opposite of simchas yo. Tov for my pregnant shnozzola to sniff that aroma....

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:13 pm
A lot of people do laundry for the kids. And throw things in once the wash is already running.
Good luck and the enjoy the rest of YT!

SuperWify

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:15 pm
To be clear- I washed towels, shmattes because they were going to moldy. I did wash the stuff I needed for my baby and myself.

But once I’m doing load why can’t I do it all???

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:19 pm
Websites such as OU, Chabad and other frum sites talk about what is permitted to be washed. We always washed for babies.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:25 pm
I also overpermit myself. Say my hubby needs more shirts, I’ll wash like 16 in case he spills grape juice on himself ten times a day....

bigsis144

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:29 pm
Ah the laundry paradox -

Can’t do laundry during the Nine Days ‘cuz it makes us happy

Can’t do laundry on chol hamoed ‘cuz it’s a happy time

(I know, one is about the result, the other is about the action, but I too find it annoying)

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
I also overpermit myself. Say my hubby needs more shirts, I’ll wash like 16 in case he spills grape juice on himself ten times a day....

My son goes through 3 shirts every shabbos
He has 6 shirts so he is ok for a 2 day Yom tov. There is no way I'm buying him 18 shirts. I wash whatever we need, which is almost everything. (Kids have enough underwear because they went to camp)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:47 pm
I'm due simchas torah and I can't help but think about all the laundry that will be waiting for me afterwards. Almost hope the baby is late so that I can wash laundry before it comes!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
I'm due simchas torah and I can't help but think about all the laundry that will be waiting for me afterwards. Almost hope the baby is late so that I can wash laundry before it comes!

I was in prodromal labor during the 9 days and just kept washing every time a garment hit the bottom of the hamper. I had to know that everything was ready for the birth and felt I was a choleh and told people not to start up with me.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 6:11 pm
Because until recently people wore dirty clothes - or more accurately wore clothing for longer than most people do now. Washing clothing was an incredibly difficult job - it was one of the first chores that women - even relatively poor women - outsourced if they could to washerwomen. If you have never read the process of what it was like to wash clothing before washing machines - it's eye opening in terms of the sheer physical effort it took.

So between the less frequent washing days - it literally used to take all day to wash and then all day to iron - hence Monday washday - Tuesday - ironing and clothing being changed infrequently - not being able to wash clothing for a few days was not something that inconvenienced a household.

Now it's an anachronism since throwing a load in the wash frequently is much less stressful than having to do 10 loads because there are no clean clothes, towels and linens.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics